PDA

View Full Version : New Tricks Series 9

Perdita
11-01-2012, 20:20
Denis Lawson has joined the cast of BBC One crime drama New Tricks.

The hit series follows Detective Superintendent Sandra Pullman (Amanda Redman) and her team of retired ex-cops as they solve the Met's unsolved crimes.

Lawson will replace James Bolam, who announced his departure from the show in September.

His character Steve McAllister is described as "a bundle of energetic optimism" and "the antithesis" of Alun Armstrong's Brian Lane.

"I'm delighted to be joining Amanda, Alun and Dennis [Waterman] on New Tricks," said Lawson. "I've long admired the show and love its ability to be warm, humorous and gritty simultaneously. I'm really looking forward to being part of it."

Executive Producer Richard Burrell added: "Casting a new member of the UCOS team was always going to be an exciting challenge and we are absolutely thrilled that the brilliant Denis Lawson is joining us.

"Denis brings warmth, wit and charm to the character Steve McAllister and is a very welcome addition to the New Tricks family."

Lawson's recent television credits include Holby City, Criminal Justice and Marchlands. He is also known for playing Wedge in the original Star Wars film trilogy.

The ninth 10-part series of New Tricks is currently filming at Pinewood Studios and on location in London. The series will return to BBC One later this year.

Perdita
19-08-2012, 16:57
....... double post

Perdita
19-08-2012, 16:57
Amanda Redman is to quit New Tricks, she has announced.

The actress, who plays Detective Superintendent Sandra Pullman in the police drama, will film one more series before bowing out next summer.

The show was renewed for two more series last year after regularly attracting over 8m viewers.

"I love New Tricks and I have loved playing Sandra - I've got some gritty plotlines - but I feel I have to try something new," Redman told The Mirror.

"And that is why I've decided I am going to film a further eight episodes and then I'll leave. The time's come. After a while, there is a danger of things getting stale."

Of her decision not to quit immediately, she explained: "It wouldn't have been fair on the audience. There is a loyalty to the fans. Our viewing figures are so high, it's only fair to do it properly.

"[The BBC] understand. They know I've been thinking about this for some time. I could have turned around and said I was leaving this year, but I didn't and they respect that."

Redman added that she "can't wait" to tackle new roles, but ruled out appearing in a period drama like Downton Abbey, instead preferring to star in "something new".

She was appointed an MBE in June for her work running a youth drama school, as well as her services to drama and charity.

New Tricks returns to BBC One on Monday, August 27 at 9pm.

Perdita
21-08-2012, 08:46
Monday 3 September
9.00-10.00pm
BBC ONE

The UCOS team reinvestigate the disappearance of PE teacher Jason Bowe after the remains of a body are discovered on the perimeter of the elite public boarding school where he taught.
The investigation couldn’t have come at a worse time for the school, which is preparing to welcome a former pupil, the Rt Hon Geoffrey Parkes MP, for the opening of a new computer centre.

Twenty-five year old Bowe went missing from Peregrine Manor School on the last day of term in June 2007. His disappearance didn’t greatly concern the head teacher Elizabeth Clayton, who saw it as a typical of the lack of commitment displayed by young teachers who move jobs regularly.

The team sense a certain amount of reluctance from the staff to cooperate with their enquiries until they speak to home support worker Helen Hadley, who not only sheds light on Bowe’s time at the school but is also the only person to show any compassion towards him.

Something of a loner as far as his colleagues were concerned, Bowe appears to have got on better with his students, forming close and often inappropriate relationships with several. But could his behaviour have rattled someone enough to kill him?

Perdita
22-08-2012, 08:12
The writers of hit BBC One show New Tricks have responded to criticism from the show's cast, and laughed off claims that the scripts are re-written by the programme's stars.

Actress Amanda Redman claimed that the series had become "more bland", while Dennis Waterman accused some of the writers of "repeating themselves".

The eighth series of New Tricks secured the show's highest ever ratings, but Waterman was critical of the recent output.

"You have to remind yourself that people aren't as stupid as writers think," he told the Radio Times. "But that's the way things are going in the industry. Basically, we all want to move to Copenhagen to get to do some extraordinary television."

Meanwhile, Alun Armstrong claimed that the cast had re-written parts of the script to improve them, "if the writer wasn't around".

Responding to the comments, writer Julian Simpson said: "Wait a second... *smells a rat* if certain actors re-wrote the scripts, how come they don't know the lines better?

"I was going to be writing today, instead I'm just going to hand the actors a pad and pen. I wish I'd learned this 15 years ago."

He continued: "A New Tricks I wrote and directed airs on Monday. I can tell you EXACTLY how much of it the actors wrote: not a f**king comma."

"The following week, Sarah Pinborough's episode is on. I directed that too. Cast contribution to script? Big fat zero.

"I also wrote and directed episode 10 of the new series. How much did the cast change? Are we sensing a pattern here...?"

He also retweeted a joke about the cast: "Dennis Waterman wants to go to Denmark to do some 'extraordinary TV.' You hear that sound? That's the Borgen writers howling with laughter."

Simpson later joked: "As has been widely reported, New Tricks cast members are leaving next series. Guess who's writing their exit eps... *finger guns*."

