PDA

View Full Version : The Office..Early Hit in America

Soaps King
26-03-2005, 12:32
The premiere episode of the American version of The Office was seen by more than 11 million viewers on Thursday night.

According to early figures, an average of 11.3 million viewers in the key 18-49 demographic tuned in for the episode, which was shown on NBC at 9.30pm.

Overall, it ranked as the third most-watched show on US TV for the night, behind only FOX's American Idol (20.2m in the demo) and NBC's ER (15m in the demo).

It also managed to top the numbers for Friends spinoff Joey, which averaged 8.9 million viewers in the demographic at the earlier time of 8pm.

The Office now moves to its regular slot this Tuesday.

Meh
26-03-2005, 14:13
Will it be good as the original though?

Don't forget the new scripts will be towards a completely different audience with a different actor. Most shows that are copied rarely make it.

*JSW*
26-03-2005, 14:19
Well the critics didn't take to it at all. Mabye it will be a breakl through hit but i'm unsure. People here have said its awful but of course its for a different audience with different 'television standards and ideals' Thats why we don't see the same things funny all the time that Americans do.

Jade
26-03-2005, 14:32
Irony is normally lost on Americans (sorry dont mean to sterotype) but when I was over there in Jan that certinally was the case!!

No offence intended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh
26-03-2005, 15:03
They have a different sense of humour. I've never seen what the big thing about Friends or Frasier was. Cheers was funny, but the only one I've really liked is Married With Children. Al Bundy - what a character. :lol:

Jade
26-03-2005, 15:05
Will and Grace is great too:cheer:

Meh
26-03-2005, 15:07
And anyone care to explain what the big thing was about Sex in the City and Ally McBeal? :hmm:

*JSW*
26-03-2005, 15:13
And anyone care to explain what the big thing was about Sex in the City and Ally McBeal? :hmm:
I don't remember what I liked about them now looking back... But I really got into both. They're just addictive programmes! Ally McBeal was just plain weird. I watched an episode the other night and she was just getting freaked out all the time and thats all she ever seems to do- get freaked out and halucinate! :rotfl:

And JJ, Will & Grace is fantastic, I love it too! :o

Jade
26-03-2005, 15:17
Ally McBeal - no

Sex in the city is brill - pure girly indulgance. Admittly they are four exagerated personalities but every one cane identify a part of themselves with one of the girls

Its also part fantsy ie glam life in New York is a far cry from what most of us will end up doing

Meh
26-03-2005, 15:26
Ally McBeal - no

Sex in the city is brill - pure girly indulgance. Admittly they are four exagerated personalities but every one cane identify a part of themselves with one of the girls

Its also part fantsy ie glam life in New York is a far cry from what most of us will end up doing

I've been to NY. Unfortunatly the autocensor will filter out what I really think!

Jade
26-03-2005, 15:27
I havent but my Boyf is going on Wed.

Meh
26-03-2005, 15:31
Just realised this thread is in the wrong forum so moving ...

Meh
26-03-2005, 15:32
I havent but my Boyf is going on Wed.

Manhatten is pretty cool. One of my friends lives in NY and he loves it whereas I think its pants.

Now Chicago - thats my kind of city.

Jade
26-03-2005, 15:33
New Orleans is my type of place, I want to go back!!!

*JSW*
26-03-2005, 15:45
I'm of to the States in the Summer and am really looking forward to it! I had some weird experiences with some strange Americans last time I went that I really don't want to repeat....

But its a lovely country and am very exited about going back!