PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reading any good books at the mo?

Jade
27-03-2005, 16:35
I'm reading Sky Burial by Xinran who wrote the Good Women of China its really sad:mad:

Ella.
27-03-2005, 17:26
Ive just finished reading a book called 'Lucky' by Alice Sebold who also wrote 'The Lovely Bones'.

Jade
27-03-2005, 17:28
I've read both of thoes she's a great writer "Lucky" was a true story about what happend to her. I cant wait to see what she comes up with next

Luna
07-04-2005, 19:35
I loved Lovely Bones finished it a couple of weeks ago wasn't so sure about reading lucky because it was something that happened to her

Roslyn
07-04-2005, 19:37
i read the stolen dont know who it was by though it is so good a bit complicated though lol

Jade
07-04-2005, 19:37
I found Lovely Bones more upsetting than Lucky

Luna
07-04-2005, 19:39
really?? wouldn't have expected that.....has anyone read any books by Tess Gerritsen??

Jade
07-04-2005, 19:48
I think Lovely Bones was more graphic.

chance
07-04-2005, 22:06
ive just finished a brilliant book by valerie wood called the hungrey tide,anyone read it?

Sherbs
07-04-2005, 22:11
I am busy waiting for my sis in law to come on msn for a chat :(
Should read a book while i am waiting i guess.

chance
08-04-2005, 10:22
you can borrow mine if you like ? ;)

brenda1971
08-04-2005, 10:37
Hi I am reading a sophie kinsella book can you keep a secret.

Luna
08-04-2005, 14:37
That's a brilliant book have you read any of her shopaholic ones?

brenda1971
08-04-2005, 14:39
Yes I have read them all and they are very good.

.:Kitz:.
08-04-2005, 15:22
Those books rock! I really like the first one. It's my favourite! I really need to read the others though

Luna
08-04-2005, 16:16
The new one out Shopaholic and Sister is brilliant far better than the rest

Has anyone read P.S I love you or Where Rainbows End - I cried all the way through both of them

chance
08-04-2005, 18:32
yeah i ve read ps i love you,very good!

Lisa321
11-04-2005, 16:14
Yeah, I've read those too :-)
And another one of my faves in Ps: I love you.
By Celia Ahern
xXx

soap_gal_
11-04-2005, 16:29
Yes. I'm reading James Herriot's 'All Creatures Great and Small'.

Luna
14-04-2005, 12:24
Anyone into the Harry Potter books? I think they are brilliant and defiantly not just for Kids :bow:

di marco
14-04-2005, 22:00
Anyone into the Harry Potter books? I think they are brilliant and defiantly not just for Kids :bow:

yeh i like reading the harry potter books too, theyre great! i definitely prefer the books to the films. cant wait for the next one, think its out some time this summer? (the book im talking about)

Luna
15-04-2005, 08:41
Yeah the 16th July I think cant wait, i'll be first in the q at midnight :)

SoapRach
15-04-2005, 13:30
I've already got mine ordered - it'll arrive on my doorstep on July 16th! Yay! The Harry Potter books are very good. I also really enjoyed the Sophie Kinsella books - laughed my way through all of them - I'm a bit short of books at the moment though - trying to read Mrs Dalloway by Vaginia Woolf - it's quite good so far!

Jade
15-04-2005, 13:38
Yeah, I've read those too :-)
And another one of my faves in Ps: I love you.
By Celia Ahern
xXx

PS I Love you was ace, I cried nearly all the way through! (bit of a contradiction that) and read it in one sitting

Luna
15-04-2005, 14:04
I've already got mine ordered - it'll arrive on my doorstep on July 16th! Yay! The Harry Potter books are very good. I also really enjoyed the Sophie Kinsella books - laughed my way through all of them - I'm a bit short of books at the moment though - trying to read Mrs Dalloway by Vaginia Woolf - it's quite good so far!

