PDA

View Full Version : Shelley And Charlie

Pages : [1] 2

Jade
11-06-2005, 13:44
I think Corrie are doing an excellent job with this. The storyline is so realistic and over a long period of time, which makes it more real. Shellys character has changed so much but only gradually and people are just starting to notice how much.

The storyline has built up from just nigglie things like what she is wearing to Shelly becoming an agrrephobic (sp?).

Hopefully Charlie will get his commupance, but not every story has a happy ending.

If it helps just one person to escape from this type of situation it will be worth it. It will also help family members recognise signs of emotional abuse.

Congratualtions to the writers and actors involved in this, they are doing an excellent job!

Bad Wolf
11-06-2005, 13:53
I couldn't agree more, the fact they are playing this out over a long period (in soap time) makes this real to viewers, hopefully they will be able to recognise the different situations Shelly and her extended circle of friends have found themselves in, such as Shelly’s relationship with Sunita and her mother, or lack of it at the moment, and Charlie’s increasing hold over her.

Domestic violence is not just a case of one person hitting the other, it covers a variety of circumstances, such as the emotional abuse Shelly is currently suffering. Sadly things are going to get worse for Shelly as the story progresses, but as we know Bill Ward who plays Charlie is leaving and hopefully this will prove to be a good thing for Shelly.

If you do know anyone who is going thorough similar situation be it a friend, family member or yourself, you can talk to our agony aunt, Aunt Sally in confidence, who can provide advice and contact numbers of organisations who can help.

Treacle
11-06-2005, 14:39
I'm not keen on the storyline because it's boring. It is acted good and I believe in what's happened but I'm not really interested. Like you say it goes on enough in real life without having it on a programme that's supposed to entertain and not depress. I know you could then turn around and say the same thing about abuse storylines where the woman gets beaten up but I prefer those ones because a lot more can happen in that situation. At the moment I just think Shelley is being pathetic. Peter done enough to damage her to make her become an agraphobic but she didn't she just punched him and got on with her life so Charlie telling her she's fat should be a doddle to her!

Bad Wolf
11-06-2005, 14:49
please let us know what you all think of this and the issues it brings up,

we are also kee to know what you think of other "real" issues and stories that are coverered in corrie, for example, do you aspire to be on tv like Candice, have you been involved with an older man like Katy?

we really want your opinions on things like this in order to help members who are in similar situations

don't forget Aunt Sally is also here should you need her!

Treacle
11-06-2005, 14:51
Like I say Rach I believe the situation so it's been done very good in that respect but I'm just not interested in it. Atm though that and the Danny/Leanne storyline is the best they have going.

melmarshall858
11-06-2005, 22:53
i agree it is important to raise issues like this one as it is mirrered in everyday life to so many people but also agree that the novelty does wear off after a few months i understand why it has been dragged out for so long but that doesn't make it any easier for us to enjoy a storyline that drags on for so long i loose interest in what is going to happen after the first few months and stop caring.
hope that they do wrap it up in some way soon -although i can't see how they are going to do it shelley will never come to her senses no matter how many people know what he is doing she s too besotted and he is too clever to do anything to her apart from the mental torment so can't get in trouble for it without shelley saying anything talk about a vicious circle

melmarshall858
11-06-2005, 22:55
Atm though that and the Danny/Leanne storyline is the best they have going.

i dont really like the storyline between danny/leanne/frankie and jamie i think it just seems too sleazy for the time being dont really think that corrie has any gripping storylines going on am sick of the baker already and sally going from job to job dont like keith and hate tracy and steve together

Katy
12-06-2005, 16:27
i think that corrie handle issues really well. The shelley and charlie one is acted really well and is really gripping. I like the way corrie build things up to a huge climax if you know what i mean.

SarahWakefield
14-06-2005, 17:14
Is Anyone Fed Up Wiv The Whole Shelley And Charlie Storyline. I Mean Who Would Honestly Put Up Wiv A Bloke Like Him And Who Would Stay In There Bedroom For Weeks On End! It Is Dragging On For Too Long And Getting Very Boring!

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 17:18
you'll be surprised what people put up with in thise situations, domestic abuse is not over overnight, corrie are trying to make it as real as possible so that people in those sort of situations can identify with shellys plight

it does happen, you become dependant on a person and there is no escape, you become isolated and vunerable

Treacle
14-06-2005, 17:19
Not a spoiler :) Moving to General Corrie

Treacle
14-06-2005, 17:19
I agree, bit of a borefest :D

alan45
14-06-2005, 17:22
There is already a thread on this subject but I would like to say AGAIN that IMHO this story is very true to life.

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 17:23
I agree, bit of a borefest :D

not for us who have watched people we love go through similar stuff

well done to corrie, or showing how this develops from normal to abuse

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 17:49
threads merged as they are essentially the same discussion

Treacle
14-06-2005, 18:14
I do believe it's happening because the acting is of reasonable standard but I'm not impressed atall by how long it's dragging on.

