PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Karl Kennedy (Alan Fletcher)

Sarabelle
16-03-2005, 12:45
Can someone tell me if he really dies cos everyone is giving different accounts such as he dies but comes back to life. What Happens???!!!

Bad Wolf
16-03-2005, 12:47
he does die, if you want to check go to neighbours.com and look on the aussie spoilers

Genny
16-03-2005, 12:49
That is just terrible! I was looking forward to him and Susan getting back together!

stacyefc
16-03-2005, 12:51
i don't know i read on neighbours.com on the aussie bit that he dies on a country road but then i have read lots of posts saying that he doesn't die

stacyefc
16-03-2005, 12:51
i also read that he has just signed a new contract

Genny
16-03-2005, 12:52
So have I! Guess we just have to wait and see. I really hope he doesn't die.

jenkate
16-03-2005, 12:55
He does die but is brought back to life

Sarabelle
16-03-2005, 12:56
I heard he signed a new contract a couple of months back so that doesnt make sense. I want him and susan back together not horrible,evil, vile izzy

Amz84
16-03-2005, 13:36
mayb somebody who will see the episodes in oz this week what happens to him.

jenkate
16-03-2005, 14:16
This is on the spoiler bit on Erinsborough.com for the end of march spoilers in oz, so karl does live:

This Week in Neighbours:

Monday
While steadily recovering from his heart attack, Karl (Alan Fletcher) tells Izzy (Natalie Bassingthwaighte) he’s not going to put up with her games any longer.
Power mad David pushes Lil to the brink!

Tuesday
Is Lil really planning on leaving David?
Paul offers Dylan (Damien Bodie) the Devil’s deal!
David goes head-to-head with the Timmins clan.

Wednesday
Izzy resumes her affair with Paul (Stefan Dennis), while secretly looking for dirt on him.
Sindi sells her soul to fund Stu’s operation.
Dylan does another job for Paul.
Romance blossoms between Toadie (Ryan Moloney) and Eva.

Thursday
Boyd (Kyal Marsh) decides to quit the gym, but he is about to find himself in trouble at home.
Sindi wins the money for Stu’s eye operation but at a very high price!

Friday
Lyn (Janet Andrewartha) finds that her happiness over her hot new romance is short-lived.
Stu’s change of heart comes too late.
Steph (Carla Bonner) fears for Boyd’s health.

Next Week:

The new Lassiter’s complex is finally unveiled!

Bad Wolf
16-03-2005, 14:28
finally an answer!!

Amz84
16-03-2005, 15:07
at last we know!!

alan45
05-08-2011, 00:05
Neighbours favourites Karl and Susan Kennedy have turbulent times ahead in the coming months as their marriage comes under intense strain once again. Viewers have recently seen Susan start to spend time with seriously-ill Jim Dolan and the situation spirals out of control in forthcoming episodes as her new companion becomes the focus of all her attention, leaving Karl out in the cold and questioning the future of their marriage. The worsening problems between the couple lead to the Kennedys' eldest son Malcolm making a return to the Street, but can he help to save their relationship? Digital Spy recently chatted to Alan Fletcher, who plays Karl, to hear more about the storyline.

You've been filming some intense scenes recently showing Karl and Susan's marriage running into trouble again…
"Yes, Karl and Susan are at a point in their lives where their children are grown up and they are floundering a bit because they are trying to work out what the next phase of their life will be. Karl is very frustrated that Susan's attention is diverting away from him at this crucial point and this will become a matter of great tension as things progress."

Often we've seen Karl's behaviour tearing the Kennedys apart, but this time Susan is at the centre of the problem. Is it refreshing to explore this new dynamic?
"Yes it is, because so often it is easy to fall into cliché when it comes to relationships, and this story is very exciting because it's not something that has been touched on before - in that it's not a story about infidelity, it goes much deeper and is much more about what happens to people in mid-life."

Here in the UK, we've just seen Karl give Susan his blessing over spending some time with Jim. Do you think he had any doubts at that point?
"He is fine with her seeing Jim because he appreciates he is a man without family and he deserves support, but for Karl he also worries that Susan might embrace this opportunity too strongly and get it out of proportion. He feels that supporting Jim should not become the sole occupation of Susan's life and she should be more balanced about the way she is behaving."

