PDA

View Full Version : Stacey reporting Keith Miller

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 14:34
I apologise if there is already a thread dedicated to this but I've checked and so far I can't see anything.

Basically, I'm already peed off with Eastenders with the whole (in my opinion) unnecessary Sonia and her biological daughter storyline but another thing that’s got me annoyed is Stacey Slater getting shunned by the community for reporting Keith for benefit fraud.

Having checked the Department for Work and Pensions website, this is what they have to say on benefit fraud:

Every year we estimate that benefit cheats cost around £2 billion in stolen benefits. They are taking public money from people who really need it. The total cost of this fraud is equivalent to £80 a year from each family in Great Britain.

The Department for Work and Pensions is taking positive action to:
• emphasise that benefit fraud is a serious problem and will not be tolerated
• make it harder to commit benefit fraud
• detect more benefit fraud
• stop those who might be thinking of committing benefit fraud, and
• encourage people to report those who are committing benefit fraud.
Source: http://www.targetingfraud.gov.uk/

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but there’s a huge ad campaign with the slogan 'we're onto you'? What is Eastenders doing? They're making their viewers think that by being a law abiding citizen, you could get the reputation as a 'grass'. Hardly 'encouraging people to report'.

Nothing pees me off more than benefit fraud. Just as Stacey said, before being shunned, my family and I work hard for a living and pay our taxes. Why should people that screw the system get away with it?

Why is Eastenders allowing the community's treatment of Stacey to be seen as appropriate?

Rach33
31-03-2005, 14:39
I totally agree Stacey might have had her personal reasons for what she did but the Millers were ripping off the social and were bound to get found out and all of a sudden Stacey is in wrong and the Millers who were commiting the fraud in the first palce can do no wrong it's a bit double standards to me.

Oh and I agree about Sonia and Martin I don't agree with that storyline at all it's very inappropriate and is sending out the wrong message to people who have given children up for adoption or are planning too

Four of my cousins are adopted and I find the storyline just :thumbsdow BAD

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 14:47
JBL - I'm adopted too so I'm with you there and take particular offence to the storyline. There is also the prospect that I may not be able to have children of my own and may be an adoptive Mum myself one day.

dddMac1
31-03-2005, 14:51
i think they are just trying to deal with things that happen in real life plus if i remember Rightly the whole sonia Martin storyline was requested by the Viewers on the Eastenders Board which has closed down now

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 14:55
Yeah, I guess a whole community would see that stealing from them (which the Millers effectively did) as not a big deal! Just like there are hard nosed kray-like Gangsters still running the Eastend :rolleyes:

Really though, it may be trying to reflect real life but all it seems to be doing is ballsing up real life for us. Who would want to dob in a benefit frauster now?? Just like who would want to adopt a child now, knowing the heartache you would probably get from the likes of Sonia later on down the line.

Rach33
31-03-2005, 14:59
God real life I must be living in my own little bubble then

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:22
rubbish gangsta

i totally agree with what you are saying!! i had a friend(NOW EX FRIEND!!) who was working when claiming. i actually reported her for it as i totally disagreed espeically when me and my husband who is working were struggling to pay for everything our son needed!! i do not think that the whole neighbourhood would have turned against me!!

QUOTE:I'm adopted too so I'm with you there and take particular offence to the storyline. There is also the prospect that I may not be able to have children of my own and may be an adoptive Mum myself one day.

I agree with you on this as well! i ama mum to a little boy but due to my medical history i may not be able to have any more children! i am desperate to give my little boy a sibling or two! me and my partner talked about adoption andn agred that it could be a option i the future. but i would have second thought s if i thought that i adopted a child and there was a cahnce that she would be taken off us or our family if anything happened to us!!

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 15:26
Total agree that Stacey should not have been shunned. I work damn hard for a living and it makes me angry that some people who do nothing but scam the government seem to get everything... I am paying high rents, high childcare and some people who are suppose to be on benefit get cheaper rent, free childcare and they work on the side too.. it is not fair and EE should show that you can't get away with benefit fraud :angry:

As for Sonia and Martin... totally not true to life... this is twice she has made attempts under false pretenses to contact her adopted daughter who she gave up her right too

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:29
[QUOTE=debs26]rubbish gangsta

i totally agree with what you are saying!! i had a friend(NOW EX FRIEND!!) who was working when claiming. i actually reported her for it as i totally disagreed espeically when me and my husband who is working were struggling to pay for everything our son needed!! i do not think that the whole neighbourhood would have turned against me!!