I prefer to get mine at midnight so i can start it right away!! Tess Gerrison's books are also really good....as long as you dont have a weak stomach

debbi
21-04-2005, 15:31
PS I Love you was ace, I cried nearly all the way through! (bit of a contradiction that) and read it in one sitting

If you like that JudeJude try to read Postcards from Whitsend its on the same lines and a nice easy (albeit very sad) read for a Sunday afternoon !!xx
My favourite authors are Marian Keyes, Catherine Alliott and Martina Cole

Jade
21-04-2005, 15:33
I love Martina Cole she is deff one of my fav'es. Who is the book by that you mentioned above?

debbi
21-04-2005, 15:35
I have forgotten and I am at work so I will have a look when I get home and let you know - it wasnt an author I have heard of before but somebody recommended to me when (as you did) I said how much I enjoyed PS I love you xx

Jade
21-04-2005, 15:38
Thanks.

debbi
24-04-2005, 22:09
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you JudeJude my computer has been on the blink - anyway the author of Postcards from Wits End is Sarah Harvey - let me know what you think of it if you manage to read it x

natalia35
05-05-2005, 16:16
I love Tess Gerritsen books. Also Karin Slaughter I read her first book (blindsighted) and couldn't put it down. The other 3 have been just as good. The best thriller writer has to be Greoffey Dever

Jade
05-05-2005, 16:49
Sorry its taken so long to get back to you JudeJude my computer has been on the blink - anyway the author of Postcards from Wits End is Sarah Harvey - let me know what you think of it if you manage to read it x

No worries, will look out for it and let you know!

di marco
05-05-2005, 22:03
has anyone else read any books by phillip pullman? i think his books are great! :)

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 23:32
Harry Potter! You should all read Harry Potter, it is the ultimate set of books.

Jade
05-05-2005, 23:34
Harry Potter! You should all read Harry Potter, it is the ultimate set of books.

Osiris you need to read About a Boy!!! it's better than the film!!!

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 23:42
I will do! I've got the book somewhere and I love the film!

Jade
05-05-2005, 23:46
Let me know what you think, I really it really makes my blood boil when they turn classic books into films ie Lord of the Rings, Hitchikers Guide etc

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 23:50
About A Boy is an amazing film!

Jade
05-05-2005, 23:53
I must admit it is one of the only films that I've thought has done the book justice, but I always read the book before I see the film. I refuse to watch the Lord of the Rings films or any of the Stephen King books that have been turned into films (although I read the Stephen King books about 10 years ago)

Behemoth
05-05-2005, 23:58
I have heard lots of people say that the LOTR films don't live up to the books and I can tell you right now that the Harry Potter films are terrible compared to the books. They lack any of the depth that that books have.

Jade
06-05-2005, 00:03
I think its down to imagination like the Harry Potter books, your imagination goes wild, where as the films you get told what to think. Most of the characters in Harry Potter were totally different to what I thought they would be. And they also miss out parts that you think are singificant but maybe others dont

Behemoth
06-05-2005, 00:07
I agree Jude, lots of bit have to be cut for the films and it is always almost disappointinng to fans of the book.

willow
06-05-2005, 09:07
i love books on true life murderers. i have just bought 6 new ones and i am wading my way through them!! at the mo the one i am reading is 'a date with the hangman', they are really interesting!

Luna
06-05-2005, 09:45
Has anyone read any of John Edwards books?

I think they are brilliant but then again i believe in all that life after death stuff

phils little sister
06-05-2005, 10:38
Im reading a book at the moment its an Irish book called Lyn - it is a true story, its very good im near the end already - sometimes i'd love books to go on forever :cheer:

debbi
06-05-2005, 13:02
Let me know what you think, I really it really makes my blood boil when they turn classic books into films ie Lord of the Rings, Hitchikers Guide etc

I know this cant really be regarded as a 'classic' but I think the film version of Bridget Jones' Diary really did do the book justice xxx

Jade
06-05-2005, 22:46
Yea agree with that both the films were good. By "classic" I ment good not as in Charles Dickins!!! sorry bit confusing that!

Abi
06-05-2005, 23:07
I decided to read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy recently, but i've been finding it really hard to get into. I'm a few chapters in, but i'm not really enjoying it as such. I have a limited imagination so i guess that might be why

squillyfer
11-07-2005, 22:43
I just read a book called sisterland for the second time its really good

pinkles14
11-07-2005, 22:56
Has anyone read Remember Me by lesley Pearse..
Its really good

Abi
12-07-2005, 18:21
I read sisterland, i thought it was great

Have you read the shell house, squillifer?