As the story progresses, what's the main point of dispute? And who do you think is more to blame - Susan or Karl?
"The main point of dispute is in terms of focus. Karl is very excited about new things with Susan now the children have moved on and they're free to do what they like. However, he sees his wife filling her life up with distractions - caring for Summer, caring for Jim Dolan and he is concerned that she is not prepared to give him the focus that he feels he deserves or their marriage deserves. Who is to blame? I'll let the viewers decide that because like every great story, there is no black and white."

As a doctor, Karl has perhaps been involved in similar sad situations with ill patients. Do you think he can relate to what Susan's going through in some ways?
"He can very much, but it's not just the fact that he himself has had to witness patients who are terminally ill pass away. It's more to do with there being traces of Alex Kinski's death, and that Susan feels that she didn't necessarily support Alex sufficiently in his last days. I think it's Karl knowing that she has unresolved issues here."

Jackie Woodburne said recently that she feared the writers would split up Karl and Susan with this storyline. Did you share the same worries?
"From a professional point of view of course - I've worked with Jackie now for 17 years, we have a wonderful working relationship and I know the audience enjoys our on-screen relationship very much. But in reality, a show like Neighbours will always need to push the boundaries and move in different directions. I think even if Susan and Karl were not together as a married couple, that wouldn't mean that our working relationship would cease and maybe it would lead to some very interesting storylines in the future."

Karl and Susan have become known for great comedy but also great drama. Do you have a preference between the two?
"I do have a preference for the comedy, I have to say. I think Neighbours is a very successful programme because we have a light touch and while we do some wonderful heavy drama, for many fans the hallmark feature of the programme is the comedy. I like the fact that as Karl has grown older, he has become a bit of a duffer and gets up to some silliness and I very much enjoy exploring that."

What's it been like to have Benjie McNair, who plays Malcolm, back on set over the past few weeks?
"It's been absolutely super. One of the other great things about Neighbours is its historical context, particularly for audiences who have watched the show for many years as devoted viewers. They talk to me all the time about the past and their affection for past characters and I know that Benjie is extremely popular with the audience here and in the UK. He is lovely to work with and gives us wonderful fuel for the fire."

We know that Malcolm plays quite a significant role in the storyline, so how does he react to the situation involving his parents?
"Malcolm is deeply concerned, as are Libby and Billy, about the state of his parents' marriage. He is there out of this concern, prompted by Libby. He doesn't react well to the possibility that his parents will split up and does whatever he can to salvage the situation…"

The new doctor Rhys Lawson will be hitting our screens in the UK soon. Does Karl share many scenes with him?
"Karl does share many scenes with him. Karl is quite an arrogant man and certainly has an enormous amount of ego and pride, and facing a new young doctor who is full of enthusiasm and extremely ambitious, can be somewhat galling for Karl. So expect some fun confrontation but also cleverly the writers have explored what Rhys and Karl might have in common."

John Wood has also been cast as Martin Chambers, another new doctor. How does he interact with Karl?
"I'm not sure exactly how the relationship will pan out between Karl and John's character, but I do know that he is a wonderful foil for the Karl and Rhys relationship. We are yet to explore where this will go but it is marvellous to have an actor of John's enormous stature in the industry working on a show like Neighbours, and he is going to bring a lot to the show."

There have been a lot of new castings announced by Neighbours recently, including some real veterans of Aussie drama. Does that make it an exciting time for the show?
"Very much so. Neighbours is at a peak it hasn't enjoyed for quite some time. We are doing massive ratings on Channel 5 and in Australia it is the top-rating digital programme in the entire country - Channel 11 are absolutely thrilled with the results. This fantastic resurgence in Neighbours and the casting of veterans of the industry, such talented actors, is a mark of that and the fact these people want to work on our show is an indication of just how prestigious Neighbours is."

Jackie Woodburne said recently that playing Susan remains a challenge due to the storylines she gets. Is it the same for you with playing Karl?
"Yes it is amazing, isn't it? After 17 years, every week I pick up a batch of scripts and think, 'This is going to be interesting, how am I going to find a way to play this?' The wonderful thing about our show is that you never know what to expect. One day you will be playing high comedy and the next it's high drama, and you're often asked to do things that you wouldn't necessarily expect from the character too - and that is one of the things about the rich tapestry of being an actor which I love so much."

