PDA

View Full Version : Karen David (Francesca Montoya) Waterloo Road Interview

alan45
09-03-2011, 00:07
Waterloo Road's sultry Spanish teacher Francesca Montoya has been brought to the forefront of the BBC drama in recent weeks after embarking on a clandestine relationship with pupil Jonah Kirby. Recent episodes have seen the loved-up pair play with fire while letting their passions get the better of them, but they have so far managed to keep their romance under wraps. However, as the final episodes of series six air in the coming weeks, things look set to get a lot more complicated… DS recently chatted to Karen David - who plays Cesca - to hear her thoughts on the storyline.

What was the Cesca and Jonah storyline like to film?
"I think, as an actor, you just dream of a storyline like this as it's something that is daring and taking risks. I say this endearingly, but it was emotionally exhausting to play Cesca because there's so many different sides to her and so much that she goes through in the storylines to come - it was one big rollercoaster ride. I was just so excited and also really nervous about this storyline, but for all the right reasons - I knew that it was going to be one great story to tell, so as an actor you just think, 'Wow! I'm really lucky to be given this!'"

When you took on the role of Cesca, did you always know that this storyline was on the way?
"For the first ten episodes, I didn't - they only told us when we came back after that following a break. At that point, my jaw was definitely on the floor - I was like, 'Really?' My pulse was racing! A lot of things were going through my head and I knew there'd be a huge reaction to it, but that is essentially what the BBC wanted. They wanted to tackle a topical issue as there have been real-life cases of student-teacher relationships. The storyline also hits on some really relatable feelings, such as not being able to help who you fall in love with. Myself and Lucien, who plays Jonah, had separate meetings about it, and afterwards we just gave each other a big hug and said that we'd have fun with it, we were a team now and we'd give it our best shot to tell the story as best we could."

What do you think sparked the initial attraction for Cesca and Jonah?
"Well, people have asked about the first ten episodes and why they didn't notice each other in the beginning, but I think that was about Cesca settling into Waterloo Road life, and the same with Jonah as he was a new student at the school. But then I think it was the dog incident in episode 11 which really started to set things in motion."

For Cesca, what's the main attraction of Jonah?
"Cesca finds Jonah to be very mature - he's very mature for his age and Cesca doesn't stand a chance in that sense, because Jonah is on a mission. He's mature enough to make his feelings very clear and very known to Cesca about what he wants, and that would normally come from an older man with a bit more life experience. This really rattles Cesca - he is only 17 but he seems to be so worldly-wise. Also, if you see them together outside of the school when he's not in uniform, it looks normal - they look like a cute loved-up couple. And let's not forget that he is of legal age - Jonah is 17 and Cesca is 26. But she has broken the boundaries of student-teacher conduct and trust, and that's not right. So it's a real catch-22 with what I feel about the storyline."

Does Cesca love Jonah, or are her feelings not that strong yet?
"Well, I think that Jonah has really shaken up Cesca's life in that sense, because she sees that this could actually be a lot more serious - it's not a fling. I mean, if it's just a fling, it's not worth the risk for both of them, and especially for Cesca because she could lose her job. So I think that what scares Cesca is that it's so much more than just a fling and that Jonah could be the one for her. So she's been trying to follow her head and spend time with Tom, because she's hoped that might put things into perspective because he's an older man and not a student. So it's really tricky and I do not envy Cesca's position at all! But I felt really lucky to be working with two great actors and the hunks of the show!"

Some fans have been rooting for Cesca to choose Tom, haven't they?
"Yes, it's been a really even split and I'm always interested to see what the fans are thinking. There's a lot of love out there for Cesca and Jonah, despite the sticky situation that they're in. But then there's also a lot of people who like Cesca and Tom together, because Tom hasn't had a true love in a long time. Even my mum was sitting on the fence and couldn't choose between them!"

What was Lucien like to work with?
"Lucien is so wonderfully cheeky and fun! I think that if I was 17 and working with Lucien, I'd probably be so scared and nervous because he's very handsome and very talented. He's 18 now but he was 17 when we were filming, and sometimes I'd forget that he was 17. He can act the role of Jonah so well as a mature young man, that even I'd forget. But I'm happy that, being a little bit older than Lucien, I was able to step back from all that and say that we'd have such a good time and a lot of fun doing the storyline. And that's exactly what we did."

