PDA

View Full Version : Happy Valley

tammyy2j
17-04-2014, 21:48
BBC One has released the first trailer for their upcoming kidnapping drama Happy Valley. The six part series, which is being toplined by Last Tango In Halifax and The Paradise alum Sarah Lancashire, is set to premiere On Tuesday April 29th at 9pm. Created by Sally Wainwright, Happy Valley follows Catherine Crowther (Sarah Lancashrie), a no-nonsense police sergeant who heads up a team of dedicated police officers in a rural valley in Yorkshire. When a staged kidnapping quickly spirals out of control and turns into a much more brutal and vicious series of crimes, Catherine finds herself involved in something significantly bigger than her rank, but unknowingly close to home. The series is produced by Red Production Company and stars Sarah Lancashire (The Paradise), Joe Armstrong (Robin Hood), Steve Pemberton (Whitechapel), Siobhan Finneran (Downton Abbey), George Costigan (Calendar Girls), James Norton (Death Comes to Pemberley), Adam Long (Waterloo Road), Karl Davies (Game of Thrones), Ramon Tikaram (EastEnders) and Charlie Murphy (The Village).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_YjBW5YWvI&feature=player_embedded

Snagglepus
10-05-2014, 17:10
I enjoyed watching The Paradise and Last Tango In Halifax and now I am hooked on Happy Valley.
What a fine actress Sarah Lancashire is.

Perdita
04-06-2014, 12:12
A second series of Happy Valley is in the planning stages, creator Sally Wainwright has confirmed.

Wainwright told Radio Times that there is "potential" for another run, though she is yet to receive the official nod from BBC One.

"It's something that I hope we'll be able to do again," she said. "There isn't officially a series two. But it's certainly got the potential. I've some tentative ideas for a whole new story for Catherine, Clare and Ryan."

The writer also responded to accusations that Happy Valley contained "gratuitous" violence, branding the show's critics "naive".

"Gratuitous violence is what you see on video games, Game of Thrones or - from what I've heard - things like Luther," she argued. "There, you don't even know who the victim is and it's just a body on a slab in a morgue.

"The violence in Happy Valley was about women who we knew and cared for. And that was the whole point."

The first series of Happy Valley climaxed last night on BBC One, pulling in an audience of 6.3m viewers.

Katy
06-06-2014, 19:00
A second series of Happy Valley is in the planning stages, creator Sally Wainwright has confirmed.

Wainwright told Radio Times that there is "potential" for another run, though she is yet to receive the official nod from BBC One.

"It's something that I hope we'll be able to do again," she said. "There isn't officially a series two. But it's certainly got the potential. I've some tentative ideas for a whole new story for Catherine, Clare and Ryan."

The writer also responded to accusations that Happy Valley contained "gratuitous" violence, branding the show's critics "naive".

"Gratuitous violence is what you see on video games, Game of Thrones or - from what I've heard - things like Luther," she argued. "There, you don't even know who the victim is and it's just a body on a slab in a morgue.

"The violence in Happy Valley was about women who we knew and cared for. And that was the whole point."

The first series of Happy Valley climaxed last night on BBC One, pulling in an audience of 6.3m viewers.

I am thrilled that there is potential for a second series! I hope it goes ahead.

This was one of the best tv series I have seen in a long time and Sarah Lancashire is just amazing in every role that she does

lizann
03-05-2015, 01:05
really enjoyed this series which finally caught recently sarah lanchasire is amazing she gets better every role

Dazzle
03-05-2015, 18:44
really enjoyed this series which finally caught recently sarah lanchasire is amazing she gets better every role

It was fantastic wasn't it? I agree about Sarah Lancashire - she's outstanding. :)

lizann
03-05-2015, 20:23
It was fantastic wasn't it? I agree about Sarah Lancashire - she's outstanding. :)

yes and i hope james norton has a great career as well excellent in his role and easy on the eyes too

lizann
03-05-2015, 20:23

yes and i hope james norton has a great career as well excellent in his role and easy on the eyes too

Dazzle
03-05-2015, 20:39

His character was way too repulsive for me to find him attractive! :eek:

lizann
04-05-2015, 19:48

i like dark villains im disturbed

lizann
04-05-2015, 19:48

Snagglepus
04-05-2015, 20:04
I've known a few women who for some reason take to thugs, even staying with them after they have received a black eye or had a tooth knocked out..
Strange species.

