PDA

View Full Version : Sins of the Father (EE, Jake centric)

BlackKat
25-03-2005, 21:36
First EE fic, and my first post here. :)

Anyway, like the title says this is Jake focused, although it does also focus on the other members of the Moon family, as well as the Allen family. Alison Moon is my character, although I did get the name for the wee BBC family tree thing. (Mainly because I couldn't think of a name myself, lol.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Blackkat13/fathercopy.gif
Sins of the Father

can't stop loving
can't stop what is on its way
and I see it coming
and it's on its way
Bells For Her – Tori Amos

Alison Moon is dog-tired. Slowly approaching Walford East Station, she already wants to get the first train back to the centre of London. Back to safety. She doesn’t know why she suddenly felt the need to take this journey. She doesn’t know what to do when she gets to Walford, when she finds her two sons.

She hasn’t seen them for five years; they haven’t shown any over-riding need to contact her. It’s only thanks to a chance encounter with another member of the family that she knows where they even are.

Glancing around the train, she casually drinks from a bottle labelled “Spring Water.” The liquid inside certainly isn’t water, spring or otherwise.

“The next station is Walford East. Please stand clear of the doors.”

Alison starts to gather her things up, slipping the bottle inside her handbag – the strap’s falling off, she’ll need another one soon – and rises slowly to her feet.

God, she’s so tired.

The bright sunlight doesn’t help her nerves. Jesus, it’s March, what the hell is it sunny for. She longs for rain, dark clouds, and a storm overhead. The weather has no business being cheerful. It gives her a headache, makes her long to turn back.

But she’s here now, and the square’s just ahead, and – it’s too late. She can’t turn back now.

Danny walks across the square towards her, oblivious. Alison’s breath catches, she trips slightly over the end of her skirt. He’ll see her in a minute, she thinks. Stands still and waits.

He stops and comes towards her, hesitantly. What kind of mother is she that her own son isn’t sure if he wants to see her?

“Mum? What are you doing here?”

She smiles brightly and fakes it. “I wanted to see you.” She moves closer to him, tightens her grip on her bags. “I heard that you and Jake were living here now, and I wanted to see how you were.”

No, she didn’t, she thinks. That’s not why she’s here.

She wants to go home. She wants to go home.

Danny wants to say his mother looks good, but she doesn’t. She looks thin, and worn out. Pale blond hair, and flimsy sandals. The strap is falling off her handbag, and she’s not drunk, he thinks, but she seems to shrink in the bright sunlight. She’s too small, and tired. She looks like she’s about to collapse.

What does she want? He shouldn’t think that, but he does.

He wants Jake here. He wants Jake to deal with this. But Jake’s always dealt with the various appearances of their father, is it fair to put this on him as well.

His mother looks around. “Where’s your brother?”

Danny nods towards the club, then pauses and nods towards the Vic. “Either in there, or in there.” He shrugs. “Depends what Johnny’s got him doing.”

“Johnny?”

“Johnny Allen. Owner of the club. Jake works there. Well, I do as well…sometimes. Depends what mood he’s in.” Danny stops. He’s babbling, he knows, but his mother has stopped listening.

Johnny Allen. Alison’s heart seems to stop, but not for long. She always knew, he was always in the background, lingering. And it would be just like him to…

It was inevitable, she thinks, and why else would she have come here but to get there first.

Rach33
25-03-2005, 21:40
Wow Fab A Roonie Post More Pleaseeeeeeee

Cherryz
26-03-2005, 01:29
OOHH MYY GOOOD!!! My brain is a going crazy! This is fabulous! didn't see that coming, brill stuff. need more!

Tamzi
26-03-2005, 09:46
That is really fab. You have got to post more soon.

BlackKat
28-03-2005, 22:15
Thanks guys. :D I'll try and get the next chapter up soon. :)

di marco
29-03-2005, 09:28
wow, that was great! :D hope theres more soon

phils little sister
29-03-2005, 09:30
Very Good! :cheer: :cheer:

*Roxy*
11-04-2005, 18:35
like it it's really good wow

Layne
11-04-2005, 19:32
This is Brill Stuff, i've been here ages and have/will never will able to write something like that!
Keep Going
Luv ya
Layne
x x x

BlackKat
11-04-2005, 19:45
Sorry the next part is taking a while. It's nearly done, just a few more scenes that I need to write for it. It should be up sometime this week. :D

I'm glad you like it. :) Love you all.