Looking into the long-term, what do you hope the future holds for the Kennedys?
"Well I think whatever happens in terms of the status as a married couple, the Kennedy family will continue to be a central pillar in Neighbours because the audience has indicated to me they love to see us around. I hope we will be able to provide wonderful foils for the other characters and always surprise an audience. I think we should only be here as long as we continue to surprise - you never want to become predictable."

Can you give us one last cryptic teaser on what's next for Karl and Susan?
"Midlife crises occur in many different ways and they occur for both men and women. They begin to question what they want out of life and what direction their life should start taking. Exploring that all makes for great television!"

Perdita
10-12-2015, 10:48
Neighbours legend Alan Fletcher has shared some early hints on next year's storylines with Digital Spy - and it sounds like fans will need to get the tissues ready.

Cast and crew at the long-running soap went off for their annual Christmas break last week, but not before Fletcher filmed some heartbreaking scenes in his role as fan favourite Dr Karl Kennedy. Could there be more tragedy ahead for Ramsay Street's residents?

Now in London for a Neighbours promotional visit, Fletcher told Digital Spy: "There is a massive story coming up, which I am involved with in a certain way.

"Literally on the last day at work before taking our break, I was filming with tears pouring down my cheeks. That story will be out next year and I just know that it's going to have a huge impact on fans."

Fletcher also hinted that Karl may have to do some soul-searching next year - and it might not be a huge surprise to learn that there's a woman involved.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/46/1280x853/gallery-1447158729-soaps-neighbours-w48-ep7251-02.jpg
Susan and Karl are left reeling when Ben confesses to accidentally starting the school fire
© Channel 5
"Karl has a chequered history of being a bit of a bad boy," he explained. "That's pretty much settled down, but there are some females coming into Karl's life that are going to push the boundaries a little bit again.

"It'll make Karl have a little bit of a think about who he is and how he behaves. That's going to be a lot of fun for my character."

Delivering even more good news, Fletcher also revealed that Lyn Scully (Janet Andrewartha) isn't the only familiar face heading back to Ramsay Street in 2016.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/49/1280x1868/gallery-1449267230-janet-andrewartha.jpg
Janet Andrewartha as Lyn Scully in Neighbours
© Rex Shutterstock FremantleMedia Ltd
He said: "It's marvellous having Lyn back on the Street. Janet Andrewartha is one of the best actresses we've ever had on Neighbours. She's fantastic and the quality of her work just shines out when she's on the show. She'll be a major part of Steph's storyline next year.

"Our producer Jason Herbison is very good at knowing which characters would be great to bring back into the show again. The result is that we've had some fantastic characters returning.

"We've actually got another character who has just come back into the show again. I'm not going to tell you who it is because it's too much of a spoiler, but she is very much a big part of Karl's life so it's a terrific story."

Mirjam
11-12-2015, 08:34
Please let it not be Sara again!

Perdita
11-12-2015, 09:00
Sophie Ramsey is to return in February from what I have seen on other sites

TaintedLove
11-12-2015, 20:07
I was hoping it was going to be Izzy. Oh well
:)

Perdita
11-12-2015, 20:28
It might be still ...:)

Perdita
16-12-2015, 04:50
All Neighbours legend Alan Fletcher wants to do his pass UK citizenship test.

Who wouldn't want Dr Karl Kennedy on call around these parts? But Neighbours superfan and part-time citizenship tester Jamie doesn't make it easy for him in this funny new video.

Dr Karl is shocked to discover that Sooty isn't real, and believes that the animals which feature on the Royal coat of arms are a pair of Corgis. Good answer (but it's a lion and a unicorn).

However, although he fails the test, he's given one way to redeem himself. Can he match the rhyming slang?

The video was made to celebrate the news that UK and Australian audiences will be watching the same episodes on the same day from January.

http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/neighbours/news/a777372/neighbours-legend-alan-fletcher-battles-for-uk-citizenship-in-this-fun-new-video/

Perdita
19-12-2015, 04:41
Geordie Shore's Scotty T certainly gets more than he bargained for when he pesters Neighbours star Alan Fletcher for spoilers in an amusing new video.