Well i for one would have turned against you, and the fact that she was your friend was a cruel thing for you to do, i think people that do squeal up people for things like this are just nosey curtain pullers!!!!! :thumbsdow

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 15:37
:D Oh dear :D

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 15:37
[QUOTE=debs26]
Well i for one would have turned against you, and the fact that she was your friend was a cruel thing for you to do, i think people that do squeal up people for things like this are just nosey curtain pullers!!!!! :thumbsdow

How can you say that? Surely you can see that benefit fraud, no matter who is doing it, is wrong?.. If everyone only claimed for what they actually needed, taxes would be lower, rent would be lower and the government would have more money to put into hospitals, adaquate childcare etc

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 15:40
[QUOTE=debs26]rubbish gangsta

I don't mean to sound rude but do you actually work? If you did I'm sure you would feel differently.

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:42
Well i dont know about your government or your Social Welfare payments but i am from Ireland and i know for a fact that if someone gets a chance to fleece the system they are on to it sharpish, i certainaily wouldnt go around squealing on people - like i mean if you were doing it and someone reported you how would you feel, would you be able to pay it back? and also the government rip us off at every chance available as well

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:43
[QUOTE=phils little sister]

I don't mean to sound rude but do you actually work? If you did I'm sure you would feel differently.
yes chicken i do work and i pay my taxes

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:44
[

so you would stand back and let someone cheat the benefit system! She didnt care about what she was doing and i didnt agree with it. as i said she not a friend anymore!!

i am not a nosey curtain puller i just dont like dishonest people. if you ahd been in my situation you would probably have doenthe same unless of course you are a benefit cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr_Cellophane
31-03-2005, 15:45
As for Sonia and Martin... totally not true to life... this is twice she has made attempts under false pretenses to contact her adopted daughter who she gave up her right too

Also the first time any one has bought, let alone read a paper in Albert Square, Sonia discovers that her daughters adoptive parents have been killed.
Talk about coincidence. :hmm:

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:46
well all i can say is i am glad you are not my friend, and no i wouldnt have reported her, and no i am not a cheat far from it my love

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:47
Well i dont know about your government or your Social Welfare payments but i am from Ireland and i know for a fact that if someone gets a chance to fleece the system they are on to it sharpish, i certainaily wouldnt go around squealing on people - like i mean if you were doing it and someone reported you how would you feel, would you be able to pay it back? and also the government rip us off at every chance available as well

i wouldnt fleece the system i am too honest for that!!! so it dosent matter how i would feel!!!

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:48
i wouldnt fleece the system i am too honest for that!!! so it dosent matter how i would feel!!!
you dont work yourself do you

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 15:50
[QUOTE=RIP_Rubbish_Gangster]
yes chicken i do work and i pay my taxes

Well you obviously like being mugged off by these cheats. I don't and it seems other people on here don't.

Did you not see, benefit fraud basically robs every family in Britain of £80.

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:51
well all i can say is i am glad you are not my friend, and no i wouldnt have reported her, and no i am not a cheat far from it my love

she werent a good friend anyway so no loss!!!

if you knew everything about her you would have done the same!

glad you not a cheat! just though i had better check!:) :)

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:52

Well you obviously like being mugged off by these cheats. I don't and it seems other people on here don't.

Did you not see, benefit fraud basically robs every family in Britain of £80.
i am from ireland :wall:

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:53
you dont work yourself do you

i am a full time mum!!

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 15:53

OK, sorry but it still goes on there and impacts on families in your community. You're not immune!

Debs
31-03-2005, 15:54

do they let you get away with things like that in ireland then????:hmm:

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:56
i didnt say i was im just saying i wouldnt report someone for doing it myself im just not like that

dddMac1
31-03-2005, 15:56
i hate it when people Cheat the Benifits System but my mum is on Benifits herself and it is for a Genuine reason she can't work cause she has really bad Arthritis and Unable to work and Amongst other things so she aint cheating the system

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 15:58

I should hope not.. I live in Ireland too... I work, am a single mum and because of that I am not entitled to anything like affordable rent, cheaper childcare and yet I know many many people who work, get benefit and seem to have more than me.. Maybe it is a case of sour grapes but I know if I even tried I would get caught...

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 15:58
i am a full time mum!!
well then why should you care its not like you are out working paying for it and before you say your husband works i know i seen your earlier post

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 15:59
i didnt say i was im just saying i wouldnt report someone for doing it myself im just not like that

I am and I would! I'm proud to be an honest person. I live in real life London, where things like this are unacceptable. Guess what aswell, there's no Johnny Allen, Andy Hunter, Phil Mitchell or any other Gangsters running the show and no one uses the word 'grass'.