Waterloo Road recently won the 'Best Drama' prize at the NTAs - why do you think it's proved so successful?
"I think it's because the BBC and [production company] Shed are really good at dealing with and talking about topical issues, which all people can relate to. Waterloo Road has such a wide demographic - a huge age range and fanbase. And I think that, for teenagers, if they're too scared to talk to their friends and parents about something, they only have to tune into an episode and see someone going through the same thing. I get a lot of fan mail from people who say that after watching an episode of Waterloo Road, they feel cheered up because they can relate to it."

What's next for Cesca and Jonah?
"Each episode from now until the end of the series is just going to be boom, boom, boom, boom! It's going to be escalating higher and higher, getting more complicated and very sticky…":sick:

Along with Lucien, who plays Jonah, is there anyone else who you particularly enjoyed working with at Waterloo Road?
"Oh, I'm so spoiled for choice here because I've loved working with all of them. In episode six, I had so much fun working with Darcy Isa and Holly Kenny, doing the drugs storyline. Amanda Burton is amazing to work opposite - she's such a well-respected actor and I loved her work on Silent Witness. A lot of my early scenes were with her and it was great to work with someone who is so seasoned and so amazing. And I absolutely adore Philip Martin Brown - he's so much fun to work with and we're dear friends. But the whole cast and crew were great to work with - it was a great family to be a part of."

You've become really connected to the Waterloo Road fans by taking part in podcasts, posting on Twitter and doing Twitcams. Do you think it's important to stay in touch with your fanbase in that way?
"Well, I think that Waterloo Road fans are some of the nicest fans that I've ever met or had the chance to engage with. They're so incredibly supportive and I think that's a reflection of the show and the people who are in it, because the whole team is so lovely. It was probably one of the nicest and most down-to-earth cast and crews that I've ever worked with. And the fans are exactly the same way - there's so much love and support for every single character on the show, and they also support things that we do outside of the show. I'm grateful for that, because at the end of the day, it's your fanbase who are there for you and give you the strength to carry on with the crazy journey that we're on. They're like a cheering squad, and what an amazing cheering squad to have!"

As you joined Waterloo Road in series six, how did you find the experience of joining an established show with an established cast?
"I was so excited! I'd just done The Colour of Magic and Scorpion King 2, and all of a sudden Hollywood was calling and doors for me were opening over there. But I felt that I'd skipped a really essential part that I'd so wanted to do, which is prime-time British television. So when Waterloo Road came up, I just thought that Cesca was a gift of a role and I'd be mad not to do it. I have so much love for the show and it was just great to be part of such a great cast, crew and team of people at the BBC. The show has opened a lot of doors for me and I couldn't ask for a better show to break through with on British TV."

How's everything going with your music at the moment?
"I've been in LA and it's been difficult to be away from home, but I've been busy in the studio writing for my new concept called 'The Girl In The Pink Glasses'. The project is very much about marrying my love for acting with my love for music, without it being theatrical. It's celebrating that awkward teenage stage that I went through - I had a horrific acne problem and I hid behind my hair, stared at the floor and wore these ridiculous pink speckled rim glasses, and I was the mysterious freak because I never talked about what I wanted to do with my childhood dreams.

"So I've taken all of those kinds of things and put it into 'The Girl In The Pink Glasses'. She's under the disguise of a '60s agent, like in the movies you see with Grace Kelly and Ava Gardner. So it's the trenchcoat, the fishnets, the wig and the pink glasses. And the music is pop-rock - sort of Blondie meets Gorillaz with a bit of '60s elevator music thrown in! I'm really excited about it - I've been working so hard in LA and I now have an album's worth of material. I've been asking fans to get involved by helping me to choose what my next single should be."