Trinity
12-07-2005, 18:25
has anyone else read any books by phillip pullman? i think his books are great! :)

His Dark Materials - fantastic books. The thinking man's HP!

I love HP, but this is on another level- and it is supposed to be a kids book!

Bad Wolf
12-07-2005, 18:26
4 days to go!!!!

Abi
12-07-2005, 18:27
I like the Harry Potter books, but i'm not exactly desperate for it to come out!!!

Trinity
12-07-2005, 18:38
I have it ordered through amazon, I hope that it gets here before I go on holiday!

Treacle
12-07-2005, 18:47
His Dark Materials - fantastic books. The thinking man's HP!

I love HP, but this is on another level- and it is supposed to be a kids book!
I love Harry Potter! :) Can't wait for the next book.

I wouldn't say it is a kids book but that's who it's generally aimed at. It's quite a good read and has the power to stimulate adult minds.

Trinity
12-07-2005, 18:50
I love Harry Potter! :) Can't wait for the next book.

I wouldn't say it is a kids book but that's who it's generally aimed at. It's quite a good read and has the power to stimulate adult minds.

Like the 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime', a kids book that offers something to all ages

Bad Wolf
12-07-2005, 18:51
i've read that- i thought it was brilliant, not really a kids book tho- just from a childs perspective??

Luna
12-07-2005, 18:52
Like the 'Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime', a kids book that offers something to all ages

I've heard that's really god what's it about?

Treacle
12-07-2005, 18:53
I've not read that one because I'm not the biggest fan of books. I only got hooked on HP after hearing it was meant to be good.

Bad Wolf
12-07-2005, 18:54
its about a child with learning difficulties, who sees his neighbours dog get murdered in the night and decides to solve it, but family secrets are revealed. its done totally from his perspective

Trinity
12-07-2005, 18:55
It is about a boy with Asbergers syndrome. He is a wiz at maths, lives with his dad as his mum and dad have split up and discovers a neighbour's dog dead in the garden. he decides to investigate.

Treacle
12-07-2005, 18:55
Will my local library have it? Is it a common book?

angelblue
12-07-2005, 18:56
Has anyone read divinci code can someone tell if it is good :thumbsup:

Bad Wolf
12-07-2005, 18:57
Its briliant, as is angels and demons (the first, set before da vinci) read them both!!

Trinity

Fantastic, but Angels & Demons is even better!
Love Dan Brown!

Luna

I've heard mix reviews on friends said they couldn't put it down and just had to read it in one go and another said they couldn't get into it

Trinity
12-07-2005, 18:58
Will my local library have it? Is it a common book?

If they don't have it they should be able to order it for you.

Treacle
12-07-2005, 19:03
I've read nearly all the Catherine Cookson's LOL :) And I was hooked on them Mills & Boon because they just give so much detail. Sorry now I am showing my age. I bet there's nobody else who enjoys reading those or who has even read them.

Trinity
12-07-2005, 19:21
We have had the conversation re. age before - and I think i win by ..10 years was it?

I was a total book worm when I was a kid and I read all my gran's books, lol. She used to get the M&B DELIVERED monthly! I guess she was too embarassed to buy them in the shops!

I think they are great, they only take an hour to read and give you a good greet at the end. An excellant way to spend an evening when you husband is abroad, just add a bottle of wine and some chocolate!

I have even written one, but they haven't published it, they asked for the first three chapters because they liked the synopsis but I haven't heard about the final book, yet.

BW, did you see the Romantic Novellists last night on Uni Challenge? They were superb!

horseygal90
12-07-2005, 19:23
I'm into crime thriller books... P.D James and all that sort of stuff. At the minute I'm reading 1984 - I'm half way through, it's excellent!

The Curious Incident is a good book... Took me a while to get my head round it! I didn't actually realise the boy had a disability... Me being thick.

angelblue
12-07-2005, 19:25
Thanxs i am going to try and read it :)

horseygal90
12-07-2005, 19:27
I'm thinking (when I finish 1984 and Jane Eyre *snore*) that I may get the Dan Brown books out of the library.