The Karl Kennedy actor humours the reality TV star by revealing several fake but amusing scenarios, involving several of the Ramsay Street residents.

Scotty T was left gobsmacked to learn that Brad Willis will turn into one of the biggest soap lotharios of all time, seducing Sonya Rebecchi, Sheila Canning and even Aaron Brennan!

https://youtu.be/TvLy_IkewOg

Fletcher continues to use his imagination as he 'reveals' that his on-screen wife Susan will soon be sporting a new image, as well as embarking on some fun of her own.

Scotty T recently filmed a cameo appearance on the Australian soap and his scene - which will see him cross paths with Aaron - will be on screen next year.

And he won't have to rely on the Neighbours stars for spoilers for much longer, as UK and Australian audiences will be watching the same episodes on the same day from January.​

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/50/480x399/gallery-1449617579-cvrtfppwuaa1ee0.jpg
Geordie Shore's Scotty T has filmed a cameo appearance in Neighbours
© Instagram

Neighbours is airing its last episode of the year on Channel 5 today (December 18) and will be back on Monday, January 4, when fans from both sides of the world can watch the drama unfold on the same day.

Perdita
14-01-2016, 11:11
Neighbours fans can breathe a slight sigh of relief - Karl Kennedy is not going to have an affair in 2016. :cheer:

Alan Fletcher recently set tongues wagging when he revealed that there would be females coming into Karl's life who would push the boundaries.​

Karl is known for his ​chequered affair history,​ and Fletcher admitted his past mistakes could come back to haunt him once again.

Speaking to Inside Soap about what his character will learn in 2016, he said: "To be a lot more careful about taking what women say at face value!

"Karl isn't going to have an affair in 2016, but he is not going to do the right thing in terms of what is appropriate in dealing with women as a married man!

"He loves his wife, but Susan says to him, 'Karl, you are a sucker for vulnerable w​omen' - and it's true, he genuinely likes to help people. So he will be manipulated and we will be exploring that."

eni294
19-04-2016, 00:58
WISE WORDS: ‘Neighbours’ Karl Kennedy aka Alan Fletcher On One Spot Of Unfinished Business

The actor has played Doctor Karl Kennedy for 21 years.

‘Neighbours’ fans have recently been left on the edge of their seats, with an explosion devastating Lassiters’ Hotel Complex, a double tragedy leaving the residents of Ramsay Street grief-stricken, and soap stalwart Toadie narrowly escaping death (again).

Once again, Australia’s busiest doctor Karl Kennedy has been left to pick up the pieces, not easy as he is bound to be distracted by the reappearance of his former love Sarah Beaumont. Not something to keep the long marriage of Karl and Susan on an even keel…It’s just another week at the coalface for actor Alan Fletcher, who has played Doctor Karl for 21 years in total. As we recover from one of ‘Neighbours’ most dramatic ever weeks in its 31-year history, Alan talks to HuffPostUK about the lessons he’s learned along the way and what he’d still like to achieve…

Karl Kennedy’s bond with Sarah Beaumont has always caused problems for him and wife Susan

What do you do to switch off from the world?

Play the guitar, simple.

How do you deal with negativity?

From my mother, a spiritualist, she believed in the transmigration of souls, she had a Nietzschean view of the world, which was that anything that comes at you comes for a reason, and you can learn from it. If someone says anything to me that I feel is spectacularly unpleasant, I can feel all the same emotions that anyone would feel, hurt and disappointment, then I can sit back and say, “Well, that has told me to a bit more humble, not to be overinflated about what I do, because there are many people who don’t like it."

When and where are you happiest?

I have this passion for golf. I am often at my happiest on the golf course, at that second when you hit the ball, as hard as you can, and you watch it sail in a straight line and land right next to where you wanted it to. That’s my nearest thing to Zen.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

The best piece of advice I was given was one I ignored, that was, don’t smoke. I ignored it to my peril. I don’t smoke now, but I do sit back sometimes and wonder, How would my life have been if I hadn’t smoked?

What has been the hardest lesson you’ve learned?

Realising I know a lot less than I would like to know. I’m a lot less informed than that. We often express opinions as if they’re fact, and the hardest thing is when someone catches you out on that, and you realise, ‘I’m faking it here.’