Do you have a preference between music and acting, or do you enjoy both equally?
"I've always wanted to do both, ever since I was a little girl. I have a sister who's ten years older than me, so when she was babysitting me, I had to listen to the music she did and watch the TV shows that she did. So, for a 4-year-old, I thought I was pretty cool because I was listening to Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet! One day we sat down and we watched Xanadu together, and I fell in love with all things Olivia Newton-John. It was from that moment that I was so bitten and I just had to act in TV and films like her, and I had to sing and make records like her!

"So that's where it all started, and I made sure that I studied diligently with my music and my acting. I made sure that I paid my dues on both and slaved away for both of them! It's really nice that new fans are now getting to know me, Googling me and picking up on tracks that I released years ago when I was with BMG. I'm really excited to be doing both music and acting - I think they feed me both creatively and I think I'm a better songwriter because of my acting, because I love telling stories in my music. Because of the lyrics, I think the music has a real heartbeat and I think that comes from being an actor."

We've also heard that you're about to do some acting with Robert De Niro…
"Yes, I am! I have a cameo in the next Robert De Niro film called Red Lights. I play Donna, who's an investigative journalist. It's only a few scenes, but my scenes are with him and I'd be mad not to take the chance and the opportunity to learn from the best again. You've got to start somewhere when you're starting to do these bigger movies, and I just feel really lucky to have the opportunity to learn from people like Robert De Niro! I hope it will lead to many more."

What would be a dream role for you?
"As an actor, you always want to play a role that is so far from you, like Charlise Theron in Monster, or Halle Berry in Monster's Ball. Something like that, which stretches you into a complete opposite, would just be so exciting and wonderfully scary at the same time because you know you've got your work cut out for you."

What other projects are you working on at the moment?
"I'm also currently on Pixelface, which is a comedy series on CBBC. It's for the big kids as well and it's produced by Graham Norton's So Television. It's about these six video game characters who live inside a games console and how they moan about each other and their human game controller. It's so funny, crazy funny! I play Alexia who's a really posh archaeologist and mummy slayer. It's a lot of fun and I think that fans who love Red Dwarf will love it. It's on CBBC at 5.45pm on Wednesdays and then on Saturdays, so I've warned all the fans that they're going to have to put up with my face on TV three times a week!

"But it's nice for them to see me play something completely different at 5.45pm on Wednesday night, and then a couple of hours later as Cesca on Waterloo Road. As for what's next, I've got the De Niro project and then who knows? Let's see where this crazy journey takes me! It pays the bills, it's a lovely day job to have and I'm very thankful for all of the support that I have from all of the Waterloo Road fans because they've been super."

DS

Perdita
09-04-2011, 12:06
In the final episode of Waterloo Road's sixth series on Wednesday night, the Cesca and Jonah storyline reached its dramatic conclusion as the couple raced to tie the knot at Gretna Green. After exchanging their vows and being pronounced husband and wife, the pair faced the consequences of their defiance as Cesca was taken into custody for breaking her bail conditions - leaving fans to wonder whether she would be separated from her lover for a long time to come. Karen David, who played Cesca, recently had a chat with Digital Spy to offer her final thoughts on the popular plotline.

Were you pleased with the ending to the Cesca and Jonah storyline?
"Well if you ask me that as an ordinary fan of the show, it kind of breaks my heart that Cesca and Jonah are torn apart because she's been arrested. They've just got married, they're in love, they're happy, it's a euphoric moment and I think everyone can see that the love they have for each other is genuine and it's not a fling. They really, really do love each other and they're meant to be together. So what's supposed to be the happiest moment in any bride or groom's life has been turned to tragedy because she's been taken away in a police car and they're separated. We don't know how long they'll be separated for and we don't know what's going to happen now. So that was really sad."

As we saw the pair marry but also saw Cesca arrested, do you think it was almost difficult to tell whether it was a happy or sad ending for them?
"I think it was bittersweet. Speaking as Karen and stepping out of the whole thing, Jonah is of legal age and so she hasn't broken the rules there, but she has broken the rules of student-teacher conduct. Although I think anyone who's watched the storyline will know that Jonah is the one who's been instigating everything - he was after Cesca and she didn't stand a chance, really! Also, he was just so perfect to her that it was almost impossible for her to say no. I'm just so glad that I'm not in that position, because it's a really difficult one, because yes she is breaking the law and there are consequences for that."

