PDA

View Full Version : War of the Worlds

Luna
08-07-2005, 14:33
Has anyone seen this film? I saw it last night and thought it was the biggest load of rubbish i have ever seen in my life. Couldn't understand a thing. Started way too fast and ended too fast. There were also a lot of unexplained things at the end. Which really bugged me :angry:

What did everyone else think of it??

Trinity
08-07-2005, 14:34
I am going tonight, I will let you know!

Luna
08-07-2005, 14:38
Sorry if that ruined it for you

samantha nixon
08-07-2005, 16:22
I Havent Seen It But It Is Ment To Be Really Good

Abi
08-07-2005, 16:37
I'm going on Sunday- i'm told that it was good.
I might go and see the Decent otherwise

Johnny Allen
08-07-2005, 16:38
The special effects were good, but it was no Spielberg classic.
Cruise is fine in his role, playing the usual good guy and Dakota Fanning continues to cement her status as the best child actor, Tim Robbins is also effective but underused.
Yes the effects are good, but the ending sucked, I won't give to much away but it was so arubpt and felt too rushed.

Luna
08-07-2005, 17:00
Cruise is fine in his role, playing the usual good guy and Dakota Fanning continues to cement her status as the best child actor, Tim Robbins is also effective but underused.
Yes the effects are good, but the ending sucked, I won't give to much away but it was so arubpt and felt too rushed.

Totally agree :cheer:

Katy
08-07-2005, 17:17
Not seen it yet but my mate said i wouldnt like it as she didnt understand it and we are really simular

Trinity
09-07-2005, 13:27

I agree totally with most of your comments - but I loved the movie! Tom Cruise was the best I have seen him and Dakota Fanning was brilliant. The special effects were superb and frightening. I was gripped through the whole movie until the end. Which as Johnny says was way too abrupt. The ending premise was the same as the book, and although it works in print they had obviously used up all their visual ideas earlier in the story. It was almost like, time is up, we have to wind up this story in 2 minutes!

There were serious weaknesses to the story which I cannot go into here in case I spoil the movie for others, but if you are prepared to overlook a few flaws in logic, it is a rollercoaster ride with an abrupt end. Well worth the cost of admission. Might be a bit scary for under 10s.

Abi
09-07-2005, 13:33
Its a 12A though isn't it

.:Kitz:.
09-07-2005, 13:36
i'm a wimp, do you actually see aliens and stuff??

Trinity
09-07-2005, 15:23
Yes, but they are not too bad. The actual aliens are not doing much, it is the alien machines, the tripods

Abi
10-07-2005, 18:56
I just got back from seeing it
I thought that it was really good. Sure it wasn't as good as most of Steven Spielburgs films, but it was still pretty good
I didn't really understand the very very end bit, but that might just be because i'm a little dumb today!

Luna
10-07-2005, 19:40
I just got back from seeing it
I thought that it was really good. Sure it wasn't as good as most of Steven Spielburgs films, but it was still pretty good
I didn't really understand the very very end bit, but that might just be because i'm a little dumb today!

I dont think anyone understood the ending

Trinity
10-07-2005, 19:49
SPOILER********* DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE**********SPOILER

The ending was very rushed, but it was also very simple.

Man have evolved over millions of years, at the same time as millions of microorganisms and bugs. We have developed a resistance to the bugs over this time. The aliens had no resistance to earth microorganisms and "began to die as soon as they drank our water and breathed our air". Simple, but not easy to make a finale out of!

What didn't make sense was the aliens burying machines and waiting millions of years to take over Earth, why did they not just take the planet before humans evolved? And how did the son get to Boston before his dad and sister- I thought he was heading for certain death??

Luna
10-07-2005, 19:55

The ending was very rushed, but it was also very simple.

Man have evolved over millions of years, at the same time as millions of microorganisms and bugs. We have developed a resistance to the bugs over this time. The aliens had no resistance to earth microorganisms and "began to die as soon as they drank our water and breathed our air". Simple, but not easy to make a finale out of!

ANOTHER SPOLIER!!!

What i found funny was that they never explained how the son got home??? He went over that hill two seconds later the hill exploded and the tripods came over?

Trinity
10-07-2005, 19:58
Lunalee, I totally agree - I was editing my post when you posted this.

Abi
10-07-2005, 20:19
Ahh i get it now! Thats why the tripod thingys just stopped!

DONT READ IF YOU AINT WATCHED IT
What i thought was funny was at the beginning when all of the power just went, and you saw people with video cameras! If everything including his watch wouldn't work, then how does that figure

Still an ace film

Trinity
10-07-2005, 20:22

What i thought was funny was at the beginning when all of the power just went, and you saw people with video cameras! If everything including his watch wouldn't work, then how does that figure

Still an ace film

yes - and why did all the army cars work, i bet they didn;t have that many spare solinoids!

Like I said before, if you can ignore a few flaw of logic, enjoy the movie for what it is!

Luna
10-07-2005, 21:20

What didn't make sense was the aliens burying machines and waiting millions of years to take over Earth, why did they not just take the planet before humans evolved? And how did the son get to Boston before his dad and sister- I thought he was heading for certain death??

I'm not sure but i think they needed our blood?? Just guessing as they sprayed it all over the place. But them again how did they no million of years ago that humans would evolve?

Basically the son was heading for certain death no one else came over the top of that hill alive after the explosion. So this guy (say he was 15-16) managed to dodge all the tripods with the help of his dad for he first half of the movie. Run's over the top of a hill and doesn't die even though the whole thing blew up and killed most of the army, then managed to make it to boston well before his dad and his sister without getting caught, killed and sprayed everywhere!!! Lol the things you can do in movie land :lol:

Luna
10-07-2005, 21:22

Still an ace film

And how did tom manange to be the only person (execpt the army) to figure out how to get the car working?

true.moon
10-07-2005, 21:24
some peolple say its fab
havent seen it and dont want to
not my time of film!!

16-08-2005, 18:56
Sprayed every where?! Arghh! I'm going to see it tonight but i'm a real big wimp so i ain't happy about the phrase "sprayed" :eek: what do you mean?

Luna
16-08-2005, 18:57
it's ok you dont see much lol

16-08-2005, 19:06
yeah, but luna......I'm such a wimp!! Blood and guts?? *shudder* i'd rather watch fluffy bunnies and cuddly bears that!! But is it really scarey???

Luna
16-08-2005, 19:08
lol you cant be that bad. nah it's not scary honestly you dont see much of the killings

16-08-2005, 19:11
you sure? honestly? coz i'll be vewy vewy angwy if your wong!! lol :D

16-08-2005, 19:12
oh and yeah, i'm terrible luna. I really am that bad :)

Luna
16-08-2005, 19:40
lol honesty im sure. Let me know how you get on

17-08-2005, 15:26
I loved that film! the effects were amazing and you can almost forget that it's Tom Cruise on the screen *yey* Ok, but one tiny....ok maybe 5 tiny things i didn't understand:
1) how the hell did Robbie get to the house
2) why is it when they say " they died coz they breathed our air" or something, that they were fine when they were looking around the basment
3) that when one died, they all died :confused:
4) why the ending was so fast and lame
5) how the hell is that remotely relevent to 9/11. although i guess i do see some silmilarities!

but i thought i was really good! the effects were awsome! and that robbie kid was cute!! :wub: Dakota was amazing in this film! And luna, it wasn't as scarey as i thought it would be. thanks for reasuring (sp?) me hun xx :)