PDA

View Full Version : Corrie episode length

harissa
15-07-2005, 10:35
Has anybody else noticed what a rip-off Coronation Street is as far as epidode length is concerned, in comparison with say, Eastenders? Episodes often start at 7:35 instead of 7:30, the commercial break, which usually lasts five to ten minutes, can come as soon as 7:40 and the (supposedly) half-hour episode usually finishes at 7:55.

That makes, to my reckoning, about 15 minutes' worth of action. Eastenders, on the other hand, usually lasts the full hgalf-hour. What do you think?

Abi
15-07-2005, 10:47
I guess so, but there are more episodes a week. Corrie's on 5 times a week compared to 4 times a week by Eastenders

alan45
15-07-2005, 11:04
Has anybody else noticed what a rip-off Coronation Street is as far as epidode length is concerned, in comparison with say, Eastenders? Episodes often start at 7:35 instead of 7:30, the commercial break, which usually lasts five to ten minutes, can come as soon as 7:40 and the (supposedly) half-hour episode usually finishes at 7:55.

That makes, to my reckoning, about 15 minutes' worth of action. Eastenders, on the other hand, usually lasts the full hgalf-hour. What do you think?

The ad break is usually 3 1/2 munutes. I have never known a 10 minute ad break

Chris_2k11
15-07-2005, 12:07
Yeah 10 minutes does sound a bit over the top lol, id say 5 minutes, at the most! :)

Treacle
15-07-2005, 12:12
The ad break is usually 3 1/2 munutes. I have never known a 10 minute ad break
It depends really. It has got longer. Who wants to see adverts for washing machines in the middle of a soap anyways?

Treacle
15-07-2005, 12:12
When you have an episode on your computer you will see that it's normally 22 minutes long.

Abi
15-07-2005, 14:10
If you work it out then EE only show for 10 minutes longer a week; because;

Coronation street- 22mins an epi x 5 episodes a week= 110 mins a week

Eastenders- 30 mins an epi x 4 episodes a week= 120 minutes a week.

Treacle
15-07-2005, 14:20
If you work it out then EE only show for 10 minutes longer a week; because;

Coronation street- 22mins an epi x 5 episodes a week= 110 mins a week

Eastenders- 30 mins an epi x 4 episodes a week= 120 minutes a week.
Yes but EastEnders can create the build-up to drama so much better without the intrusive advert break. Worth paying for and that's why it ruled the industry for 17 years and will continue to do so again. Corrie WAS on an high around about the time of Richard Hillman and even Mad Maya even though that had so many more plotholes but now it's just a joke and should be treated as such:lol:
I mean 22 minutes, come on? No wonder it's so slapdash lately.

Abi
15-07-2005, 15:26
I get what you mean, but having an advert break is just something they do. If you take it that it isn't as good as Eastenders because of that then your saying that BBC is altogether a better channel, without even considering the programmes and there relevance to moden day life.

Not all soap can be brill at all times. Coronation street will have its up's and downs just as much as Easteders will, just at different times. I dont think that we should nesseserily say that one of hte soaps is rubbish just because its not at its peak. This is because they can't always be at heir peak

I hope you get what i mean

xx

Treacle
15-07-2005, 15:29
ITV is a poor channel full stop and it's only consistency seems to lie with it's soaps hence their disgraceful over exposure.

"The Bill" is another example of consistency in an otherwise dodgy ITV1 weekly schedule. 3 programmes and the odd decent drama will NOT be enough to keep it floating forever.

If Corrie only have 22 minutes to fill, that's no reason to just have slapdash scenes or comedy storylines.

Abi
15-07-2005, 17:36
I take it that you don't like the comedy aspects then?

Treacle
15-07-2005, 18:47
Corrie CAN do comedy in a subtle way, characters like Blanche are just gold when she gets her good one-liners but it's the recent slapdash panto comedy storylines that I am sick of.

Treacle
15-07-2005, 19:49
Tonight's didn't start until 19:32pm and the advert break has just lasted for 4 minutes.

alan45
15-07-2005, 19:53
Corrie MAY have a few crap panto like storylines on the go at the minute but there are big stories running in the background and the will become good and major come the end of the summer when all the viewers return after the summer lull. EE too are saving their good stories until after the summer when audiences traditionally fall away

Treacle
15-07-2005, 20:50
EastEnders have lots of good things coming up in the Summer.
Corrie has had panto plots for most of 2005. I honestly feel they need to go back to real characters and subtle comedy. This new regime just isn't working. This is NOT a comedy sitcom this is a SOAP.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:03
I get what you mean, they have had a lot of dumb comedy stuff this year, but i prefer that to constant sadness. If they toned it down a bit then it would be a lot better

xx

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:36
They need real comedy. Little subtle touches.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:40
I've always found Audrey quite funny

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:42
She can be humouress sometimes. Blanche is head of the pack, sometimes though you can see the script is so deliberate, stereotyped and forced with her but when she seems to deliver one of her amazing classic one-liners naturally she's a legend.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:44
The one liners are brill, especially to Dedrie or Ken

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:45
The boxing storyline etc is not a patch on Blanche when she delivers.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:48
Nah, that sort of stuff is rubbish but they have to do something to break up the sombre storylines untill the next one.

It does make it seem a bit desperate though

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:50
They've never had deliberate panto plots like that before.
They KNEW that they were delivering humour well and the audiences loved it so they go and spoil it by failing to work hard to keep up their ususal humour instead they draft in a load of storylines like this that will hopefully keep us going for a while and stop the scriptwriters over exercising themselves.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:51
but blanche is still funny so they cant be doing everything wrong

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:53
Blance works and she doesn't, it all depends on the script.
When she delivers naturally she cracks me up but when it sounds so forced it's so bad.
Her one-liners always have a habit of being quick quips but sometimes in a deliberate attempted force at giving her comedy she can say something a bit longer and it's absolutely rubbish!

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:58
I guess so, but generally speaking she is still a great charcter. They have begun to take her a little bit away from the comedy thing with this whole hip operation thing. I reckon that this is well deserved,

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:59
I don't think she can do much outside of the comedy box to be honest with you but she is fine given the right things to say.

Abi
16-07-2005, 10:01
This whole boxing thing is just really stupid. They are giving hte soap a really bad perseption to people that haven't watched it. Corrie can do much better than that, so hopefully after the sumer they will prove that

Treacle
16-07-2005, 10:04
Yes like I said it's not like I'm asking for anything like the excellent standards of EastEnders when that was no.1. I'm just asking them to go back to how it was.
Tony Wood has a lot to answer for, grrrr! I think him and Daran Little are Louise Berridge and Mal Young in disguise!