Has anyone read Jane Eyre? Is it as boring as I think it'll be? (I have to read it - GCSE's)

Bad Wolf
12-07-2005, 19:28
i thought so....

Treacle
12-07-2005, 19:36
We have had the conversation re. age before - and I think i win by ..10 years was it?

I was a total book worm when I was a kid and I read all my gran's books, lol. She used to get the M&B DELIVERED monthly! I guess she was too embarassed to buy them in the shops!

I think they are great, they only take an hour to read and give you a good greet at the end. An excellant way to spend an evening when you husband is abroad, just add a bottle of wine and some chocolate!

I have even written one, but they haven't published it, they asked for the first three chapters because they liked the synopsis but I haven't heard about the final book, yet.

BW, did you see the Romantic Novellists last night on Uni Challenge? They were superb!
I have a big bag full of M&B.

I would love to read your book if it gets published.

I didn't see the programme you're on about though :) It was too hot last night to watch TV properly except for EastEnders which is an essentiality.

di marco
12-07-2005, 22:01
Has anyone read Jane Eyre? Is it as boring as I think it'll be? (I have to read it - GCSE's)

we had to read part of jane eyre when i was in yr6 (i think i was way too young to read it then lol!) and it was incredibly boring, though one of my friends really likes it. we had to read pride and prejudice for gcse, that was boring too, ended up watching the video instead of reading the whole book! but the same friend who liked jane eyre says her fave book is pride and prejudice

di marco
12-07-2005, 22:02
His Dark Materials - fantastic books.

yeh i really loved reading them. my dads just finished reading them and he enjoyed them too. have you read any of his other books?

horseygal90
13-07-2005, 11:16
we had to read part of jane eyre when i was in yr6 (i think i was way too young to read it then lol!) and it was incredibly boring, though one of my friends really likes it. we had to read pride and prejudice for gcse, that was boring too, ended up watching the video instead of reading the whole book! but the same friend who liked jane eyre says her fave book is pride and prejudice

My fave book in that context is Wuthering Hieghts - Not too much slush, lots of revenge!

I hate Jane Eyre - My sister loves it, and she's into the romancey slush and what not that I really hate. :rolleyes:

alan45
13-07-2005, 11:21
I have heard lots of people say that the LOTR films don't live up to the books and I can tell you right now that the Harry Potter films are terrible compared to the books. They lack any of the depth that that books have.

I think its true of all films - They are never nearly as good as the books.All of the films made of John Grishams novels have been poor imitations of his excellent books

Luna
13-07-2005, 11:23
I think its true of all films - They are never nearly as good as the books.All of the films made of John Grishams novels have been poor imitations of his excellent books

I agree the only film i have actually liked was the client

Abi
13-07-2005, 15:24
they dont send out the same emotions as in the books, which makes them seem worse

di marco
13-07-2005, 20:43
i think its cos with books you have your whole imagination to picture whats its like and you make up your own image of it in your head. then when you see the film, that image is taken away and replaced with something that doesnt seem right to you

di marco
13-07-2005, 20:44
My fave book in that context is Wuthering Hieghts - Not too much slush, lots of revenge!

I hate Jane Eyre - My sister loves it, and she's into the romancey slush and what not that I really hate. :rolleyes:

i havent read wuthering heights, one of the other classes did for gcse though. most of the books we read at school are rubbish, we also read "of mice and men" for gcse, that was quite good

Trinity
13-07-2005, 23:33
When you read a book it is much easier to empathise with the characters, you see them in your mind and can hear them almost. Then some film maker comes along and tries to sell you his version - this is fine when you haven't read the book but when you have you are sitting there thinking she doesn't look like Hermione and he doesn't sound like Harry. It can spoil both the film and future books for you.

The BEST EVER film adaptation is Pride & Predudice BBC series. I saw this recently on DVD and it was WONDERFUL. It made me go right out and re read the book, Colin Firth IS Mr Darcy, *drool*

The guy who plays Snape in the HP movies is EXACTLY as i imagined the character, and so is Prof McGonnigle ( please excuse the spelling). Casting is so important.