PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos Star James Gandolfini Dies suddenly

alan45
20-06-2013, 04:36
James Gandolfini, Sopranos star, dies in Italy aged 51

Gandolfini was the son of a school dinner lady and a bricklayer

James Gandolfini, the US actor best known for his role as a therapy-seeking mob boss in The Sopranos, has died at the age of 51.

Gandolfini died of a possible heart attack while on holiday in Rome, the US HBO TV network told the BBC.

According to TMZ website, New Jersey-born Gandolfini went to Italy to attend a film festival in Sicily.

He won three Emmy awards for his role as Tony Soprano, a mafia boss juggling his criminal career and family life.

"It is with immense sorrow that we report our client James Gandolfini passed away today while on holiday in Rome, Italy," said his managers, Mark Armstrong and Nancy Sanders, in a statement on Wednesday night.

"Our hearts are shattered and we will miss him deeply. He and his family were part of our family for many years and we are all grieving."

'Genius'
HBO also said the star of The Sopranos, which aired on the cable channel from 1999-2007, would be "deeply missed".

"He was a special man, a great talent, but more importantly a gentle and loving person who treated everyone no matter their title or position with equal respect," said its statement.

"He touched so many of us over the years with his humour, his warmth and his humility."

Gandolfini married his second wife, Deborah Lin, in 2008
Gandolfini was born in 1961 in Westwood, New Jersey, to a school dinner lady and a bricklayer-turned-school caretaker, both of Italian background.

He graduated with a degree in communications from New Jersey's Rutgers University.

Then he moved to New York, finding work as a bartender and a club manager.

Gandolfini's acting career took off in 1992 when he landed a part in a Broadway production of A Streetcar Named Desire.

His breakthrough role came a year later playing a mobster in the movie True Romance.

Gandolfini's more recent film credits included In The Loop, Zero Dark Thirty and Killing Them Softly.

He was nominated for a Tony theatre award in 2009 for his role in the Broadway hit God of Carnage.

Gandolfini is survived by his second wife, Deborah Lin, a former model from Hawaii, whom he married in 2008.

He also leaves a son, Michael, from his first marriage to Marcy Wudarski, his former personal assistant. They wed in 1999 and split three years later.

Sopranos creator David Chase said Gandolfini was a "genius".

"He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time," he said. "A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes."

Joe Gannascoli, who played Vito Spatafore on The Sopranos, said he was heartbroken by the news.

In a December 2012 interview with the Associated Press news agency, Gandolfini said he had become an actor to get rid of anger.

"I don't know what exactly I was angry about," he said.

"I try to avoid certain things and certain kinds of violence at this point," he added. "I'm getting older, too. I don't want to be beating people up as much."

lizann
20-06-2013, 20:18
he played one of the best and greatest tv characters ever, thought he was older myself - rip james

tammyy2j
20-06-2013, 22:20
RIP James Gandolfini

Dazzle
21-06-2013, 11:00
So sad to hear of the death of James Gandolfini :(

The Sopranos is my all-time favourite TV show, due in no small part to James Gandolfini's genius, multi-layered performance as Tony Soprano.

What a tragedy.