BlackKat
13-04-2005, 21:05

Well, content loves the silence
It thrives in the dark
With fine winding tendrils
That strangle the heart
They say that promises sweeten the blow
But I don't need them, no
I don't need them
My Skin - Natalie Merchant

Jake's really starting to hate his phone. He's hardly been in the Vic two minutes before it's lighting up with a message. Sighing, he sneaks a look at the screen, wondering if it's one of those messages he can just pretend he never got. Danny.

"Come home. Now. Please. Danny."

The please seems added on as an afterthought. He waits for a few seconds. Stares at it.

"Problem?"

He looks up at Chrissie. "What?"

"You're looking at that phone like it's going to explode. Pint? On the house."

Jake looks back down on the message. "Can I put a raincheck on that?"

She raises an eyebrow, somewhere between curious and amused. "Work?"

He shakes his head, starts to get up. "No, Danny.”

“Everything ok?”

Jake looks back up at her, smiles. “Yeah. I’m going to hold you to that pint though.”

"You better do." She smiles. "I might start to feel neglected if you don't."

Jake shakes his head, grins. "Would I let that happen?”

Alison knows she should go and see Johnny, but she doesn't move from the living room. She can't face him. Not like this. She knows what she looks like, how age has snuck up on her. And she still has that need to be wanted. Especially from him.

Danny looks at his phone against, antsy, nervous.

“Are you waiting for a call?” Alison asks.

“What? No…I was just…”

“Danny?!” Jake slams the front door behind him, shouts his brother’s name. Alison gets to her feet slowly, puts her cup down on the table.

Her eldest son comes into the room, looks at Danny and then sees her. She smiles, slightly. She doesn’t know what do to.

Jake hasn’t seen his mother in five years. He prefers it that way. Out of sight out of mind. It’s not that she’s a bad person. Certainly not as bad as his father.

It’s just a lot easier when she isn’t around.

“Hi Jake.” She smiles slightly, twists the ring on her finger around. Her voice is steady, careful, but it dips slightly. She’s been drinking. He knows. He spent the first sixteen years of his life learning her signs.

Jake nods at her. “Mum.” He keeps still, wills himself not to move forward in front of Danny. Wills himself not to get her out of the house.

He’s a grown man. They’re both grown men. Seeing their mother shouldn’t be like this. Shouldn’t be so nerve-racking.

She’s been here five minutes. And Jake’s already exhausted.

Billy knocks then comes through to the office. "Someone here to see you boss."

Johnny nods and motions Billy to show them in. Someone here about business he assumes. It's always business. He goes to sit behind his desk. His office becomes a stage.

She comes through, and he forgets his lines. No one sits to the right and prompts him. She's shaking slightly, he notices. He rises to his feet.

"Alison," he says and gestures for her to sit down. She shakes her head, doesn't move. So they wait, staring at each other. She's unreadable, and he knows his face is the same.

He hasn't counted on this - on her. She's a rogue element, a confounding variable. It was foolish of him - never leave anything to chance. He should have planned for this. Thinking on his feet isn't Johnny's preferred method; he'd rather have a plan. Everything accounted for, each different way a person could turn, personality, emotions. Everything down to the weather. He's slipped up on this one.

Think on your feet.

"Drink?" He offers, and she nods quickly. Too quickly, she stops herself, but she's already exposed one weakness. He smiles slightly, turns around to pour it.

"What brings you here?"

"I came to see Jake and Danny. I mean, I heard they were living here, so I thought I'd..." Alison pauses, looks around the office. Johnny keeps his back to her. "I don't know what I thought. I wanted to...And then I heard that Jake was working for you...that they're both working for you."

Johnny nods, turns around and hands her the drink. "I haven't told him."

She takes the glass, doesn't even try to bluff him. "Are you going to?"

"I was working up to it."

Alison sits down suddenly, as if she can hardly hold herself her. She grasps her glass firmly, takes a long drink. "Don't. Don't tell him."

He sits down opposite her, looks straight at her. "Why? Why shouldn't Jake know?"

Danny stands at the window. “Where do you reckon she’s gone?”

Jake stands up from the sofa. “She said she was going for a walk. Meaning she’ll roll in two in the morning.”

“Jake!”

“She’s been drinking.” He says it simply. Harshly. One sentence - designed to shut Danny up.

Danny pauses. “I didn’t notice.”

“You never did.”

"What do you want Johnny? I don't know what you want." She looks up at him, eyes large and pleading, and he's hit my memories.

