PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: 'Neighbours' stars thank British fans on UK anniversary

Perdita
27-10-2011, 11:38
Neighbours stars Stefan Dennis and Jackie Woodburne have today paid tribute to the soap's UK fanbase as the show celebrates 25 years on air in Britain.

The long-running Australian serial made its UK debut on Monday, October 27 1986 as it joined BBC One's daytime schedule. Neighbours remained on the BBC until February 2008 when it moved to Channel 5, its current British broadcaster.

Long-serving cast members Dennis and Woodburne have now spoken exclusively to Digital Spy to mark the milestone, thanking UK fans for their continued support.

Dennis, who plays Neighbours' only remaining original character Paul Robinson, commented: "Thank you to all the fans in the UK and who would have thought 25 years on, we would still be doing this? Keep watching and maybe we can outdo Corrie!"

Woodburne, better known as fan favourite Susan Kennedy, addressed fans by saying: "I'd like to say a huge thank you for your continued support of the show. It means so much to all the cast to know that, on the other side of the world, you are watching us and enjoying our stories."

Both stars also shared their experiences of interacting with UK fans as they reflected on their time with the programme.

"I remember years ago when I was staying in London and I was on my way to a nearby milk bar," Dennis explained. "A little old lady walked past me, recognised who I was and then bellowed, 'Paul Robinson, you are a very naughty boy' and slapped me on the arm.

"Very funny at the time and she was obviously pleased with herself that she had put Paul in his place! Now with the advent of new technology such as Facebook, it's fantastic that we can connect with fans so immediately. I recently did a live interview on our Facebook page and the majority of questions were from British fans. Their questions were fantastic and their knowledge of the show was amazing.

"We also had four British fans join us on our Port Douglas shoot who won the Channel 5 competition - they were absolutely delightful."

Woodburne said: "I was recently in London, part pleasure, part work and I'm still amazed at how enthusiastic the UK audience is about the Neighbours. Their loyalty to the characters - they could tell me things about Susan I had long forgotten! It was really touching."

The pair also shared their theories on why Neighbours has proved so successful in the UK.

Dennis explained: "In the beginning, definitely the bright blue sky and its freshness, it was different from what was on offer. It was also the family dynamics and viewers embraced the characters.

"Now 25 years on, we have family dynasties such as the Robinsons, Kennedys, Ramsays that viewers have grown up with. I think it's also great that we bring characters back. In real life, relatives and friends come and go. We recently had Harold return and Mal Kennedy is currently back on air. Paul Robinson ducked out for a while and I'm very glad he returned."

Woodburne concluded: "I think the writers have been successful creating characters that viewers care about and can relate to their circumstances in just a small way - and no matter how dysfunctional in some circumstances, Neighbours is about families, which we're all about."

Outside of the UK, Neighbours is in its 26th year of broadcasting as it premiered in Australia in 1985.

Perdita
31-10-2011, 16:35
Neighbours star Alan Fletcher has revealed that he is "overwhelmed" by the ongoing support of the soap's British fanbase.

Neighbours last week reached its 25th year of airing in the UK as it made its debut on BBC One on October 27, 1986. The Australian show moved over to Channel 5 in February 2008.

Fletcher, better known as Ramsay Street's Karl Kennedy, has now spoken exclusively to Digital Spy to thank British fans of the long-running programme.

"My interaction with UK fans of Neighbours have been some of the happiest of my life," he explained.

"Who wouldn't enjoy travelling the length and breadth of the UK meeting thousands of people who want nothing more than a photo, autograph and the chance to tell you how much they love the show and Dr K? I have a great job!"

Fletcher tours the UK with his indie band The Waiting Room each year. The group also often perform in front of British backpackers in Melbourne.

He continued: "Without the UK fans, I doubt Neighbours would have lasted 25 years. You have always shown me and my band such warmth and dedication I am overwhelmed, and a simple thank you seems inadequate. Please keep watching!"

Meanwhile, asked to name the secret of Neighbours' success, he replied: "I believe Neighbours has been so successful in the UK and around the world because the writers and producers have come up with the perfect formula, which is just the right balance of comedy and drama."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK, and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.