Are you glad that Cesca faced the consequences of what she'd done?
"I have to applaud Waterloo Road for that because they are following conduct - it isn't some fantasy world where it's okay. They've kept it really true to life by having her arrested. Whether or not she gets prosecuted, we don't know - she has to go to trial. Fans are writing into my Facebook wall saying, 'Please tell me it's going to be okay', but even I don't know! They've left it up in the air for us all to wonder what's going to happen to Cesca."

Do you think there was a message or moral in the storyline, or was it left to the viewers to make up their own minds?
"I think there was a bit of everything in there. They've left it for us to decide what's going to happen with Cesca and everyone can paint their own happy endings, or maybe not! But at the same time, I know that they wanted to send out a very strong message out there that student-teacher relationships are against the law and that they shouldn't happen. That's an important message that needs to come across, and the storyline definitely wasn't out there to influence people by giving them any ideas, because it's not right. But at the same time, they wanted to also show that in this case it was real love, it was genuine and there was nothing fabricated about it. They really did love each other."

If Cesca was prosecuted, would she have any regrets?
"Cesca's a very passionate person - she's passionate about her love, her life, her family and friends. I don't think she'd have any regrets. And she did say to him at the end that there were no regrets, because she wears her heart on her sleeve and she follows her heart. I can relate to all of this - following your heart is definitely the tougher path in life. It's not easy to follow your heart, but it's a decision that you can look back on and say that you have absolutely no regrets over because you've lived your life truthfully. Cesca is like that - she'd do it over again because she loves Jonah."

We've now seen your final scenes, but do you know whether Cesca and Jonah will be mentioned in the next series?
"I don't know - people have been asking me this and I'm just as curious about that as everyone else! They might talk about it at least, but I don't know."

The online spinoff Waterloo Road Reunited has given fans an insight into the lives of characters who have left the main show. Would you ever consider an appearance in that to give the viewers some closure?
"I think I'd have to consider it and it would depend on whether Lucien wanted to do it too. I know that the fans are desperate to know what happens, so it almost seems natural to do that. Waterloo Road Reunited is there to address what's happened to past characters, so it only seems natural to do it with Cesca and Jonah because everyone wants to know whether she has a boy or a girl, are they okay and what happens next. Some fans have been suggesting that Cesca and Jonah could have their own spinoff show! I'm very honoured. But I think it could be one of those things where you don't know what happens and that makes it more haunting. But we'll see."

Was it an emotional experience to watch the final episode back on Wednesday night?
"I had seen the episode before it went out, but my DVD was skipping so there were some scenes that I hadn't watched. Watching the final episode as it aired was emotional because we finished filming it a year ago and it's only just hit me that it's really all done and dusted now. Cesca has been laid to rest and it's kind of a weird feeling! I'm so used to seeing her every Wednesday, but now it's like, 'Oh God, it's all done'!"

How did the reaction to the Cesca and Jonah storyline differ to what you'd expected?
"I really thought that there'd be a huge backlash and I thought that a lot of the fans would absolutely hate me, especially as Lucien is quite a charming and good-looking fella! I thought that there would be more angst about it, but in fact it's been the complete opposite. Everyone has shown so much love and support for the storyline because they love it for what it is - it makes good television. I think they can also clearly see that this love and affection that they have for each other is genuine and it's not a fling. I think people really like Cesca and Jonah as a couple and they could really see the yearning and longing there was between them."

What was it like to film the wedding scenes?
"It felt a bit surreal! We went to Gretna Green to film it, so we had to all drive down there and stay overnight, so they put us up in some gorgeous rooms in a really beautiful hotel. It felt like I was actually on my honeymoon, which is really strange! When we went to the place where we had the wedding, there was catering for our lunch that was put on by the hotel. We were all outside on a really sunny day and we all laughed because it felt like a real reception! All of the crew and everyone were there, but it just felt so real!"

