PDA

View Full Version : EE hits all time rataings low!

*JSW*
18-03-2005, 13:40
EastEnders equalled its lowest ever audience last night (Thursday), according to early figures.

The BBC soap pulled in an average of 6.2 million viewers and a 28.4% share of the available audience at 7.30pm, tying with last year's lowest ever ratings but ranking even lower in terms of share.

The ratings disaster was a result of ITV1 deciding to screen an hour-long Emmerdale to mark the soap's 4000th episode. It averaged 8.84 million (42.1%) in the 7pm hour - although enough to triumph, not as convincing a win as the soap has previously managed during head-to-head bouts.

Commenting on the figures, a BBC spokesman said: "This is now a continuing strategy that is being employed by ITV. It is a shame as it simply means the soap fan loses out because the audience becomes split."

I know you have a viewing figures thread WQ but I thought it would be sensible to have another on the main fact of this article- EE lowest ever audience!

Treacle
18-03-2005, 13:42
This is really just a duplicate and might not even be accurate but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt *JSW*...

chance
18-03-2005, 13:49
bet it is true,good on emmerdale,i didnt even bother tuning it at ten to watch ee.

*JSW*
18-03-2005, 13:54
This is really just a duplicate and might not even be accurate but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt *JSW*...
I just thought as EE had their lowest ratings last night. This could be the place to discuss that individual point. WQ, you could merge the 2 that would be an alright solution?

dddMac1
18-03-2005, 14:52
i'm not not suprised Emmerdale won the ratings 6.2million viewers for Eastenders thats the same as last September

Torrie
18-03-2005, 14:59
I'm not really surprised by the figures, but I think a more accurate reflection on both shows would be the viewers reactions afterwards. More people who watch both shows would be inclined to watch Emmerdale as they know they can catch up with EE at 10pm if they have BBC3 or on Sunday if they don't and it means only catching up on half an hour rather than an hour. But it would also be interesting to see how many people wish they hadn't bothered with Emmerdale as I've noticed most people except the die-hard fans have admitted the first half-hour was pretty boring. And I felt that it was quite a strong episode of EE which had a lot of storylines going on - on it's own merit, it didn't really deserve to have so few viewers as it wasn't a bad episode.

Siobhan
18-03-2005, 15:07
It was a good episode and there was a lot going on.. From most comments Emmerdale seem to have disappointed a lot of people.

Soozee
18-03-2005, 18:19
I had an idea that last nights EE was going to be good, i haven't watched it yet as i videoed it due to watching emmerdale. I think partly people would continue to watch emmerdale if they watch both soaps as it was half way through the episode when EE started. if EE had started at the same time i think then it could have been a different outcome. The second half of emmerdale was definately the better bit so could have watched EE for the first half hour then turned over to the good bit of emmerdale.
With the omnibus on sunday though as i haven't seen last night ee yet i'll probably wait till then to see tonights as well as i think new characters or at least good bits of background probably came out last night.

Treacle
18-03-2005, 21:40
It comes of no surprise really these head to heads always leave EE in a mess but it doesn't excuse the fact Emmerdale can't beat it without clashing.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
19-03-2005, 12:29
Walford Queen you disagree with JSW alot don't you LOL. I cannot really belive that the ratings would be low as for me I missed it on Thursday becasue I had a meeting. But I am going to catch up on Sunday!!

callummc
20-03-2005, 02:34
EE has been very poor latley,emmerdale has been improving,i only watched emmerdale as i decided that i was voting with my off button as a punishment to ee for getting rid of dirty den,but to my suprise i found i enjoyed emmerdale and will watch it more often,EE needs to wake up and take notice,the show needs to sort itself out and fast,lets face it if EE has lost it's sparkle,they should try and suprise us more,like the old days by the time i've read the spoilers there's no need to watch,i mean even the spoilers come across as boring and their the best bits,whereas emmerdale are trying to suprise their veiwers ,it's no good saying it'll get better in the future,it's got to improve fast instead of chasing and competing with the other soaps and worrying about what the papers think they should just get on with the job of being the best they can be then maybe everybody will be talking about it ,but saying how good it's gone again.

Siobhan
21-03-2005, 10:52
Does anyone know the ratings for Sunday's repeat of EE? Was it higher than usual???