Snagglepus
04-05-2015, 20:04
I've known a few women who for some reason take to thugs, even staying with them after they have received a black eye or had a tooth knocked out..
Strange species.

Perdita
04-05-2015, 20:22
They think they are in love with the guy and can't bear the thought of being without him, because when the guy is in a good mood, he treats his lady like a princess ... or they feel they have nowhere to go, especially if kids are involved. Financial worries too keep a lot of women staying with somebody that abuses them :(

lizann
04-05-2015, 21:48
Strange species.

i need to keep the teeth i have left :p

i like james norton the actor who played tommy

lizann
04-05-2015, 21:48
Strange species.

i need to keep the teeth i have left :p

i like james norton the actor who played tommy

Dazzle
05-05-2015, 18:58

I've always had a soft spot for bad boys too but I draw the line at rapists and sadists! :p

tammyy2j
05-05-2015, 22:29
As long as Catherine is in season 2 cant wait

lizann
11-05-2015, 22:57
james norton will back so will tommy escape prison

Perdita
28-01-2016, 11:20
Returns on 9th February at 9.oo pm on BBC1

Whilst out solving a case of sheep rustling, Catherine discovers a decomposed body hidden in a garage on a local estate. Raped and murdered, the victim is someone close to home. All too soon, Catherine finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation.

Meanwhile Clare bumps into her old friend Neil Ackroyd, who has recently moved to Hebden Bridge and works in the local corner shop. Will old flames reignite? Other relationships are thrown into turmoil as Catherine kindly takes in son Daniel after he is thrown out of his house, while Detective Sergeant John Wadsworth faces a tough decision when his girlfriend unexpectedly turns up at the house he shares with his wife and children.

When another dead body is found the police begin to suspect a serial killer is behind the murders, and Detective Superintendent Andy Shepherd and Detective Inspector Jodie Shackleton are called in to head up the case. Locked away behind bars, Tommy Lee Royce is given some very unexpected news and, distraught, seeks comfort in a mysterious female visitor.

Perdita
02-02-2016, 14:36
Episode 2/6

16th February

While she remains a suspect in the Lynn Dewhurst investigation, Catherine focuses on a human trafficking case.

Following a successful police raid, Catherine ensures all the women are taken to safe houses. Ilinka, who has vital information on those behind the trafficking, is given refuge with Catherine’s neighbour Winnie and reluctantly agrees to speak to the police. But has Catherine inadvertently put her in danger?

As Vicky's threats continue, John struggles to get a handle on the murder case. Feeling under pressure at work and at home he takes drastic measures to save both his marriage and reputation.

When Tommy is granted special leave to attend his mother’s funeral, Catherine has an inexplicable compulsion to attend - bringing him face to face with him once more. Meanwhile Clare, feeling vulnerable at Helen’s funeral, turns to an old friend for comfort.

Perdita
18-02-2016, 11:43
23rd Feb

Paying the price of attending Lynn Dewhurst’s funeral, Catherine is ordered to undergo a course of therapy or face medical retirement. Still unable to provide an alibi, Joyce offers a helping hand - but will Catherine take it?

John takes drastic measures to stage Vicky’s murder, while his already-fragile marriage continues to deteriorate. Meanwhile, Ann throws herself into work following her mother’s death, Clare receives some unsettling news from Ryan and Catherine continues to look out for Ilinka, as a development in the human trafficking case comes to a head.

Perdita
18-02-2016, 11:44
1st March

Paying the price of attending Lynn Dewhurst’s funeral, Catherine is ordered to undergo a course of therapy or face medical retirement. Still unable to provide an alibi, Joyce offers a helping hand - but will Catherine take it?

John takes drastic measures to stage Vicky’s murder, while his already-fragile marriage continues to deteriorate. Meanwhile, Ann throws herself into work following her mother’s death, Clare receives some unsettling news from Ryan and Catherine continues to look out for Ilinka, as a development in the human trafficking case comes to a head.

