PDA

View Full Version : Shelley on Corrie - Spoiler

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
08-04-2005, 13:29
Sorry if this has already been posted but I found the following on DS.

Emx

The confidence of poor Shelley Unwin hits a new low in Coronation Street when her boyfriend tells her she needs a face-lift.

Cruel Charlie Stubbs, played by Bill Ward, is not content with constantly hassling the Rovers barmaid about her weight and forcing her on to the scales in public.

The builder now convinces Shelley that her low self-esteem is all down to her appearance - and persuades her that having surgery would make her look and feel better.

Blonde Shelley, played by Sally Lindsay, is so beaten down by her lover's constant bullying that she does not realise that he is the problem, not her.

And so she accepts his suggestion willingly - anything to keep the love of her life by her side.

"He has already reduced her a gibbering wreck who honestly believes she is a worthless soul," an insider told the Daily Star.

"But it gets worse next month when he actually wants to change the way she looks."

Trinity
08-04-2005, 13:34
This is really sad, but I suppose that the fact that there are real women like Shelley out there makes it worthwhile.

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
08-04-2005, 13:38
I was just talking to a colleague at work who's in her 50's and she said she is really pleased this storyline has been covered as most of her married life, she was subjected to this kind of torment. I think Corrie are doing a superb job with this.

Tamzi
08-04-2005, 13:41
Poor Shelley. Charlie is so so horrible. I am sure she will eventually realise, wouldn't want to be around then.

Siobhan
08-04-2005, 13:48
That is the sad part about this story line.. there is women out there who do put up with this stuff.. Hopefully they will show that Shelley realises this and thing get better for her.. it would show people in the same suitation that things will be much better if they believe in themselves first...

tammyy2j
08-04-2005, 14:19
It is a good storyline but i don't Shelley was the best character for it to happen to. When she first arrived in Corrie she was really feisty. I hope the storyline ends soon as it is dragging on for so long.

Bad Wolf
08-04-2005, 14:25
it wont end soon, its going through until the autumn, they are trying to be realistic with this domestic violence isnt over in two weeks, some people suffer years of abuse at the hands of some one they love

sorry if i sound ratty about this, but the storyline reflects an issue very close to me

*vcl*
08-04-2005, 14:55
I think corrie are doing a fab job with this story line, Shelley may have been a fiesty woman before she met charlie but that just shows what domestic violence can do to someone, its slowly eats away at you day by day,

I have to agree with Rach, its a true reflection of violence, people can live with this for years without even the closest of family and friends knowing anything. they Cant just stop the story line and forget about it over night, this sort of thing affect a person for the rest of their lives.

some of the things that charlie says and does are so realistic its scary!

Bad Wolf
08-04-2005, 14:59
i think they have done a brilliant job with this, its so horrible to see some one you know being manipulated in such away, corrie have it spot on,

will bev return to help her daughter?

*vcl*
08-04-2005, 15:03
i think they have done a brilliant job with this, its so horrible to see some one you know being manipulated in such away, corrie have it spot on,

will bev return to help her daughter?
I cant see shelley letting bev come and help!

she is so under charlie "spell" now and he knows it.

Shelley is the only one who can help herself, hopefully intome she will start to see charlie for his true colours and stand up to him but until them there is nothing Bev can do !

Bad Wolf
08-04-2005, 15:07
i think bev will return towards the end, when shelly starts waking up to things, it will happen eventually, but i think before that day she is in for a hell of a ride with him.

he will destroy her and the next storyline will be how she come's to terms with this and rebuilds her self confidence,

i really admire corrie for doing this storyline so well, the aftermath is going to be tough

Debs
08-04-2005, 15:31
this is a brill storyline for corrie to tackle. they are doing it so well and im glad they havent rushed it. i think they should keep it going till next year then it will be very realistic.

daver
08-04-2005, 16:47
an ideal ending to this would be Peter Barlow returning and rescuing Shelly from Charlie. That would be too good! :cheer:

Bad Wolf
08-04-2005, 16:49
she can't be rescued, she needs to leave for her self, and break the cycle charlie currently has her in

Siobhan
08-04-2005, 17:10
she can't be rescued, she needs to leave for her self, and break the cycle charlie currently has her in

Yes.. until she can see Charlie for what he is, she will never ever be able to leave

daver
08-04-2005, 17:28
yeah, you're right. But maybe Peter makes her see what Charlie is doin to her

Lisa321
08-04-2005, 17:38
it wont end soon, its going through until the autumn, they are trying to be realistic with this domestic violence isnt over in two weeks, some people suffer years of abuse at the hands of some one they love

sorry if i sound ratty about this, but the storyline reflects an issue very close to me

Its a good point, it doesn't just happen over a couple of weeks. :( I think this storyline is fab and Sally Lindsay (Who plays Shelley) Is a fab actress. :)

xXx
Lisa
xXx

xxloopylauraxx
09-04-2005, 21:39
why do the writers always pick on poor shelly couldn't they have picked another character that hasn't been through the mill already?

Lisa321
10-04-2005, 16:08
I think thats kind of the point, she was a loud mouthy girl when she first came and look at her now. Worse off obviously. I think most of the characters have had some sort of a hard time.

Johnny Allen
10-04-2005, 17:52
So long as Shelley escapes Charlie then it will be a worthwile storyline. It will show women that they can escape domestic violence and don't have to put up with it. It is a good storyline to run but its going on for a bit too long.

Jade
10-04-2005, 18:03
why do the writers always pick on poor shelly couldn't they have picked another character that hasn't been through the mill already?

I think they chose Shelly as she was venaurable and at a low point in her life, showing that men like Charlie pick on venaurable women who he will be able to manipulate.

I agree with Rach in that this storyline cannot be over with in two weeks, some women put up with this sort of abuse and more for years and years so it would be unrelaistic to let the storyline be over and done with in a month or so.

So far Corrie are doing a good job, if it helps just one person escape from an abusive relationship.

Lisa321
11-04-2005, 13:02
Remeber when he yanked out her earrings? And so she was hiding her ears when she was talking to people.That was truly horrible :(
xXx

soap_gal_
11-04-2005, 13:16
This will be a sad stroyline, but it's good for all the people who have suffered at the hands of domestic violence, like myself and my mum.

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
11-04-2005, 14:09
I agree with the comments on here that this kind of storyline cannot be over in a few weeks. It shows that someone like Shelley (firey and outgoing) can be slowly worn down to a shadow of her former self. So far, the storyline is very realistic and I applaud Corrie and the ofcourse the actors for their work. The man that plays Charlie is brilliant and also a spokesman for domestic violence now.

Lisa321
15-04-2005, 20:28
I heard a RUMOUR that Charlie eventually kills Shelley.
But i don't think this is true, just maybe that her kills her inside. if you know what i mean. This person had no source either so lol.

chamone256
15-04-2005, 20:54
i heard a rumour that said bev was going to die
anyone know if this is true :confused: :confused:

Debbie Meadows
18-04-2005, 12:19
WHAT A CREEP CHARLIE IS I CAN'T STAND HIM
not sure if he dies but i heard that Sunita gets more involved and goes to see Bev and eventually convinces Shelly what he is really like and they plot to det revenge in "big story line" during autumn not sure how true or if anyone else has heard the same

Bad Wolf
18-04-2005, 12:22
i put in another thread on here, that sunita and dev have a big part to play in charlies down fall, bill ward the actor who plays him says so in an interview in marie claire, it happens in summer!

Debbie Meadows
18-04-2005, 13:52
I didn't know Dev would get involved wasn't he sacked or something?

Bad Wolf
18-04-2005, 13:53
i think it might be the combined effort of dev, sunita, bev, liz and dreary that get involved

dev wasn;t sacked, just given time off to deal with his problems