What would you tell your 13-year-old self?

Don’t smoke.

Alan Fletcher has played Karl Kennedy, patriarch of one of Ramsay Street’s most popular families, for 21 years

What 3 things are at the top of your to-do list?

Travel more, write more travel blogs and take more photographs.Spend more time playing the guitar, and more proficiently.Study – I’m thinking about going back to university, and studying philosophy and politics. I dropped out of university to take up acting, and then I returned again later, but left again. So it’s unfinished business for me. I’m an amateur philosopher, so it would be great to get a proper grounding. My son is about to go to university and I need to gen up so I can talk to him.It’s not so much racking up achievements as wanting to remain stimulated and stimulating to others.

What do you think happens when we die?

We’re gone. Unfortunately, transmigration of souls is not something I believe in. Obviously, I don’t know definitely what happens, and it always distresses me when people tell me they do, because they can’t offer me any evidence. What I do know is, whatever may happen later on, it doesn’t matter to me now. It would disappoint me to return as a frog, but that’s about it.

When do you feel a sense that we live in the presence of something bigger than ourselves?

When I’m surrounded by nature. I was in Iceland earlier in the year, 3 o clock in the morning, standing on the edge of a glacier, freezing, waiting for Northern Lights. And they came.Places of majesty and size, and also urban landscapes. I marvel equally at engineering, the achievement of which man is capable. I look at aeroplanes and think, every bolt, how did that happen? I think, I’m nothing here, I’m a guy who walks around in a soap opera pretending to be a doctor.

What do you try to bring to your relationships?

To be present, to listen to them. If someone phones me for a beer and a chat, I’m there.

What keeps you grounded?

The kids. They are my major concern in the world. I have two, 18 and 20. When I get home, my life in the house is real, it’s huge and always evolving. It doesn’t matter who you are. I have two dogs too, that’ll do it.

What was the last good deed or act of kindness you received?

There are so many. It’s so easy to forget them, but they’re really important. I lost a smart watch a while ago, and our television station, I did a little bit of publicity for them, and they bought us all an Apple watch. Just on that same day, which was lovely. But it also makes you remember, easy come, easy go.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/wise-words-alan-fletcher-neighbours_uk_5707b7e3e4b045b6729d23fc

Paula_
07-05-2016, 09:59

When was Sophie in? Must have missed her...which episode was she in...would love to see her all grown up now for sure!!

Paula_
07-05-2016, 10:00

When was Sophie in? Must have missed her...which episode was she in...would love to see her all grown up now for sure!!

eni294
07-05-2016, 10:02

I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing Sophie this year. Was that a confirmed spoiler Perdita?

Dazzle
07-05-2016, 14:05

No, Sophie's last appearance was in 2014. There were rumours earlier this year that lots of past characters would appear during the 30th anniversary episodes. I think Sophie Ramsay was one of those rumours - but they weren't true in her case.

Welcome to Soapboards by the way, Paula. :)

eni294
07-05-2016, 14:31
No, Sophie's last appearance was in 2014. There were rumours earlier this year that lots of past characters would appear during the 30th anniversary episodes. I think Sophie Ramsay was one of those rumours - but they weren't true in her case.

Wasn't the 30th Anniversary beginning of last year Dazzle? It seems Perdita meant February this year not last as she posted the spoiler last December.

Maybe Sophie will apear later this year? Its only May. It would be nice to see her. I wonder how she looks like now and what she does?

Paula_
07-05-2016, 17:40

Thanks for the welcome dazzle! Yeah Eni's right, the 30th anniversary episodes're long passed....

Paula_
07-05-2016, 17:40

Thanks for the welcome dazzle! Yeah Eni's right, the 30th anniversary episodes're long passed....

Dazzle
07-05-2016, 18:02

That was a silly mistake lol. I can't believe how fast time flies nowadays... :o

Paula_
07-05-2016, 18:11
That was a silly mistake lol. I can't believe how fast time flies nowadays... :o

Don't worry mistakes happen everywhere....just to be clearwhose mistake are you referring to?

