PDA

View Full Version : Dr Who- The New Series

*JSW*
24-03-2005, 15:29
Well I bought the Radio Times today and they've got a big section on Dr Who (special cover and even a seperate magazine) all in honour of the new series. The first episode already sounds interesting:
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
The Time lord who now has many lives as a cat, materialises once more for the 9th incarnation of the classic sci-fi drama.
Rose After meeting a mysterious stranger Rose Tyler realises her life will never be the same again.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
Sounds very introductionish to me. Its a 13 part series and i'm hopeing it should be pretty good (but we all know how re-makes can go disasterishally wrong!)

There are three programmes on Saturday:
5.25-5.55pm Dr Who- A New Dimension (BBC1)
Strictly Dance Fever suitably placed in the middle :D
7.00-7.45pm Dr Who (episode 1) (BBC1)
7.45-8.15pm Dr Who- Confidential (BBC3) (also a 13 part series)

Anyway it all sounds really good and I look forward to hereing your opinions!

daisy38
24-03-2005, 15:31
You know, i am really looking forward to this! :thumbsup:

*JSW*
25-03-2005, 15:29
You know, i am really looking forward to this! :thumbsup:
Same here, hopefully it will come out a good quality and doesn't look really cheap. With it being Easter I expect some hefty rating for epi 1 but whether they can hold them remains to be seen

Meh
26-03-2005, 21:00
Just saw the new series and I wasn't impressed. What a waste of talent. They rehashed an old Doctor Who story called "Terror of the Autons". The storyline was too weak - I really hope it improves, otherwise its gonna be as crap as the Sylvester McCoy era.

They knew a lot depended on the first episode, so why not start it off with a complete sizzler? The only saving grace was the internet conspiracy theory.

Very disappointed.

SoapWatcher
26-03-2005, 21:24
What was wrong with the Sylvestor Mccoy era? He was one of the first Doctors I watched, I loved him! From what I can remember Dr Who was cancelled in the 80s because of the time it was on. Put it on at a rubbish time so it is competing with other things, and then have a good excuse to get rid of it! Grrr!

I liked it, yeah the dummies weren't exactly the most exciting things, but I liked the Doctor. First episodes are never that exciting anyway, I mean just look at Star Trek, it takes people at least one season to get into a new show.

Meh
26-03-2005, 22:15
Sylvester McCoy ear was plagued with dire scriptsand poor acting. The reason it was axed was that even die-hard fans stopped watching it.

I do hope it improves as I want the show to do really well.

*JSW*
26-03-2005, 22:29
I thought the epiosde relied to heavily on explosions and basically showing off with 'cool graphics'. i found it slow at times as well. But it was a pilot epiosde really and we haven't got off to the proper storylines yet. basically an introduction to hopefully what we can expect....

Huch'net
26-03-2005, 22:55
I thought it was brilliant!!! Its bound to get better as it progresses but its introducing the characters at the minute, I'm sure it'll find its feet. And its better than the annoying Ant & Dec! :thumbsup:

willow
26-03-2005, 23:04
i really enjoyed tonights episode, i agree it was inroducig the characters. i am sure it will get better and better. and it is defenatly better than ant and dec!!!!

SoapWatcher
26-03-2005, 23:17
Sylvester McCoy ear was plagued with dire scriptsand poor acting. The reason it was axed was that even die-hard fans stopped watching it.

I do hope it improves as I want the show to do really well.

Im a dire hard fan and I liked him, though saying that he wasn't the best Doctor, but he was the first proper one I had seen and I did think of him as the Doctor when I was younger. ;-) So I think thats why I like him.

Tom Bakers the best though!

Meh
30-03-2005, 18:08
According to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4385801.stm), Doctor Who got 10.5 million viewers. Not bad.

*JSW*
30-03-2005, 18:32
Thats very respectable considering it went up against the might of Ant and Dec's Saturday night Takeway and was on a Saturday. So far i've heard a lot of positive stuff about the programme. This Saturday will be when we really begin to see the real Doctor Who

*JSW*
30-03-2005, 19:04
News just in: Dr Who has already been commisioned for a second series! Its still unkown whether CHristopher Ecclestone will return for the second series to reprise his role as DR Who. News over and out!

SoapWatcher
30-03-2005, 20:13
News just in: Dr Who has already been commisioned for a second series! Its still unkown whether CHristopher Ecclestone will return for the second series to reprise his role as DR Who. News over and out!

Oh no, we won't be on the 10th Doctor in the second season??? He'll soon run out of lives!

*JSW*
31-03-2005, 01:07
Well Christopher Ecclestone has confirmed he won't be returning o reprise the role so it looks like a 10th Doctor!

brenda1971
31-03-2005, 10:09
I think that is a shame because I thought that Christopher eccleston was very good.

SoapWatcher
31-03-2005, 17:58
This really annoys me, it should be a honour to play Dr Who, you cant have people messing about with it like this. He should have known that it was going to run for more than one series, if it was successful. If you start having a new doctor every season then it gets incredibly stupid.

It also annoys me how he thinks hes going to be typecast, you dont get typecast unless youve been in something for more than a few years. No ones asking him to be in it for the next 100 years! He could have the decency to make another series. I think unless someone is going to be series in playing the role, then they shouldn't be chosen. I remember hearing news stories about him, saying his mates were teasing him for playing Dr Who , when he got the role. Pfft, should have known then that he wasn't serious.

Bad Wolf
31-03-2005, 18:50
i totally agree, and anyway dr who is a role he will always be known for, its not really the easiest thing to forget is it?

Meh
31-03-2005, 19:29
It didn't do any harm to Tom Bakers career. We can't have Doctor Who regenerating at a whim. Paul McGann only did one episode ffs!

SoapWatcher
31-03-2005, 19:52
I can't blame Paul McGann, he didn't exactly quit. Shame they couldn't have brought him back really, but I suppose its been too long.

Meh
01-04-2005, 12:56
The Doctors only got 3 more regenerations to go! At this rate, the series isn't going to last long! They must have come up with new ideas by now to extend his regeneration.

Bad Wolf
01-04-2005, 12:57
what do you mean only three regenerations to go? i didn't realise there was a limit

Meh
01-04-2005, 13:00
The Doctor can only regenerate 12 times. If definately unlucky 13 for him.

*JSW*
01-04-2005, 13:07
Knowing the BBC they'll find a silly way around it

Bad Wolf
01-04-2005, 13:09
ohh, i didn't know that. that might cause a problem, maybe they will do some kind of super regeneration and he will come back as a woman????

Meh
01-04-2005, 13:11
That's been suggested before. Not to be sexist, but a woman as Doctor Who? :searchme:

*JSW*
01-04-2005, 13:12
I don't see it working either Mordor! :D

Bad Wolf
01-04-2005, 13:15
sorry!! i was trying to be funny, it wouldn't work, next idea?

*JSW*
01-04-2005, 13:19
Sorry! I thought you were serious!

Mabye they could do a Dallas? Forget everything and t'was all a dream! :D

Meh
01-04-2005, 13:20

:lol:

~Sooz~
02-04-2005, 14:45
I really enjoyed it, I thought Christopher Eccleston was great - I love his acting anyway. I think its a shame he's going after one series but its his choice.

SoapWatcher
02-04-2005, 17:48

Good idea.