Did you have any input into the choice of Cesca's wedding dress?
"Yes, my mum was visiting me from Canada and we went to look at wedding gowns with Darren Finch, the costume designer. We were getting so excited trying on dresses, so again I had to say, 'Hang on - this isn't real!' It was fun to try on wedding dresses because I hadn't done that before, but it was surreal! Darren is so amazing to work with and I think it really helped that we were on the same page. When we were looking at dresses, we didn't want anything too over the top, we wanted something really simple but sweet - nothing too daring. In light of the storyline, we couldn't make it too sexy so we decided to make it something classic. It went down a storm and everyone was really happy with it."

What was the final scene you filmed for Waterloo Road?
"Because we shot out of sequence, it was the stairwell scene in episode 19, where Marcus pulls Jonah away from Cesca and I had that big crying fest. It was very easy for me to cry so much, because I had such an amazing time there and I had to say goodbye to everyone. I was going to miss playing Cesca too, so I thought that I'd really have fun with it and make her bawl her eyes out."

Can you name a favourite episode or any standout moments for Cesca?
"Some of my favourite moments have to be in episode one, where Cesca makes her debut - she's making a Spanish omelette and all of the male students are completely in awe of her! The teachers were all kind of saying, 'Hmm, this one might be trouble!', so that scene in the cooking class was really fun. I also loved working with Amanda Burton, especially that stand-off in episode six during the drug bust storyline. That was a really favourite ep of mine because you could really start to see a lot of feistiness with Cesca.

"I enjoyed the stairwell scene that I just mentioned, because that showed Cesca in a whole other light, as well as the marriage scenes and her having to go into the police car at the end. Those scenes were really challenging, and as an actor, you want to do scenes that push you. I hope that I was able to portray those really sensitive scenes in a genuine way. I also had some really nice moments with Tom. There are so many scenes that I will always remember!"

Did you know all of the twists in the story in advance, or did things like the pregnancy come as a surprise to you when you received the scripts?
"I only knew about the pregnancy about a week before we started shooting it. We were already filming and I knew about the Jonah and Cesca storyline, but they threw that in afterwards and I was like, 'Is there anything else you want to add in here?!' (laughs) It was quite funny, because I thought the storyline was already quite full-on, but of course we also had the baby twist. In hindsight, I'm really glad they did do that because it added so much weight to what they were going through. It was one thing that they had to keep the relationship under wraps, but on top of that she got pregnant and on top of that, it all comes out and she gets arrested! It was one thing after another!"

Will you be staying in touch with anyone in particular from Waterloo Road?
"We all stay in touch with each other. It's a bit harder with those who live up in Manchester because I'm in London, but we all text and Facebook each other. For the gang who are close to London, it's much easier for us to get together and hang out."

You're still on Pixelface on CBBC…
"Yes, I'm still on Pixelface every Wednesday until mid-July. It's produced by Graham Norton's TV company, it's set in the video gaming world and it's about these six video game characters who live in a gaming console, showing how they moan about each other and the human game controllers. It's on CBBC but on a later time at 5.45pm, there's no kids in it at all and it's very much for big kids. I think fans of Red Dwarf are loving it and I can totally see it becoming one of those cult shows. It's very, very funny and I wonder whether some of the humour is more suited to adults, but the kids love it too and it's good for a laugh."

The last time we chatted, you were about to film scenes for the De Niro movie Red Lights. How did it all go?
"That all went well! I just had a cameo, but my scenes were with Robert De Niro and that was amazing to do. Fingers crossed - when you take a punt at these things, you just hope that most of your scenes stay in the movie! We'll see, but it was a really great experience and he was lovely."

What's next for you?
"I'd like to do some more films, and I love shows like Mad Men, Brothers and Sisters and Boardwalk Empire and I think that it would be so great to do something like that. Also some of the other shows I'm seeing like Spooks, I'd love to do something like that for the BBC. It would just be amazing. Let's see - this chapter with Waterloo Road has come to a wonderful close, and I just hope and pray that more doors will open and that there'll be more great roles to come! At the end of the day, as an actor you just want to tell great stories, so if I should be so lucky, that would be amazing."