Alison on his doorstep, a bag in her hand. She needs a place to stay. Denies Bobby hitting her. Pulls her sleeves down to cover her arms. Makes sure Johnny sees her do it. What does she want? Bobby's in jail -- just for a few months. *******!, she spits. She can't afford to live alone, to look after herself. She can't go back to her parents. If she could just be sure that she'd be able to afford the rent, food -- just for a few months, just until Bobby gets out. She looks at him, eyes large and pleading. Can she come in?

She used to be so manipulative, in her own naive way. A child playing games that have adult consequences. He looks at her now and realises she hasn't changed a bit.

This is revenge, she knows. She's getting what she deserves. She shouldn't have kept Jake from him, shouldn't have flaunted her husband in his face. Playing games with people like Johnny is never clever, and even though he's had to wait years he's making her pay.

She's always been a victim to karma. Dug her fingers into her arms hard enough to bruise them, thrown her face into a door, garnered sympathy from people, a place to stay the night. Until the bruises became real, a door replaced by a fist. Faked a pregnancy, kept someone by her side just that bit longer. Until it became a real baby inside her, dependent on her.

She supposes she deserves everything she gets.

But what about Jake? What does he deserve?

Rach33
13-04-2005, 21:46
Wow this is amazing please post more soon it's fab

Layne
14-04-2005, 07:14
FANTASTIC!!!!More soon!
Luv ya
Layne
x x x

Tamzi
14-04-2005, 13:42
Fab. More soon.

*Roxy*
15-04-2005, 17:53
it's really good

di marco
16-04-2005, 08:34
yeh its really great! :D love reading it! :) hope theres more soon, cant wait to find out what happens

Moon's_angel
22-04-2005, 14:31
fab! brill! wow!

MORE MORE MORE

BlackKat
22-04-2005, 21:11
Thanks everyone. Next chapter should be up soon. :D

di marco
23-04-2005, 20:52
great! :D cant wait to find out more

BlackKat
27-04-2005, 19:16

I've been watching you for hours
It's been years since we were born
We were perfect when we started
I've been wondering where we've gone
-- A Murder of One -- Counting Crows

Alison stumbles out of the club, struggles to catch her breath. Her hand goes for her handbag, instinctively, before she realises that she must have left it at Jake and Danny's house.

She can't let Johnny get to her. Not now. Can't let him scare her into running. She has to stay, has to see this through.

"Mum? You okay?" Jake walks towards her. She's never felt particularly maternal, but she suddenly wants to get him away from here. Away from Walford, away from Johnny.

"I'm fine," Alison smiles -- or at least tries to smile. "I was just looking around. It's a nice place." She looks up at the sign above the door. "You work here, don't you?" Jake nods. "Doing what?"

He shrugs. "General stuff."

"Are you working tonight?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I just wanted to spend some time with you and Danny. It's been a while since I've seen you."

"I know." Jake sighs. "There's still a couple of hours until me and Danny start work. We could go and get a drink."

Alison nods. "Okay. I just need to get my handbag."

"Two pints and a..." Jake looks back at the table where Danny and Alison are sitting. "And a coke."

Chrissie nods, follows Jake's gaze. "Who's that? Don't tell me Danny's pulled."

"Hardly. It's our mother."

"Oh, right. She here for a visit?"

Jake shrugs. "Who knows. She says she is."

Chrissie puts the drinks on the bar, stops Jake when he reaches for his wallet. "On the house. Remember."

Jake laughs. "I'll get spoiled."

"I doubt it, because I don't intend making a habit of it."

"Sure."

"It wouldn't do my business much good if I gave free drinks to every man that had a nice face and a cute smile, would it. Especially if they all had family members popping up out of nowhere."

Jake leans forward. "So you think I've got a cute smile?" Chrissie laughs, realising he's caught her out.

"Need a hand?" Alison says, coming to the bar.

Jake looks at the glass. "Um, yeah, that one's yours" He hands her the coke, then stops. "You didn't want anything with it did you?"

"No, this is fine." She looks at Chrissie and smiles hesitantly. "Hello."

Chrissie holds her hand out. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Chrissie Watts."

"Alison Moon." She returns the handshake, then looks at Jake. "Do you want me to pay for these?"

"No, it's okay." He smiles at Chrissie. "They're on the house."

‘Scarlet’ is busy when Johnny arrives. He searches out Tina first, tries to catch her eye. She smiles, then turns away.

