PDA

View Full Version : Waking the Dead Series 9

DaVeyWaVey
14-03-2011, 11:15
This returned to our screens last night. Did anyone watch it? Looks like there will be five stories this series, playing out every Sunday/Monday night. It's the final ever series though :(

I have a theory about the conclusion to this week's story which I may post up later :D

That poor policewoman at the end of last night's episode though! She seemed really nice... what a horrible way to go.

parkerman
14-03-2011, 13:19
Yes, I saw it. A promising beginning to the new relationship of equals. Let's hope it progresses in the manner it started.

As for the story otself, quite a disturbing episode. What with that funereal couple and all.

What's your theory, DaVey?

DaVeyWaVey
14-03-2011, 13:44
My theory may be too straightforward and ridiculous but after Boyd watched that videotape and the little girl wished that she didn't want to see doctors any more, my theory is that Donald may have helped his daughter to die and end her suffering. He pays the old couple £100,000 to make it happen. He then feels guilty about helping to end his daughter's life, so he leaves home...whilst he has 'disappeared', he goes to see Denise and she finds out what he's done and murders him.

Denise goes to see his wife and reveals what her husband has done but lies and says he has fleed the country. The wife is devastated and confused. She tracks down the elderly couple, confronts them but the confrontation goes wrong. The wife ends up accidentally killing the both of them (somehow). She panics and phones Denise, and the wife and Denise both hide the bodies. Believing her husband is still alive, the wife is hoping the Cold Case team can track Donald down so he can come back to the family and explain everything.

Though that still doesn't explain how the nurse would be involved in it all...

parkerman
16-03-2011, 11:59
Nice try but no banana. :D

DaVeyWaVey
16-03-2011, 14:19
I didn't think it would be the mum! Did you suspect her at all? What a brilliant story!

parkerman
16-03-2011, 17:42
No, I must admit it fooled me as well. I agree, an excellent start to the last series.

Abigail
16-03-2011, 20:04
I'm going to watch this week's episodes tonight. I saw it advertised on the iplayer the other day.

Perdita
17-03-2011, 15:57
Waking The Dead – Conviction: Part 1 Ep 7/10
Sunday 3 April
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

Karl Barclay, a medical student missing for six years, comes to the attention of the Cold Case team when his DNA matches that of a corpse also found six years ago in Hales reservoir, in the fourth story of the new series of the crime drama. As Eve discovers signs of torture on the corpse, Boyd wants to know why the case hadn't rung alarm bells earlier, and becomes increasingly suspicious that there has been a cover up.

Boyd learns of the family tension that erupted when Karl's evangelical Christian mother, Lisbetta, discovered his conversion to Islam. Meanwhile, Karl's secret stash of Islamic material seems to point to a terror plot. Via her all-knowing ex-colleagues in counter-terrorism, Sarah confirms that Karl was on a watch list.

An increasingly unhinged Lisbetta attacks a member of the public, insisting he killed her son. After Boyd tells Gideon and Jakob that Karl was on the police's watch list – suspected of terrorist activity – Lisbetta admits to Gideon that she "had to stop" Karl...

Monday 4 April
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

Waking The Dead – Conviction: Part 2

The Cold Case Squad consider Karl as a would-be bomber who, backing out of a planned atrocity, was killed by his fellow extremists, as the latest story in the crime drama concludes. However, key forensics indicates that Karl fell to his death from an airplane, pointing to an unpalatable possibility – state murder and cover up.

Aware that Sarah has recently made an official recommendation for Boyd's removal, MI5 manipulate the crippling self-doubt that has dominated Sarah since the operation that left her colleague dead. Meanwhile, she feels a profound guilt for misjudging Boyd – the one person who may be able to redeem her.

As the Cold Case team crack the real identities of the players, they find themselves pitted against an uncompromising and powerful set of adversaries.

JustJodi
17-03-2011, 23:26
I didn't think it would be the mum! Did you suspect her at all? What a brilliant story!

I did not suspect her at first, then the more I thought about the disorder she had, then I thought MAYBE,, BUT IT WAS BRILLIANTLY DONE !!!!