Fellow writer Lisa Holdsworth suggested that a new storyline on the show could involve "an unfortunate bus crash as they are all driven to the old people's home".

Commenting on the cast outburst, she said: "I'd like to say that it shocked me, but it didn't. W**kers."

New Tricks returns on Monday, August 27 at 9pm on BBC One. A tenth series is already planned for 2013.

N.Fan
22-08-2012, 17:11
I will miss Amanda Redman when she leaves.

Perdita
22-08-2012, 19:44

I shall miss her too, I liked her in this programme

Perdita
22-08-2012, 19:44

I shall miss her too, I liked her in this programme

Perdita
23-08-2012, 08:30
Ep 3/10

Monday 10 September
9.00-10.00pm
BBC ONE

UCOS reinvestigate the suspected suicide of young Foreign Office diplomat Annabel Tilson, who had suffered both a miscarriage the week before her body was found in a frozen London lake and a professional fall from grace, when a government laptop was stolen from her home.
Her profoundly deaf fiancé Eddie and twin sister Minnie believe her death was connected to sensitive information held on the missing computer and blame her FCO boss Peter Hammond for her downfall.

After clashing with Hammond, Pullman warms to the conspiracy theory idea and decides to ignore DAC Strickland’s advice to tread carefully, in order to explore a possible cover up at the Foreign Office

Meanwhile, smitten with Eddie’s interpreter Vera, Gerry decides to learn sign language, with mixed results.

Dutchgirl
27-08-2012, 14:15
I really liked the show and am looking forward to tonights episode. However you should finish when it still loved. But BBC has to scrarch behind the ears as a lot of fine series have eneded. Spooks, Hustle, Dalziel, Lynley. Hope they create some quality not before too long. Waiting with anticipation for Sherlock of course.....and Luther....

Perdita
30-08-2012, 12:46
Monday 17 September
9.00-10.00pm
BBC ONE

The UCOS team’s feathers are ruffled with the arrival of Steve McAndrew, a retired detective from Glasgow. Brought in to help reinvestigate one of his original cases, McAndrew’s policing methods - and personal agenda - certainly raise a few eyebrows.
Seventeen-year-old Georgia Wright went missing in Scotland in 2003 and at the time of the original investigation was presumed dead, a conclusion that neither McAndrew nor Georgia’s family ever accepted and have been haunted by since.

When Georgia’s DNA is found at the scene of a robbery at a petrol station in Clapham proving she is still alive, it is clear that this case is very personal for McAndrew and he is determined to find her with or without the team’s help. But as the team adjust to McAndrew’s approach to the job, they also learn a few tricks from him.

N.Fan
31-08-2012, 16:48
The first episode wasn't quite as good as it usualy is,especially when most of the scene's took place in the office and there was obviously no chance of finding the killer.

Perdita
06-09-2012, 17:08
Monday 24 September
9.00-10.00pm
BBC ONE

When the body of missing computer expert Martin Longthorn turns up in the morgue of a teaching hospital under a false name, Strickland asks the team to look into the case.
Martin worked for the Metropolitan Police and his disappearance caused concern at the time. However, it now appears that Martin died of natural causes, so why was his body hidden – and by whom?

Catherine Green, who went on a blind date with Longthorn the evening he disappeared, tells the team that he left to go to a mysterious work meeting that night. With access to sensitive police information, including the names of undercover officers, and the revelation that Longthorn was in contact with a number of online hackers known as The Roguenet Group, the team are concerned that operations may have been compromised.

Meanwhile, Lane finds it difficult to accept McAndrew as the new UCOS team member and Esther is forced to intervene.

Perdita
13-09-2012, 14:08
Monday 1st October

Two years ago, 16-year-old tennis champion Alice Kemp fell to her death from the balcony of a penthouse apartment after losing a crucial match to great rival Fawn Bramall. Did Alice jump, or was she pushed?
Alice’s mother Victoria seems convinced that her daughter committed suicide, but when UCOS delve deeper into Alice’s world they soon discover several people with motives for her murder, including her coach Nick Hoyle and her agent Anthony Marshall.

McAndrew points out that those with the most to gain were Fawn Bramall and her pushy mother Irina, but it proves impossible to get any information from the shy and subdued Fawn. However, when Pullman realises that Fawn was not in fact Alice’s enemy but her best friend, the truth about Alice’s life and death starts to emerge. Meanwhile, Standing wonders if he did enough to encourage his own daughter’s sporting ambitions and Lane hatches a plan to turn Scampy into a film star.

Perdita
11-10-2012, 13:54
Ep 10/10

Monday 29 October
9.00-10.00pm
BBC ONE

When someone tries to assassinate Stephen Fisher, Strickland calls the UCOS team together asking for their help.
Thirty years ago, when he and Fisher were at Sandhurst together, they were involved in a covert operation on behalf of the security service. A team was assembled to break into the house of a journalist, Simon Bisley, who was believed to have information on IRA arms deals.

With Bisley killed in a hit and run accident shortly after the operation, another member of the team found dead days ago and Fisher now targeted, Strickland believes that someone is out to kill all the original team.