Jake's at the bar, mixing drinks with ease. Johnny can't help seeing Alison in him, something in the mannerisms. But he can see himself as well, when he looks hard enough. Often he finds himself looking for it. Something that makes Jake his son. Something solid, unshakeable.

In his mind, Johnny makes it a conspiracy. Alison, keeping Jake away from him. Why -- it doesn't matter. All that matters is that she did. Sometimes he thinks that Bobby must have known, but knows that can't be true. He never had married Alison if he had any inkling of doubt that the baby she was carrying wasn't his.

Just Alison then. She started this thing. Johnny doesn't owe her anything.

He goes over to the bar.

Alison has a secret. In her handbag, in the inside pocket, nestled into the worn leather is a picture of Johnny with Jake.

Jake is 5 months old; it was taken at his Christening. Bobby had insisted on inviting Johnny, and since Johnny was his friend Alison couldn't say no. Not without giving a reason.

Bobby had been so happy that day. Showing Jake off, so proud of him. Alison hanging off his arm, perfect wife, perfect mother, and Jake being passed to everybody in the room. Including Johnny.

She's hidden the photo away. Until now.

“Jake! Everything okay.”

Jake looks up from the bar. “Yeah. Fine. Bit of trouble earlier, that’s about it.”

Johnny frowns. “What kind of trouble?”

“Oh, just a pair of drunks. It’s sorted.”

“You okay? You seem a bit distracted.”

“I’m fine.” Johnny raises an eyebrow and Jake smiles. “It’s just my mum’s turned up.” He shrugs. “You know what family is like.”

Johnny nods. “Do you see her a lot?”

“Not really.”

“Is she still with your father?”

Jake frowns slightly. “Probably not. Who knows.”

“I used to him, you know. Bobby.”

“Yeah? You’ve not mentioned it before.”

“It was a long time ago.” Johnny pauses. “Jake, I need to talk to you. In my office.”

“Yeah, sure.” He looks around to see if Tina can cover the bar.

A crash sounds outside, a shout. Jake swears and heads back towards the club entrance. “That’ll be those idiots back again. I should go make sure Danny’s handling it.” He looks at Johnny. “Unless it’s important.”

“What? No…it’s just…it’s just about the order. They’ve made a mess of it. I need you to sort it out.” He motions towards the door. “Go check on Danny. It can wait.”

“Mum? You still up...?” Danny’s quieter than usual when he comes in, looks around the door into the sitting room.

Alison sits up from where she sits slumped on the sofa, and straightens herself. “Yeah.” She looks at her watch. “What are you doing back? I thought you’d be working late.”

Danny holds his shirt up. “Some idiot got beer on it. Came back to get changed.”

“Oh, right.” She stands up. “I’ll probably be going to bed soon.” She looks at Danny’s shirt. “I could wash that…if you wanted.”

“No, it’s fine, I’ll sort it.”

“Okay. Well, good night.”

“Night.” Danny notices something on the sofa. “You’ve left your handbag.” He goes to pick it up before Alison can move.

The photograph has fallen out; it’s lying next to the bag. Danny stops, looks at his closely, and then picks it up. Turns to Alison, and holds it up. “What’s this?”

Layne
27-04-2005, 19:45
This is great!Compelling Stuff!
I wonder what danny is goign to say!
More soon
Luv ya
Layne
x x x

Skits
28-04-2005, 12:24
this is fab. more soon. :cheer:

Amber
28-04-2005, 18:59
Just read it.
OMG! OMG! OMG! I can't wait to find out what Danny does :eek::eek::eek:
Post more soon :D

Rach33
28-04-2005, 19:13
OH MY GAWD This is ace Danny might be a bit slow but I think even he could put two and two together he he post more sooooon

Tamzi
29-04-2005, 13:10
Wat is Danny going to say?

More
xxx

BlackKat
29-04-2005, 21:31
Thanks everyone. :cheer: I'm glad you like it.

Next part should be soon, but I've got to revise for my AS as well so that might mean it'll take longer.

di marco
30-04-2005, 10:57
great! :D loving the script! wonder what dannys gonna say! :) cant wait to find out, hope the next parts soon

Next part should be soon, but I've got to revise for my AS as well so that might mean it'll take longer.

i need to revise for them too but this site keeps distracting me, its a bad influence lol!

EastendersRox
10-05-2005, 16:44
Plz post more!