Abigail
18-03-2011, 17:39
Did anybody else find the man and woman in black creepy? They freaked me out, I kept seeing them when I closed my eyes at night and they were in a dream.

I thought the story was very, very dark but brilliantly written and acted. I loved the twist with the mother turning out not to have cancer and being a murdered. Looking forward to see if next week can top these two episodes.

Dazzle
19-03-2011, 21:04
Yes, Abigail, the old couple in funeral garb freaked me out too! They were really creepy.

I was slightly suspicious of the mother because she seemed to have coughing fits at opportune moments during her interviews, and I wondered if she was putting the cancer on. I didn't suspect her of killing her children, though.

A really enjoyable story.

Abigail
20-03-2011, 20:03
I was slightly suspicious of the mother because she seemed to have coughing fits at opportune moments during her interviews, and I wondered if she was putting the cancer on. I didn't suspect her of killing her children, though.

Yes, thinking back she did. I guess it gave her time to come up with a convincing excuse.

Looking forward to tonight's episode.

DaVeyWaVey
21-03-2011, 00:59
I have a bit of a theory... the woman doctor who went over the balcony... I think she's not Abigail's sister but she's actually her mother. Grace mentioned the 15 year age gap between them at the beginning and I think that was foreshadowing this.

And I believe that's why the woman doctor (I forgot her name!) went off the rails and had a breakdown. She became pregnant at a young age and her family kept her locked away, so nobody would find out about the pregnancy. They were ashamed of what had happened so they hide her away from everyone. She gives birth and the family take Abigail off her and tell her she can't be a mother, but must act as if she's her sister instead. The story of her getting involved with "the wrong crowd" seemed like such a big lie.

As for the bagman...I'm thinking that the guy who kidnapped Claire at the care home was probably protecting her from being pimped out. The guy knew what was going on at the care home and chose to take Claire away with the hope of a better life. The man in charge of the care home obviously tries to catch up with them as he wants to keep Claire to pimp her out. He runs him over, they both struggle and the guy murders the man in charge and takes his eyes out afterwards - to stop him from "seeing" children. He sees the eyes as the horrible part of the human body, as the man in charge used his eyes to seek out the children he was going to harm.

Years later, Claire begins to have memories of what happened (as she witnessed the murder) She gets to know one of her clients really well. It turns out it was the man who helped her out of the care home and he's angry that she hasn't made a better life for herself. She really grew to like this guy, but then remembers it was him who killed the boss guy. That's why she's upset just before she is killed. Claire and the man fight. He's angry with her for not making a better life, she's angry with him because of what he did - what she witnessed has haunted her for her whole life. They fight. The man then kills her and takes her eyes out, because she had "seen" what he did and she couldn't "see" the better life she could have made for herself.

My theory does have loads of holes, like where does the bagman fit into it? And how are Claire and Abigail/the doctor linked?

JustJodi
21-03-2011, 02:07
@Davy.. ok who in the present could be the BAG MAN ???I agree with the theory about the Dr being Abigail's mom,,that crossed my mind as well..I have a problem with the 2 brothers and the Mother... those 3 are thick as thieves and secretive and lying thru their teeth..I wonder if the Bag Man might be the dad ?? Ok what about the current dude running the care home?? Something about him is just way too creepy,, what about the guy who put the lady in the hospital with the broken jaw ??? What about the kid that has gone missing,, David Drew ??? Spence says he was off the radar since 1989 so..could he be in the mix with the present bunch ???this story line has loads of TWISTS and Turns ..

Abigail
21-03-2011, 11:07
I have a bit of a theory... the woman doctor who went over the balcony... I think she's not Abigail's sister but she's actually her mother. Grace mentioned the 15 year age gap between them at the beginning and I think that was foreshadowing this.

I haven't watched last night's episode yet. I got this email and I was like WTF? My mother isn't my sister. :p

DaVeyWaVey
21-03-2011, 12:04
@Davy.. ok who in the present could be the BAG MAN ???I agree with the theory about the Dr being Abigail's mom,,that crossed my mind as well..I have a problem with the 2 brothers and the Mother... those 3 are thick as thieves and secretive and lying thru their teeth..I wonder if the Bag Man might be the dad ?? Ok what about the current dude running the care home?? Something about him is just way too creepy,, what about the guy who put the lady in the hospital with the broken jaw ??? What about the kid that has gone missing,, David Drew ??? Spence says he was off the radar since 1989 so..could he be in the mix with the present bunch ???this story line has loads of TWISTS and Turns ..

