PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone on here ride?

horseygal90
09-07-2005, 18:10
Talking horses here... Not bikes! Wondering if any of you ride, there's gotta be some! If so, how long, what disciplines and do you have any horses etc.?

I've been riding 10 years, english (mainly showjumping and dressage, not much x-country) and don't own, which is making it extremly hard for me to get anywhere - I want to go show jumping at a show, but no horse means no show! Am begging my mum to let me get a loan horse so I can have a little more freedom and ride some more, but it's not working. :thumbsdow :(

Also, what's your ideal horse?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section or shouldn't be here!)

di marco
09-07-2005, 18:44
yeh i think this is the right section. my sis wanted to go riding a few yrs ago but never actully went and i think shes sort of grown out the idea as shes quite lazy. we might be going horseriding when we go on hols though

horseygal90
09-07-2005, 19:45
I'm really lazy, riding's the only exercise (apart from school PE) that I'm doing at the moment!

willow
09-07-2005, 19:47
i used to ride, i started when i was 8 i have not been on a horse for about 10 years!!!
i might do soon though as my son said he wants to go!!!

squillyfer
09-07-2005, 23:18
ridings the only excercise i get i'm really lazy too but i would love my own horse but its a no go area with my parents

Treacle
12-07-2005, 15:14
It was always a dream of mine to own a pony. I suppose that comes with the territory of being a little girl.
I never got one though. My friend's granda had a big one in a field he rented and he used to offer me a ride but I would have been terrified on a big horse.

horseygal90
12-07-2005, 19:25
Big horses are nothing - It's the little ponies you wanna worry about, some are right *****s!

Treacle
13-07-2005, 04:08
I always wanted a Shetland but wasn't sure whether you could ride them or not.

horseygal90
13-07-2005, 11:19
Actually, you can - As long as you're not extremly heavy and don't mind, you can ride them - But you have to be careful! They're surprisingly hardy, all natives are. Though if you couldn't get a shetland you could try an icelandic - Shetlands, but bigger! They're absotuly gorgeous, and can carry grown adults. Also, they can tolt - it's meant to be really relaxing and smooth.

Treacle
14-07-2005, 13:38
Actually, you can - As long as you're not extremly heavy and don't mind, you can ride them - But you have to be careful! They're surprisingly hardy, all natives are. Though if you couldn't get a shetland you could try an icelandic - Shetlands, but bigger! They're absotuly gorgeous, and can carry grown adults. Also, they can tolt - it's meant to be really relaxing and smooth.
Well I haven't got anywhere to keep one at the moment but I'll bear that in mind, thanks :)
Might raise a few eyebrows if I have a pony in the garden.

$sTaCeY$
14-07-2005, 19:57
I have never rided a horse but i have rided a donkey :p , I would like to ride a horse though

Treacle
15-07-2005, 03:28
I have rode one of them mechanical bulls they have at fairs/festivals. They are great.

Jojo
15-07-2005, 12:35
I rode from 6ish to 15 (thats how I got my huge behind!! :lol:)

Owned my own connemara cross from 13, went cross countrying, one day eventing etc. There was nothing better than to canter through the straw fields just after they'd been cutting, letting Lad (my horse) have the reins and just go for it - excellent. Didn't really ride again after he had to be put down, and plus by then I had discovered booze, fags and boys :rotfl:

samantha nixon
15-07-2005, 20:28
i want to go riding and i have done for ages as i also want my own horse and my mate has 5 horses so shes dead lucky

xCharliex
16-07-2005, 13:25
Yeah i ride, i started when i was 18 months then rode til the age of 13/14 i got asked to represent Great Britain in the Mounted Games team, as thats what i did, MGA and Prince Phillip, did Pony Club as well, but i was ,mainly into doing the games.
Unfortunately my games pony tore his tendon and basically just kept becomming lame, so i had to sell him.
I stopped riding then bought a new pony last sept. I have one on loan as well til the end of this month but he is going back as im starting college in sept.

horseygal90
16-07-2005, 14:39
Mounted Games? Always wanted to try them, but I doubt I'd be any good - No co-ordination!

We're lucky, the hacking around here's great (woods and fields all around!) but the traffic's terrible... Most of it's off road though. Nothing better than having a long canter through a field! Best feeling in the world, IMO!

xCharliex
16-07-2005, 15:45
Oh yes i love galloping across the fields, makes you forget about all your troubles. I go out hacking all the time on Cracker-Jack, his the one i have on loan, he's crazy! Im gonna miss doing that though when he goes. My pony Lacey is really untrustworthy, i cant take her out or anything as i dont know what she's going to do, she freaks at everything, i only ride her in the indoor school, had some pretty nasty falls already this year, so i have a pretty low confidence on her. Shes a great jumper though, but i dont really like jumping, all my games ponies were so fast they just galloped up to the jumps and stopped dead, and i used to come off, thats way im so scared of jumping.
Its gonna take a while before i have the confidence i have on Jacko to be able to do things with Lacey, all my ponies ive evere had were push button ones, Lacey needs so much work.

Mounted Games is fab, i love it, ive gotta admit i was pretty good, it seems i had found the only thing i was good at, and if my old games pony Charm never had that fall and did his tendon in, maybe i would have been riding for Great Britain now, would have been my dream, i guess things happen for a reason though. I used to ride at Windsor Castle every year in my Prince Phillip team, and Herts County, East of England show. Did the World Individuals when i was about 11 came 2nd by 1 point, i had such a great time, id do it all over again if i could

sarahwelford
20-07-2005, 00:23
usd to when i was younger not anymore

~*~Leanne~*~
09-08-2005, 20:36
id love to be able to riding my mate has her own horses so she is lucky