BlackKat
18-05-2005, 21:26
There should be more soon, I've taken a break from revision and written a bit for the next chapter already. Things are going to be heating up, :cool: . Some Jake/Chrissie coming up as well. :wub:

Tamzi
25-05-2005, 19:35
please post more soon. good luck with your exams
xxx

Angeldelight
02-06-2005, 12:35
WOW... wow... this is amazing script... fantastic... brilliant... wonder what Danny's going to say... please post more soon... more more more

BlackKat
02-06-2005, 19:26
Thanks. :D There's definately going to be in the next few days -- the next chapters nearly finished. Just a few more scenes to go. It's a long one as well -- already 6 pages in Word. I'm sorry the wait in between chapters is so long. Hopefully once the exams are over with (only two more to go :cheer: ) I should be able to update quicker. Ah...summer holidays soon. Can't wait.

Tamzi
03-06-2005, 13:17
Can't wait. Thank god for the holidays

BlackKat
03-06-2005, 13:47
Ta-DA! Finally finished the next chapter. Had to split it into two posts, lol.

If there is anyone who is in the sun
Will you help me to understand?
'Cause I’ve been caught in between all I wish for and all I need
Maybe you're not even sure what it's for
Any more than me
Joseph Arthur – In The Sun

“What’s this?” Danny holds the photo up, and Alison’s world narrows and dims and slows to a halt.

Danny’s examining the evidence. “This is Johnny.” He frowns. “This must have been taken ages ago.” He looks at her. “When was this taken?”

Alison settles for the truth. “It’s Jake’s christening.” She starts to babble and wring her hands. She knows her nervousness will alert him to the fact that something’s wrong, but she can’t help it. “You can see me in the background.” She grabs the photo. “It was your dad that took the picture.”

Danny snatches it back. “What was Johnny doing at Jake’s Christening?”

“He was a friend of your dad’s. It was a big day, everyone was invited.”

“Johnny never mentioned anything.”

“It was a long time ago, Danny. They weren’t that close. We moved away a few months after that, he probably forgot all about it.” She doesn’t mention that it was her who pushed the move forward, that tore Johnny’s name out the address book, that took the responsibility of telling everyone their new contact details and then didn’t.

Danny’s still talking. “Then why do you still have the photo? Why was it in your bag?” He knows something’s going on, he’s pushing her for it.

“I must have grabbed it by accident when I was packing.” She takes the photo from him, gently this time. “It’s just old memories.” She smiles sadly. “Old memories and forgotten faces.”

Danny’s not convinced, she can tell. “Does Johnny know you’re here.”

“Yes. I went to see him. We talked for a bit, that’s all.”

“And nothing else is going on.”

She looks him in the eye, and shakes her head. “Nothing.”

She looks him in the eye, and lies to her own son. She’s had a lot of practice at it. Behind her back, she tears the photo in half.

Johnny hates mornings. He prefers night, and the darkness of the club, with the red from the neon sign filtering through everything.

The morning’s too bright, and cheerful, and things become too real. He can’t ignore the fact that there are other people this will affect when Ruby sits across the table from him eating breakfast. She’s only just getting used to Tina; how will this affect her?

The house is too depressing. Scarlet’s picture hangs from the wall. Smiling, happy. She’d understand. If she were here, she’d understand how something like this could happen. Ruby won’t. Her and Scarlet…they’re too different.

He escapes to the club, to his office. To the dark and the red.

He’s only in office ten minutes before the phone rings, the tone shrill and unremitting.

“Scarlet. Johnny Allen speaking.”

“Johnny?” The voice is tense, she’s speaking with forced slowness. “It’s Alison.”

He takes the phone away from his ear, stares at it for a beat, then slowly puts in back to his ear. “Where are you calling from? Not the house?”

“No. I’m in a phone box. Johnny, I need to talk to you.”

“Well, come by the club then.”

“I can’t. People will see. Jake will see.”

Johnny sighs. “What’s it about?”

“What the hell do you think it’s about? This is getting out of hand.” He hears her frantically pushing more coins in. “It’s Danny. He knows something’s going on. He found the photo…the stupid, bloody photo.”

“Slow down…what photo?”

Alison pauses. “Of you…and Jake. At the Christening. Remember?”

“I remember,” he says quietly, and then quickly takes control. “How much does Danny know?”

“That you were there, obviously. That you knew Bobby. That’s what I told him. But I don’t think he was satisfied.”

“Where are you?”

