PDA

View Full Version : Eastenders - as good as it used to be?

Chris_2k11
01-04-2005, 02:54
I watched the Eastenders A-Z of storylines programme on BBC1 on Easter Monday, and looking back at some of the old storylines, and how Eastenders used to be, I really think it is "nowhere near" as good as it used to be. Looking back, some of the storylines used to be really gripping and unmissable to watch. But now, over the past few months, I really dont find it as good to watch as it used to be. They need to atleast get another storyline going for a start off. And I dont think axing and changing the characters is making much of a difference either, It's not their fault that they're not given good enough storylines, it's the crew's. Anyway, I just really think it's nowhere near as entertaining and exciting these days as it used to be. What does everyone else think?? thanx xx :hmm:

Cherryz
01-04-2005, 03:25
i'll try and find it later, but in media debate lessons, one of the topics is british soaps, and so we have to read a load of arguements and academic studies on them and whatnot. and somewhere on it someone from eastenders was saying that the aim of their show was to tackle racism and homophobia etc. and basically to have more characters of different sexualities and ethnicities. the article is a few years old I think. but the class was basically like yeah, whatever.

Toxic
01-04-2005, 13:55
I think it's as good as it used to be, i dont think its gone downhill or anything.

dddMac1
01-04-2005, 16:20
I don't think it is as good as it used to be but it is improving

willow
01-04-2005, 16:25
over the past little while it has got really boring, now they have got rid of den and the ferriaras they have got some space to bring some intersting characters in to the square. wether they will or not is another matter!!!

Princess
01-04-2005, 17:18
It will get better soon with Kat, Phil and Dennis coming back. And then when Peggy comes back it will be brilliant!

Alisha
01-04-2005, 18:19
Is eastenders as good as it used to be? In my opinion, it's a no. I do think the show has shown some improvement though but I feel they have a long way to go before the can reclaim thier eastenders glory. However they can do it. :)

Firstly, I don't think axeing and bringing back favourate characters in a bid to save the show is the right approach to save the soap. True, we all have our favourates but I feel that if anything it's poor scripts that have let the show down not the chararacters/actors. Even when favourates like Kat, Dennis, Den and Sharon were pressent the show was going downhill and to me that was mostly down to shoddy writting. There has been lack of consisitancy over the past year as well as poor character development and unneccassary love triangles.

When I get the chance I like to catch the old epsiodes on uk gold and the difference between then and now is very apparent and I know which episodes I prefer. Back then there was a balance in the show with the right storylines, better writting and more family centred storylines which is what eastenders is all about. Moreover the depth of each individual character came across far more effectively. :)

All soaps go through thier bad patches and I do feel that the ee slump has been highly exaggerated by the press with some very bias comments and figures. Even though it's not what it used to be there is still drama and some great talent on the show. EE need to take note of what viewers want and cut down on the amount of gangsters they recruit.

***sharon rules***
01-04-2005, 18:23
i didnt see that i miss it.i wanted to watch it.

callummc
03-04-2005, 03:37
For me i think it's now becoming a chore to watch,i watch out of loyalty,it's definatly lost somthing and i don't just mean some of the best charectors,they are no longer tackling issues that make you feel you can't wait for the next episode,they've lost the humour as well,not so long ago i'd watch the omnibus as well,but at the moment 1 showing is 1 to many,what a shame,maybe things will start to improve now KH as gone,well'put it this way,it couldn't get any worse.

parkerman
03-04-2005, 13:29
It's definitely not as good as it used to be in my opinion. I was only thinking the other day how much better it used to be than Coronation Street and that I couldn't miss an episode of Eastenders. Everything took second place to that! Now, I just feel I can take it or leave it whereas I feel I don't want to miss Coronation Street. They seem to have much better storylines where you want to know what is going to happen and can't wait for the next episode. As far as Eastenders goes there is no storyline now that really makes me say, I can't miss that.

andromeda
03-04-2005, 14:21
I think EE's has had a few episodes recently that have actually made me want more. It's been a while since that happened regularly, but I think it will again. Is it as good as it once was... nope, but I don't think any of the soaps are as good as they once were. There are too many episodes for all soaps and whilst that's the case then quality can't be maintained. I know Corrie and Emmerdale appear to be coping at the moment, but I can guarantee you that their time for shoddy storylines etc will come & go again.

The writing is ultimately the key factor... no mater how good an actor is... if the writing isn't there then what's the point?! Thankfully we have seen an improvement in writing in recent times, and whilst it's not completely there yet the future for EE is looking good.

callummc
03-04-2005, 18:42
The problem is it's very hit and miss,we get 1 excellent episode but unlike the old days the its folloed up with a load of rubbish,i think your right though it is mainly down to the writing,some of the scripts are downright pathetic,except sarah phelps when you get an excellent episode 9 times out of 10 it has sarahs name to it.

Alisha
03-04-2005, 19:37
I agree.

Sarah is by far the best ee writter. So far I haven't found any of her episodes disapointing in the slightest and two of my favourate episodes last year were written by her. When there is a Sarah Phelps episode, it certainly shows.

Layne
03-04-2005, 20:20
Yes Sarah Phelps Is fab!
We love ya girl
Keep going!
Luv ya all
Layne
x x x

andromeda
04-04-2005, 10:56
I'll definately agree that Sarah Phelps seems to be one of, if not the, best writers EE has at the moment. She certainly seems to provide quailty.