Perdita
19-09-2016, 16:28
Dgital Spy named and shamed Karl as an incompetent soap doctor back in April, which caused such a stir that former Neighbours star Ben Nicholas (Stingray) even confronted Alan Fletcher about it as part of the show's excellent behind-the-scenes Neighbourshood series on YouTube.

Alan was stunned that we were so harsh (sorry!), but it looks like we were right all along. We can reveal that an upcoming storyline will see Karl potentially make another blunder, leading him to realise that his career could be hanging in the balance all over again. What's he done this time?

Digital Spy

Perdita
18-10-2016, 17:41
Neighbours legend Alan Fletcher has revealed the secret story behind Karl Kennedy's dangerous new enemy.

Karl's career as a doctor is currently hanging in the balance after a nurse called Eve Fisher reported him to the hospital board, claiming that he'd committed malpractice.

Eve smelled alcohol on Karl's breath after he returned from his rescue mission at the site of the recent hot air balloon disaster.

Karl had been drinking the night before but didn't hesitate to operate on injured Regan Davis, who later passed away despite his best efforts.

Speaking to All About Soap about the new plot, Alan revealed: "There's an intrigue surrounding this storyline because the viewers will be asking: 'Why is this woman pursuing Karl so strongly?' She seems like a malicious nurse at first, but it turns out there's more to Eve than meets the eye.

"She's very good friends with a surgeon, who was hitting her son. Karl intervened with the situation and subsequently the surgeon was forced to take a leave of absence. Eve is taking revenge on Karl: this is a personal vendetta, not so much a professional one.

"There's a question of malpractice, and this all revolves around what Eve Fisher reported to the board, claiming she smelt alcohol on Karl's breath after he returned from the balloon incident. She said Karl was hazy about what happened, but let's not forget that he was very rattled."

So will Karl be defeated by Eve's sly insinuations and end up giving up his medical career? Maybe he could go back to being a backyard farmer again like he did years ago? Or will he come back fighting?

Alan added: "Once he gets to the bottom of what's going on with Eve Fisher, then he's in a much better position to put things right. When Karl suddenly works out what's going on, he has the opportunity to rebuild the situation."

Digital Spy

Perdita
11-09-2017, 05:24
Neighbours favourite Susan Kennedy fears her husband Karl is up to something seedy next week, as his massages at the Lassiters spa arouse suspicion.

Susan (Jackie Woodburne) starts to worry when Karl keeps disappearing for secret sessions with Courtney Grixti – especially when she discovers that he's been tipping her huge amounts of cash.

Since generosity with money isn't usually in Karl's nature, Susan becomes convinced that something strange is going on – but getting answers out of the cagey doctor isn't easy.

Dipi Rebecchi (Sharon Johal) also finds herself in exactly the same position when Karl recommends Courtney to Shane, which sparks even more rumours about exactly why she's so popular with all of her male clients.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/36/768x512/gallery-soaps-neighbours-1-karl-courtney-suspicionzdxvapodjlqdgluppyli-1-1.jpg
Susan Kennedy and Dipi Rebecchi get suspicious over Karl Kennedy and Courtney Grixti in Neighbours
© CHANNEL 5

In the end, jealous Susan and Dipi even decide to stop sleeping with their husbands for as long as they continue to see Courtney (Emma Lane) for massages, unable to cope with all of the secrecy.

The plot thickens even further when Sheila Canning (Colette Mann) sees half-naked Karl (Alan Fletcher) exit a treatment room holding a box of tissues, leaving her convinced that Courtney is giving the men X-rated massages with "happy endings".

Never one to hold back when it comes to spreading gossip around Ramsay Street, Sheila quickly shares this information with Gary, Terese, Susan and Dipi.

Everyone believes that Sheila is jumping to conclusions at first, but under further investigation, it appears that she might be right.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/30/768x512/gallery-soaps-neighbours-karl-sheila-rivalry-6-1.jpg
Sheila Canning and Karl Kennedy become rivals over the Liveability committee in Neighbours
© CHANNEL 5

Of course, this is squeaky-clean Neighbours we're talking about, so there's sure to be an innocent explanation. But how much damage will Sheila's rumours cause before the truth comes to light?

Neighbours airs these scenes on Monday, September 18 and Tuesday, September 19 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Digital Spy

lizann
21-09-2023, 19:05
is dr karl retired?