PDA

View Full Version : Mike Baldwin

Soaps King
26-03-2005, 11:21
Coronation Street's Mike Baldwin will be struck down by Alzheimer's disease in a new storyline, according to The Mirror today.

Mike will begin to show signs of forgetfulness in the summer, which gradually get worse.

The soap's scriptwriters have been consulting Shakespeare's King Lear, and hope that the storyline will mirror the classic play. Lear is forced to divide his kingdom between his three daughters when he suffers from madness, while Mike's sons, ex-partners and nephews will battle to take over Underworld.

An insider told the newspaper, "It will be some of the greatest television Coronation Street has ever produced, I can promise you that. An awful lot of work is going into these scripts.

"Alzheimer's affects a lot of people, but equally it affects their families very hard. It is very distressing for everyone involved and we had to think about that when we were first formulating the idea."

The source added, "Nobody set out to make a copy of Lear, or thinking they would rewrite the great Bard. It sort of dawned on everybody the story we were telling and it seemed to make sense to take elements of the play and turn it into a modern story."

Johnny Briggs, who plays Baldwin, has been with the soap for nearly 30 years.

Katy
26-03-2005, 11:36
This should be good as Alzheimer's is an issue that is not usually tackled so it would be interesting for it to take place.

soapaddict
26-03-2005, 11:39
That sounds like a great storyline for corrie and of course mike baldwin.

Soaps King
26-03-2005, 12:30
Cornet and Soapaddict i could'nt agree more!
Ths should be interesting to watch

mw0390
26-03-2005, 12:32
does this mean mike is leaving the street?

Jade
26-03-2005, 22:36
Soaps King - This is a spoiler - please post in correct forum.

Moving

Thanks

SoapWatcher
26-03-2005, 22:44
Sorry about the repeat post before, I think i need to clean my glasses.

Jade
26-03-2005, 22:48
Sorry about the repeat post before, I think i need to clean my glasses.

Dont worry its not your fault it was originally posted in the wrong forum anyway. I'm being a bit slow on the uptake today

mw0390
27-03-2005, 12:36
I think the the actor who plays Mike will play this role extremley well

Jade
27-03-2005, 13:50
I think the the actor who plays Mike will play this role extremley well

I second that. It will be an intresting storyline

RealityGap
28-03-2005, 11:55
I think this is going to be a great story line too, and will give Jonny Briggs a real chance to shine - looking forwards to it

Katy
28-03-2005, 12:28
It should be really interesting to see how the issues tackled. I 've always liked Mike as a character.

chamone256
28-03-2005, 15:00
wheres Penny. I haven't seen her for ages. I heard she was leaving so maybe she leaves because she can't cope with Mike's Alzheimers. :hmm:

dddMac1
28-03-2005, 15:04
sounds good it be interesting to see how they do it plus it will make people more aware of the Condition

The Bear
29-03-2005, 12:21
While I agree that this is a good story line, I just hope that it has been research correctly and not rushed as Alzheimer's disease effects so many for so long. While some storylines are dragged out far too long, much to my (and I’m sure others) annoyance at times, I really hope that this one is and sensitively!

Trinity
29-03-2005, 12:28
Alzheimers is a dreadful, slowly degenerative disease. If this is done properly then it will be on our screens for years, or Mike will leave to go into a care home. Which ever way it happens it will be desperately sad, it will be interesting to see if there is anyone prepared to look after the old man...

Debs
30-03-2005, 14:53
my grandad has got alzeihmers. it is a horrible disese. he used to be so cheerful and would take us everywhere. he was always a man who you could have a joke with and was always good for a serious conversation. now he is old, frail and constantly confused. he has no idea who i am and i get sad when i visit him and see him like it. it is also a very strange illness. my gramps will forget what you said to him 2 seconds before but can recall things from his past perfectly. i hope corrie research this properly and show how upsetting and devstating it is to the people around the sufferer and also how horrible it is for the person themselves they get frustrated and angry and half the time they dont know why. Corrie always seem to handle storylines like this welll! cant think of any other soap that has done this illness!