Bad Wolf
24-03-2005, 13:58
mine has to be blood brothers by willy russell, it was brilliant

Jade
24-03-2005, 14:24
Educating Rita

Meh
24-03-2005, 14:59
I can't remember studying any plays it was that long ago, but I remember Animal Farm @ GCSE which is brill, and then at A level we did Muriel Sparks "Pride of Miss Jean Brodie". Now that is class.

daisy38
24-03-2005, 15:01
My fav was The Woman in Black, its brilliant. :D

*JSW*
24-03-2005, 15:16
I found myself actually enjoying plays such as Macbeth and Romeo & Juliet, when I studied them. Both are brilliant Shakepearian plays

.:Kitz:.
08-04-2005, 15:29
Honestly? We just finished Romeo & Juliet, i may have got an A+ on my project but it was boring as HELL!! But the bonus was we got to watch Leonardo Di Caprio topless in the Baz Lerman version of the film but we all nearly died watching the old 1970's version. *snore* give me algebra anyday! It was fun learning about the basis for it tho.

Bad Wolf
08-04-2005, 15:33
that film came out after we looked at it, baz lurhman is a brilliant film director, my teacher didn't really agree with them taking an e pill but we explained that shakespeare was considered extreme back in his day, so it was appropriate in the modern version

.:Kitz:.
08-04-2005, 16:47
Yeah, he brought it into modern day scenarios and portrayed it really well. All of the loud mouths of my english group class took the mick out of the old version. Luckily we have a very understanding english teacher..... She's not exactly a spring chicken but she understands our views and she likes the newer versions of films rather than the old ones so if we do study things she lets us watch the newer ones first!! YAY!! :thumbsup:

Trinity
14-07-2005, 16:11
Honestly? We just finished Romeo & Juliet, i may have got an A+ on my project but it was boring as HELL!! But the bonus was we got to watch Leonardo Di Caprio topless in the Baz Lerman version of the film but we all nearly died watching the old 1970's version. *snore* give me algebra anyday! It was fun learning about the basis for it tho.

I remember doing Macbeth and Hamlet. The school took us to the Citizens Theatre in Glasgow to see a 'modern' production of Hamlet - it was set in a psych ward and there were iron beds and white sheets on stage all the way through!

di marco
15-07-2005, 07:18
the only plays i remember doing are a midsummer nights dream, romeo and juliet, hobsons choice, our day out, and my sis just reminded me that i did the crucible. hobsons choice was absolutely rubbish, its was so boring, and we had to read it about 3 times as it was part of our gcse exam work. romeo and juliet and a midsummer nights dream were ok, but got a bit boring as i didnt understand them! i liked it when we got to act them out! the crucible was a bit weird, it was ok to start with then that got a bit boring too. i liked doing our day out. we read it in english with this english teacher we had who couldnt speak english lol! and then we acted out the whole play in performing arts a year later. oh, and we read 2 pages of mcbeth

Abi
15-07-2005, 10:28
I'm doin Romeo and Juliet in English, and think its fab. Its surprisingly easy to udnerstand and has morals which can be thought about really easily now

CrazyLea
15-07-2005, 11:04
i agree with rach before. blood blothers is briiliant. its a really good story and everything. the only story i enjoyed. i hated of mice and men!!

Katy
15-07-2005, 11:13
in my school they did really rubbish books. In year 9 we did our day out and that was quite funny. My GCSE texts were dreadful i cant remeber the titles to half of them.

Abi
15-07-2005, 11:17
why only 2 pages?

Luna
15-07-2005, 22:46
Into exile - it was a brillaint play all about a catholic girl falling in love with a prodistant boy in ireland and how they had to move to london to avoid hate attacks on them. We also read the follow up. They gave us a choice between this and shakespeare so glad we picked this

xCharliex
15-07-2005, 22:50
Educating Rita

Yes i agree, i loved this film, was great. I love Julie Walters, shes an amazing actress, love her in Calendar Girls

blondelilangel
15-07-2005, 22:54
I have studied a Midsummer's night Dream, Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth so far at school. I reely enjoyed Romeo and Juliet in particular but couldn't stand a Midsummer's Night Dream, also did some of shakespeare's sonnets at GCSE which were quite good. If I continue English for A2, we have to read Hamlet.. is it a good play?
GCSE: For coursework we were given 'A Birthday Party' by Harold Pinter which was alrite but our set text 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad was soooooooooooooo boring, it was terrible.

di marco
16-07-2005, 09:06
why only 2 pages?

i dont know, i think we were meant to read the whole play but we started it with one teacher (we read some of the witches scene/part) then that teacher left and we got a teacher who couldnt speak english! and she said we were reading our day out instead

di marco
16-07-2005, 09:07
I'm doin Romeo and Juliet in English, and think its fab. Its surprisingly easy to udnerstand and has morals which can be thought about really easily now

i found it alright. our english teacher was really good and explained it all to us and the video made it easier to understand too. its def the most interesting shakespeare play

di marco
16-07-2005, 09:08
i hated of mice and men!!

i thought it was quite good compared to all the other rubbish we had to read!

di marco
16-07-2005, 09:10
in my school they did really rubbish books. In year 9 we did our day out and that was quite funny. My GCSE texts were dreadful i cant remeber the titles to half of them.

yeh we did mostly rubbish books too! our day out was great, the best book i read at school! acting it out in performing arts was fun, and the people who did performing arts that were in my english class too had a head start cos wed read it already! :)