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:00

:rotfl: no

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:02
I am and I would! I'm proud to be an honest person. I live in real life London, where things like this are unacceptable. Guess what aswell, there's no Johnny Allen, Andy Hunter, Phil Mitchell or any other Gangsters running the show and no one uses the word 'grass'.
are you sure because you seem to have to keep reminding yourself that you are living in the real world

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:02
i hate it when people Cheat the Benifits System but my mum is on Benifits herself and it is for a Genuine reason she can't work cause she has really bad Arthritis and Unable to work and Amongst other things so she aint cheating the system

benefits are there for people who have genuine reasons to need it!! me and my partner were on the dole for a year and a half when my son was born because he lost his job through no fault of his own. it was our only option at the time. things were tough and now 2 years later we are still paying off debts that accrued whilst we were on benefit. never once did i think that i would do some work without declaring i am just too honest. thing is people do the work and do not declare it but eventually get found out and have to pay it all back!!!so what is the point in the first place.:hmm:

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:05
benefits are there for people who have genuine reasons to need it!! me and my partner were on the dole for a year and a half when my son was born because he lost his job through no fault of his own. it was our only option at the time. things were tough and now 2 years later we are still paying off debts that accrued whilst we were on benefit. never once did i think that i would do some work without declaring i am just too honest. thing is people do the work and do not declare it but eventually get found out and have to pay it all back!!!so what is the point in the first place.:hmm:
a year and a half :confused: was there no jobs available for you for a whole year and a half

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 16:05

Well said.. I was unemployed for a while too but I never cheated the system.. I delared everything I did

When people are found out they moan and cry over paying the money back.. it was not theirs so it is only fair.. get a job and pay the money back in instalment.. Social welfare do work out a system for doing that.. there is work out there if you want it

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:07
well then why should you care its not like you are out working paying for it and before you say your husband works i know i seen your earlier post

actually i worked for 10 years paying taxes before my son was born. i work bloody hard now even if that dosent seem important to you!! i would love to be able to work i love the job i used to do but i couldnt afford the childcare charges! unless of course i split with my husband, claimed benefit and then cheated the system!!

my husband pays his taxes and so i do care!!

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 16:10
are you sure because you seem to have to keep reminding yourself that you are living in the real world

Well you are the one that seems to think you're Sam Mitchell.

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 16:10
actually i worked for 10 years paying taxes before my son was born. i work bloody hard now even if that dosent seem important to you!! i would love to be able to work i love the job i used to do but i couldnt afford the childcare charges! unless of course i split with my husband, claimed benefit and then cheated the system!!

my husband pays his taxes and so i do care!!

Again I am with Debs on this.. Childcare is very expensive if you are not on a social welfare payment.. sometimes it is expensive as a second mortgage and that is the reason so many mother and fathers opt to staying at home.. I am lucky that my allomony pays my childcare so I can work to pay my rent and fed/cloth my daughter...

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:11
a year and a half :confused: was there no jobs available for you for a whole year and a half

actually for a year of that my husband was on atraining course through new deal so he couldnt find another job and for the firsat half i was on my maternity leave. does that answer you question. didnt think you were a nosey person!!!!

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:11
so when your husband didnt work for 1 and a half years and stayed at home with you and the baby and the 2 of you were on the dole, was that ok because you payed stamps for 10 years - what was there no jobs available for that lenght of time or was he just a lazy layabout like keith miller :searchme:

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:12
Well you are the one that seems to think you're Sam Mitchell.
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: its the class clown

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 16:20
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: its the class clown

:clap: That's fine. I get what you are. You may not be a 'curtain twitcher' as you put it. But you are many other things....

You are entitled to your opinions but maybe when you grow up and get a bit of life experience instead of thinking everything is about faaamily and the lambeth walk, you might see things a bit differently.

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:22
so when your husband didnt work for 1 and a half years and stayed at home with you and the baby and the 2 of you were on the dole, was that ok because you payed stamps for 10 years - what was there no jobs available for that lenght of time or was he just a lazy layabout like keith miller :searchme:

did you not read what i last wrote??? he wasnt at home with me he was at college!! try reading things love!! there were no jobs that he could do which is why he went to college. he was not a lazy layabout like kieth no!! he went to college and now is doing a job that he loves and enjoys! dont see why i should have to explain everything to you!

dddMac1
31-03-2005, 16:24
i know this lady who is to lazy to work she has conned the benifits Agency out of thousands of pounds and living a life of Luxury and her mother does not want anything to do with her

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 16:24
Little Phil or whatever you are, I've read back and it seems you've managed to insult just about everyone on this thread. Well done, a class act!

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:27
Little Phil or whatever you are, I've read back and it seems you've managed to insult just about everyone on this thread. Well done, a class act!
well if i have insulted anybody i am very sorry it is not intentional i speak my mind and if people dont like that then what can you do?