Dazzle
26-08-2016, 09:47
Happy Valley WILL return for series 3 says writer Sally Wainwright

But in the meantime, she's working on an idea for a TV musical

Acclaimed police drama Happy Valley WILL return for a third series, writer Sally Wainwright confirmed today.

Wainwright said that the series – which stars Sarah Lancashire as Sergeant Catherine Cawood – will return for a third run, but not immediately.

Speaking at the Edinburgh Television Festival, Wainwright was asked by her interviewer, former Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies, if her drama would come back following months of speculation among fans over its future.

She said: “It will happen but it will be a little while. I have got some good ideas.”

Up until now Wainwright had declined to confirm whether there would be a third series, saying that she needed to work out where the story would go next.

In the meantime, she's got plenty to keep her busy, eschewing the bleak tone of Happy Valley to work on an idea for a musical for television, although she declined to reveal any more details:

“It’s on the way. It’s an idea I have got for the screen that I am hoping to get away."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-08-25/happy-valley-will-return-for-series-3-says-writer-sally-wainwright

Perdita
23-09-2016, 05:22
Acclaimed BBC1 police drama Happy Valley will not be returning until the end of 2018, executive producer Nicola Shindler revealed today.
Shindler, whose company Red Productions makes the drama, said Happy Valley writer Sally Wainwright is working on another project for BBC1, which partly explains the delay in bringing the show back.
She wouldn’t say what the new drama was, but did reveal at a Broadcasting Press Guild lunch on Wednesday that there were also creative reasons for waiting on a third series of Happy Valley.
Shindler also said that Sarah Lancashire was keen to reprise her role as Sergeant Catherine Cawood despite rumours that she had been unenthusiastic about a return.
“We are working on a new idea for Sally for BBC1 which will be next year so the earliest Happy Valley would be would be towards the end of 2018 I would suspect.
“She won’t write the [Happy Valley] scripts for some time but Sally’s determined to do it, Sarah’s determined to do it.”
Shindler suggested that the third series of Happy Valley would need to wait to allow the character of Ryan to grow up. The young son of Catherine's sister was conceived by a rape perpetrated by the chief villain Royce, played by James Norton.
“Sally is thinking about a story and the story she is thinking about literally needs time. Because if you look at the characters that are left, there is Sarah, there is James Norton and there is a young boy, who the minute he turns into a teenager it becomes a much more interesting story.
"She doesn’t know what the story is yet. She is mulling it in her head but we are thinking about giving it a bit of space in story terms.”

Radio Times

Snagglepus
23-09-2016, 08:35
The young son of Catherine's sister was conceived by a rape perpetrated by the chief villain Royce, played by James Norton.

I thought it was her daughter...

Dazzle
23-09-2016, 08:59
I thought it was her daughter...

It was indeed

lizann
28-10-2021, 20:24
returning for a 3rd final series

lizann
19-01-2022, 18:59
filming has started

flappinfanny
18-12-2022, 23:01
Just been rewatching series 1 again, you forget how brilliant this series was and how amazing Sarah Lancashire and James Norton are. Really looking forward to the new series starting on New Years Day.

lizann
19-12-2022, 01:22
Just been rewatching series 1 again, you forget how brilliant this series was and how amazing Sarah Lancashire and James Norton are. Really looking forward to the new series starting on New Years Day.

series 1 amazing

lizann
16-01-2023, 00:08
what a series, what masterclass acting

Perdita
05-02-2023, 18:37
Excellent series, shame it comes to an end but I know it will be on a massive high. Congratulations to creator, director and all of the cast ... gritty crime drama.. will be missed :(

flappinfanny
06-02-2023, 00:04
Gripping throughout, super tv, if I did have a niggle I would say the end was rushed which was a shame, we could have done with the finale being a 90 minute episode, I just did not want it to end. However standout drama of the year so far, I know only in Feb but something has got to come along pretty darn good to get the same buzz.

What are we going to do with our Sundays now? I know watch "Gold" next week at 9.