“Outside the tube station. Why?”

“I’m coming to pick you up. We’ll go somewhere and talk. We are getting this sorted – now.” He hisses into the phone before slamming it down.

“Jake?”

“Mm…” Jake glances up from the pile of invoices in front of him and looks at his brother questioningly. “What?”

“Did Mum ever…mention that she knew Johnny.”

Jake looks up properly this time. “No. Johnny did though.”

“Yeah?”

“Well…not her. He said he knew Dad. Why? Did she say anything to you?”

“Yeah. Yeah, she said last night. That Dad and Johnny used to be mates…Why do you think neither of them said anything earlier?”

Jake shrugs. “Would you admit to being mates with Dad?”

Danny shakes his head with a rueful smile. “Probably not…Do you think Mum and Johnny knew each other well.”

“How do you mean?”

“Like…knew him.” Danny really doesn’t want to spell it out. It’s not that he’s prudish – far from it. But it’s his mother for god’s sake.

Judging by the look on Jake’s face he’s already reached the same conclusion. “They might have done. What did she say to you?”

Danny’s saved from having to make a decision about whether to tell Jake about the photograph by Johnny coming out of his office.

“Jake? Can you manage for a few hours? I need to go out somewhere…business.”

“What did you tell them?” is the first thing Alison asks when the car pulls up beside her.

Johnny leans across to open the passenger door. “Business. Get in.”

She does, and the car slowly pulls away.

Paused at the door to Scarlet, Tina watches and wonders.

Johnny drives them to a park outside of Walford. They’re both silent all the way there, and when Johnny finally stops the car Alison jumps out, striding away from it to sit on a bench, looking back to see Johnny following her.

“Danny won’t figure anything out if you don’t tell him anything.”

“If you’re so determined to tell Jake everything…why are you worried about Danny digging about?”

Johnny shrugs. “I don’t want him shooting his mouth off.”

“Ah.” She looks around the park. “I used to live across the street from a park just like this one.”

He nods. “With Bobby. And Jake.”

“Yeah.”

“Until you disappeared.”

She smiles. “I had to. I saw it. The way you kept looking at me. The way you were around Jake. I knew you’d figured it out, so I had to get away.”

“You could have just told the truth.”

Alison laughs. “And what do you think my husband would have had to say about that?”

“I mean before that. When you found out you were pregnant, you should have told me. Instead, you rushed Bobby down the aisle as if it was a race. I didn’t even find out you were pregnant until he told me. In the same sentence as he told me you were married.”

She stares straight ahead. “I didn’t tell anyone at first. For about 2 months. Not even Bobby. I just wanted it to go away. And then I remember thinking…’It can. I can make it go away.’”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I told my mum about it.” She smiles slightly, remembering. “She didn’t even mention the word abortion. She didn’t even contemplate that it had crossed my mind. The first thing she said was, ‘You’ll have to marry that nice young man of yours’.” Next to her, Johnny snorts at the less than truthful description of Bobby. “And I stood there in her kitchen…trying to think of a way to break it to her – what I was going to do. And then, she turned to me, and put her hand on my stomach, and said, ‘This is a gift, you understand. This baby is a gift…and don’t ever let it think otherwise’.” Alison turns to look at Johnny. “And that’s what I was trying to do. When I married Bobby. I was trying to make a life Johnny. I’d have never had that with you. Come on Johnny, you’re not exactly the marriage type are you?”

“You’d be surprised.”

She raises an eyebrow. “Yeah? You got married? Had a family.”

Next to her, he tenses slightly. “Yes…I had a wife.”

“Where is she?”

“She isn’t around anymore.”

“Oh…Kids?”

“A daughter. Ruby.”

“Right…And how is she going to react when all this comes out?”

He turns away.

“Exactly. Why don’t you let this lie? Jake’s a grown man, he’s coped his whole life not knowing. He doesn’t need to know.”

But Johnny needs him to know. Because he can’t keep this up. Pretending that it’s not there.

“You can’t do this him. He’s not a kid waiting around for a dad. You can’t make up for everything you think you’ve missed out on.”

“He needs to know the truth.”

“No, he doesn’t. It’s not going to change anything. You’re not doing this for Jake, you’re doing it to get back at me for whatever you think I’ve done to you. Or for some backward ideals of principle. Johnny, you need to let this go.”

He can’t though. He doesn’t know why, but he can’t.