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:27
Again I am with Debs on this.. Childcare is very expensive if you are not on a social welfare payment.. sometimes it is expensive as a second mortgage and that is the reason so many mother and fathers opt to staying at home.. I am lucky that my allomony pays my childcare so I can work to pay my rent and fed/cloth my daughter...

thankyou siobhan. i had ajob that i really enjoyed when i fell pregant. it was a very hard decision to give that all up. i worked bloody hard to get where i was.
i worked out that we would get no help with our childcare and after working and paying the nursery i would have got £15 pounds to myself. i didnt see the point. my other half works. we dont have everything that we want we rent a little flat and everything that he brings in goes on bills and food clothes etc but we are happy with that. i cant wait till my son is 5 and i can get back to work and adult company!!!

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 16:30
well if i have insulted anybody i am very sorry it is not intentional i speak my mind and if people dont like that then what can you do?

Very little thankfully. I have just found your manner quite intrusive for someone who doesn't like to curtain twitch.

Debs
31-03-2005, 16:31

i was just about to say that actually. i have been on this forum for a while and i can honestly say that i hadnt come acroos anyone i was starting to dislike until today.

thanks for starting this thread RIP_Rubbish_gangster. i have enjoyed the discussion. in fact i wa so engrossed that i have forgotten to go and put my chicken in the oven!!!! dont want to leave this but i will have to check back later!!

Siobhan
31-03-2005, 16:34
Yes well done on this one.. I have enjoyed it too and at the end of the day, lets hope someone from EE reads this and realised that Stacey should not have been shunned by the community. There is a lot of people who agree with what she did :cheer:

RIP_Rubbish_Gangster
31-03-2005, 16:39
I am off now too. Been nice talking to some of you.

Exx

phils little sister
31-03-2005, 16:43
Very little thankfully. I have just found your manner quite intrusive for someone who doesn't like to curtain twitch.
Curtain puller my dear friend, and on another note, i found your manner quite rude myself if you read back over you threw in a few comments to me that were intrusive aswell, so come again

Meh
31-03-2005, 17:10
This thread is about Stacey reporting Keith and not insulting other members on the board. Please keep it on track.

Rach33
31-03-2005, 17:18
Go away for five minutes and world war three breaks out just caught up brill thread RIP_Rubbish_Gangster

Joanne
31-03-2005, 18:34
Has anyone ever reported anyone for benefit fraud and something has actually been done about it? I've reported someone who is committing 3 types of benefit fraud and nothing has been done. In Eastenders Laura and Keith both were paid a visit within a day or two of being reported.

My opinion is that the Millers were happy enough to commit the offence and now that they've been found out should just accept it and not expect - or receive any sympathy.

SoapWatcher
31-03-2005, 18:50
Ive not, id have absolutely no clue if anyone was commiting any sort of fraud, unless i knew they were on benefits and working, or said they were very ill but managed to jump out of bed in the morning and went out dancing down the street...

Debs
31-03-2005, 19:34
yeah i have but not sure how it went. thinkn they visited her. not sure of outcome. i totally agree with you joanne. if somone commits the offence and is found out then tough it is the chance they took!

Jade
31-03-2005, 19:56
The benift system was set up originally as a temporary measure to help soilders adjust to civillian life after war and for thoes people who were too badley injured to return to work. It was not supposed to be a permenant solution.

The reason people were getting at Stacy was becasue she reported them for the wrong reasons, ie to get revenge. She is also breaking the law by not being in full time education. Should someone report the Slaters?

If Keith was not so pig headed he would have gone and got help by now (there are free adult litercy classes available) rather than watch his family struggle like that. I mean stealing baby food is very desperate.

SoapWatcher
31-03-2005, 20:01
Hed probably do well in literacy classes, hes not exactly stupid, i think hes just too scared to admit to everyone that he can't read.

Jade
31-03-2005, 20:05
Yea, but he doesnt have too, all the people in thoses classes are in the same boat and Rosie already knows he just needs to take the next step

.:Kitz:.
31-03-2005, 20:40
If he could be bothered to make the effort........

Rach33
31-03-2005, 23:20
If he thought about what it was doing to his kids grand daughter and rosie then maybe he wud have done something about it years ago but he obviously hasn't

Siobhan
01-04-2005, 09:32
The reason people were getting at Stacy was becasue she reported them for the wrong reasons, ie to get revenge. She is also breaking the law by not being in full time education. Should someone report the Slaters?

Charlie didn't know he was doing wrong.. he assumed you could leave school at 16.. you heard him on the phone, not even known it was wrong for Stacey to work in the shop... The millers knew what they were doing..

Jade
01-04-2005, 10:12
Yea I realise that, I wonder if we will see Stacy at school in the near future though? Also as a responsible guardian for a young ish girl should they have not found out?

I do think Stacy did the right thing in shopping the Millars regardless of reasons.

Joanne
01-04-2005, 16:51
Surely the school would have been in touch with Stacey's mother by now regarding her non attendance, or the Slaters if she is officially known as living with them. You can't just have months off school and not hear anything - nowadays you hear of parents going to prison if their children don't attend school.