I agree that the two brothers and mother are lying about something. The dad could be the Bag man, but I think they've made too much of a big deal at keeping him at the sidelines, so it would be too obvious if it was him...Could David Drew be one of the brothers - the guy that plays Michael Moon in EastEnders? The family could have adopted him from the home or bought him from the home or something illegally, hence why there's no record of him... then David Drew (the brother) could be the bagman because of what he suffered as a child.. he was the one who was locked in a room with a bag over his head when he was five.

There are so many possibilities! Like you say, loads of twists and turns...

I had trouble sleeping last night as I kept picturing the Bag Man whenever I shut my eyes... really creepy.

DaVeyWaVey
22-03-2011, 01:33
Bloody brilliant conclusion tonight! Loved Boyd's tactic at the end to save Abigail - suffocate the mother :D

Sarah is an enigma - will we find out more about her in the next couple of stories I wonder?

Perdita
24-03-2011, 13:49
Waking The Dead – Waterloo: Part 1

Sunday 10 April
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

Boyd is informed he will be moved out of the Cold Case Unit, in the penultimate episode of the crime drama. As his last case, he chooses to re-investigate the first case he worked on: the disappearance of 16 homeless teenage boys between 1979 and 1982.

The boys were taken at precise three-month intervals, suggesting their disappearance was the work of a sociopath. However, the team have no new leads. Grace puts it to Boyd that his choice to take this as his last case, so close to his heart yet almost certainly unsolvable, is some desperate form of displacement: he still hasn't properly grieved for his dead son, Luke.

When the team learn of the road death of a teenage boy in 1982 on the M11, they close in on the abductor's horrific lair – an underground torture chamber. Eve sets to work and discovers the dismembered corpses of all the missing boys and the team's first lead: the gun used to execute them was also used in the killing of Stanley Heath, a police officer, in 1959.

Boyd interrogates the officer's son, Jason, and learns that his father carried a terrible secret – the murder of a man in custody. Of particular interest to the team, the man in question was father to the current Assistant Chief Commissioner, Tony Nicholson. And Nicholson, as a young PC many years ago, collared a man attempting to abduct a homeless boy in Soho ... but let him go.

A guilt-ridden Sarah decides to follow Nicholson to learn more of his interest in the case, in a desperate attempt to atone for her role in Boyd's sacking. With Boyd more isolated and reckless than ever, the team uncovers a staggering secret from the past, which finds them playing a chess game for their lives...

Perdita
24-03-2011, 13:50
Waking The Dead – Waterloo: Part 2
Monday 11 April
9.00-10.00pm BBC ONE

In the final ever episode of Waking The Dead, Boyd returns to the torture chamber to find Nicholson is already there – grimly accepting that he indeed let the killer go all those years ago. Nicholson thinks Jason Heath is the culprit, but Grace is not convinced.

As the investigation continues, Sarah has gone astray and the team are forced to report her missing. When Sarah's abandoned car is discovered her disappearance causes increasing concern for her welfare.

Nicholson tells Boyd to stay focused on the M11 murders – he'll deal with Sarah's disappearance. The team grow ever more suspicious of him, and Grace joins Spencer and Boyd at Boyd's house to discuss Nicholson's involvement, while Eve starts processing Sarah's car. They know Nicholson's protecting the killer, but can't understand why.

Eve contacts Boyd about a blood sample in Sarah's car, but Nicholson seems to be constantly one step ahead of them as the sample disappears before Eve can test it. Nicholson tells Boyd his investigation has failed. He offers Boyd his job back if he frames Jason Heath for the murder of his father. Boyd plays along; but just as the team is making headway a murdered body is found at Boyd's home and he is arrested. Does Boyd have any more moves available against this deadliest of foes? And who is the new victim in this devastating final case?