PDA

View Full Version : corrie knocked off track

chance
16-03-2005, 15:40
PLOT: Claire was rumoured to be driving a tram
A DRAMATIC Coronation Street storyline about a tram crashing into the Rover's Return has been shelved.

Metrolink bosses have refused to co-operate because it might give the transport system a bad reputation.

The M.E.N. revealed soap bosses were considering the shocking storyline earlier this year.

When the Street's ex-nanny Claire Pea**** applied for a job as a tram driver, rumours were rife on internet message boards that it was to become a reality.

But the plot was shelved after transport bosses said they thought the crash would put the trams in a bad light.

Chris Mulligan, GMPTE's director general, said: "Following an approach from Granada Television, we made it clear that we would find any storyline involving a tram accident questionable.

"Given Metrolink's excellent safety record, we felt that such a sensationalist storyline would be both misleading and detrimental to the image of the network."

The show has denied that the decision was taken because of objections from transport bosses.

A Street spokeswoman claims they scrapped the crash because they had already had two traumatic storylines this year involving Mad Maya burning down the corner shop and Katy Nelson murdering her dad Tommy.

She said: "It was one of the storylines being mooted for the year and it was decided not to pursue it.

"We felt we'd had quite a lot of high-octane drama in the planning block it would have fallen into.

"It was simply a decision by the programme makers to have something more light-hearted instead.

"They decided on Les and Cilla's wedding, which will be no less a high production number."

Cheryl Hubbard from Serco Metrolink, which operates the system, said: "We were concerned because there were safety implications which they were planning to portray in a bad light.

"They contacted us and asked what it was like for our drivers during training, but because they were planning to then have her driving a tram off the viaduct we said if that's going to be the case we weren't happy with it at all.

"I think people in Manchester would also be unhappy about them portraying the specific Manchester tram system in this sort of light."

But Street bosses are still not ruling out reviving the crash as a storyline in the future.

The spokeswoman said: "It has just been put on ice for the time being."

Bad Wolf
16-03-2005, 15:46
good! it sounded awful

Treacle
18-03-2005, 03:34
Excellent news :D

*JSW*
18-03-2005, 09:25
I'm sorry but I never believed it in the first place!

I really don't see why Corrie would want to do it anyway! The storyline would take out an entire side of the street and you'd oose a massive part of Corrie and Corrie history forever. It would undoubtedly cost alot and sounds like it would ill alot of people. And do remeber that it was posted in The Manchester Evening News- the local paper. Thats hardly very mainstream is it!

I don't believe this storyline was ever in the pipeline tbh.

Treacle
18-03-2005, 09:29
They should kill Mike, Jack, Vera, Rita and Betty off.

Debs
18-03-2005, 10:03
They should kill Mike, Jack, Vera, Rita and Betty off.

WHY???????

atomicgem
18-03-2005, 10:16
yes why kill off the oldies? The tram crash seems a bit far fetched, and i didn't know there were any tram lines near coronation street!!!!

Treacle
18-03-2005, 10:23
Kill them off because they're NOT being used effectively enough.

Debs
18-03-2005, 10:37
you cant get rid of old characters like them they are part of what makes the show.

Treacle
18-03-2005, 10:52
They're not because they rarely appear.

Mr_Cellophane
18-03-2005, 11:01
yes why kill off the oldies? The tram crash seems a bit far fetched, and i didn't know there were any tram lines near coronation street!!!!
There is one on the viaduct on the corner shop end of the street. This is where Maya crashed her car. Virtual trams run over this in the opening sequence.
There is another bridge by the Rovers which is visible in the opening credits, but not in the aerial shot.

Treacle
18-03-2005, 11:04
There are still no active trams that really go across it.