BlackKat
03-06-2005, 13:47
Here's the second half of Chapter 4. :)

“Your mum seemed nice,” Chrissie says, leaning over the bar.

“Yeah.” Jake shrugs. “Suppose so.”

She laughs. “Aw…you’re not embarrassed are you. Having your mum around.”

“It’s not that. She just…” He shakes his head. “It’s nothing. Besides, she won’t be here long anyway.”

“No? She’s not sticking around.”

“It’s just a visit.” He seems like he wants to say more, but he doesn’t. Instead, he changes the subject. “So…”

“So…what?”

“You know what. When are you going to let me take you out for dinner?”

Chrissie makes a show of thinking about it, before glancing down the bar. “Sam’s covering the bar tomorrow night. I was going to put my feet up, but I suppose I could spare a few hours.”

Jake smiles. “Only a few?”

“Did you get it sorted?” Tina’s already in his office when Johnny enters.

“What?”

“I came by earlier. Jake said you’d gone to sort some business out.”

Johnny looks at the car keys in his hand before throwing them on his desk. “Yeah, I sorted it.”

“What was it?”

He smiles. “What’s with all the questions? It’s just business.”

“I’m just curious. I like knowing about things…about you.”

“Well, it’s nothing for you to worry about.”

She decides to take the bull by the horns. “What does Alison moon have to do with whatever business it was?” Johnny looks up sharply, a panicked expression on his face. “I saw her. Getting into your car.”

“How did you…”

“I met her yesterday. In the Vic. I know who she is – Danny and Jake’s mother. I just don’t know why you’re having secret meetings with her. Business? Pleasure?”

Johnny realises that she’s threatened. She thinks he’s having an affair – with Alison? Under any other circumstances, it would be amusing, but…He glances at the door quickly. “Did you tell anyone you saw us? Did you tell Jake? Or Danny.”

“No.” She follows his eyeline. “They’ve gone to the Vic for lunch. You don’t have to worry about them bursting in.”

“Tina…this isn’t what you’re thinking.”

“What is it?”

“I can’t tell you.” She shakes her head and starts to stand up. “Tina!”

She’s gone though. He knows it’s not permanent, knows she’ll be back soon enough, but he can’t help letting the mask slip a little. He wants him and Tina to work out, he wants the tentative relationship he has with Ruby to survive, and he’s not sure what he wants from Jake but there’s something there he can’t let go of.

It’s never usually a problem for him. He knows when to back out before situations become dangerous, before they explode. He has a feeling he should pull out now. Or several stops back.

Layne
03-06-2005, 14:25
Wow, took me a while to read but yeh great stuff, Tina is a little jealous!! Abnd yes jake Chrissie can spare a few hours!!!

Post more soon darlin!
This sis fab!!!
xxx
:wub: :thumbsup:

Angeldelight
03-06-2005, 14:30
this is fab... brill... it's great... what will Johnny do now... hmmm... ahh Chrissie and Jake... what Danny guna do, not something stupid i hope... this is great please post more soon... yey for the hoildays

BlackKat
03-06-2005, 21:53
Thanks. :cheer:

I'll try to get the next part up sooner. It's shorter, so it should take me as long to write. Everything starts to kick off soon -- including JC :wub: .

And can I just say that I know I've written a very confusing argument scene when even I can't decide who's right out of Johnny and Alison, :lol:

As for Danny doing something stupid...would he? :angel:

Rach33
04-06-2005, 01:03
yay Kat it's brill as usual keep it coming

squarelady
04-06-2005, 01:08
I've only skim read this. I saw those amazing banners of yours and wanted to see how good your fiction writing is! :D I really love it! I'm doing exams so hopefully when I'm finished with mine I'll be able to sit down and read it in full properly but it's really well written and I love the characters! Can't wait to read it! xx

ameliauk1
04-06-2005, 11:46
great story

amelia

xxxxxxx

di marco
09-06-2005, 08:16
fab! :D loved the jc part! and i hope danny doesnt put his foot in it! :) more very soon please, cant wait

ameliauk1
11-06-2005, 11:36
please please please post more this story is fab xxx amelia

Tamzi
11-06-2005, 12:21
Fab. Danny do something stupid? Never. Yeah J. Cant wait for the next bit. Fab1 more more more
xxx

lil baby tash
24-10-2005, 13:48
more more more more!!!!

kirstienod
24-10-2005, 15:27
Just started reading this, it brill well done

sarahwelford
26-10-2005, 23:36
brilliant more a.s.a.p please