PDA

View Full Version : The Ladies' Paradise

Perdita
17-06-2011, 17:11
Lark Rise To Candleford writer Bill Gallagher has started work on a new drama for BBC One.

The Ladies' Paradise, which is based on a novel by Emile Zola, is set in the 1890s.

It focuses on Denise, a young girl who is made homeless after the death of her father and moves to the city. She begins working at the first ever department store but soon discovers that there is a darker side to the shop.

"This project has been close to my heart for a long time and I'm thrilled to be making it with the BBC," Gallagher said. "The Ladies' Paradise is set at exactly the same time as Lark Rise, but now we're in the city, at a time of great change and upheaval, so the series is exciting and constantly dramatic.

"Like Lark Rise we will explore the lives of a colourful cast of characters struggling to survive and flourish in difficult and dangerous times."

Lark Rise To Candleford was cancelled after four series earlier this year, sparking complaints from fans.

Gallagher has also worked on shows including Clocking Off, The Prisoner and Conviction and recently began work on new BBC drama The Fuse, which will star Christopher Eccleston.

Filming for The Ladies' Paradise is due to begin next summer and it will air in 2013.

This is drama the BBC are just brilliant at, in my opinion :)