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 18:15
mikes alzheimers (sp) is going to be another really long burner

alan45
14-06-2005, 18:35
I do believe it's happening because the acting is of reasonable standard but I'm not impressed atall by how long it's dragging on.It has been happening to a friend of mine for almost three years now. Its only been happening slowly and bit by bit but the similarites are really scary

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 18:39
It has been happening to a friend of mine for almost three years now. Its only been happening slowly and bit by bit but the similarites are really scary

its sad to say, ive seen my mum go though it twice,

it took a lot for her to leave my little bros father, in the end she did it for us, she didnt want us to go though hell

thats why i get so mad when people criticise the storyline, it needs to be told slowly, because thats real life

alan45
14-06-2005, 18:44
its sad to say, ive seen my mum go though it twice,

it took a lot for her to leave my little bros father, in the end she did it for us, she didnt want us to go though hell

thats why i get so mad when people criticise the storyline, it needs to be told slowly, because thats real life

And the sad thing is that the'VICTIM' cannot see the abuser for what they really are. We have dropped hints to our friend but she thinks HE can do no wrong :angry:

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 18:49
they need to realise for themselves though--- it will happen in time. my mother married this bloke knowing full well what he was like, it was over 9 moths later after a particularly nasty incident. he peomised to change, but she couldnt risk, hers, mine or ickle bros safety, it was rubbish for a long time but we pulled though with support from my family and friends

it will get better i promise xxx

alan45
14-06-2005, 18:53
It really angers me to see a very intelligent girl almost a prisoner in her own home, he made her sell her car and now is trying to get her to sell her house so they can both move into something smaller (downsizing he calls it). Its her OWN house and he tells anyone who listens its his. He has made her totally dependent on him

Bad Wolf
14-06-2005, 18:58
it happened to my mum, she had my bro, and developed a bad back- didnt go back to work for years, but she though it was fine because he was funding us in part, but she realised comfort doesnt make you or your kids happy

i hated him from the start, thought he was a moron, mum just put my attitude down to being a teenager, but i was proved right, a violent nasty piece of work

i swear your friend will see sense... it just might take a while, just support her all you can xx

Angeltigger
20-06-2005, 21:06
why do we need to change

Jade
20-06-2005, 21:09
change what??

Treacle
20-06-2005, 21:12
This storyline is getting worse by the episode. It's totally dire!

diane
20-06-2005, 23:09
Someone with agorophobia could well stay in their room for weeks, especially if there was a bar full of people downstairs!
Think tonights episode, Monday June 20th, was well acted particularly by Shelley. I have been where she is now, have been in a restaurant or supermarket and wanted to get out like right away! I am agorophobic myself, to explain, although much better nowadays. I have never suffered any sort of abuse by a man though, quite the contrary.
The feeling of panic is quite overwhelming, it completely takes over your life as it has Shelly's. Its a wonder that nobody has suggested Shelly needs medical help though!
It is a subject which needs to be brought out in the open, so that people who have it can get help.

Emmak2005
20-06-2005, 23:49
It also has a slightly sadisic comedy side to it as well as all the wickedness involved in Charlie manipulating Shelley into getting to bar her mother from the pub. I nearled p'd myself laughing when she still couldn't face the pub and Charlie found out she was still stuck in her room (in tonight's episode) He walked in and went: "3,2,1 & your back in the room". That Paul McKenna/Derren Brown/Little Britain line was highly amusing. Well for me it was anyway!

diane
21-06-2005, 00:00
Emma I missed that bit while I went to get a cup of tea, lol.

alan45
21-06-2005, 00:42
This storyline is getting worse by the episode. It's totally dire!

Much as I hate to disagree with YOU WQ. I think this story is building up into a fantastic climax. Its so realistic, even down to the asshole taking Shelley out to a posh restaurant and he had no money with him, the sooner Charlie gets his comeuppance the better :angry:

Treacle
21-06-2005, 00:54
I'm prepared to sacrifice realism for entertainment!

alan45
21-06-2005, 00:56
:rotfl: Thats why you watch EE then :rotfl:

alan45
21-06-2005, 00:57
Seriously though I am going to put my views on EE on the thread soon

Treacle
21-06-2005, 00:58
:rotfl: Thats why you watch EE then :rotfl:
Well atleast you've said EE is entertaining! None of the soaps have ANY realism anymore. There's the odd storyline that does like this one but they're mostly boring.

Treacle
21-06-2005, 00:58
Seriously though I am going to put my views on EE on the thread soon
Which thread?

alan45
21-06-2005, 00:59
I beleive there is a sticky for tonights and all episodes

Treacle
21-06-2005, 01:02
I beleive there is a sticky for tonights and all episodes
Oh yes there is. It always confuses me though so I never go in there. I prefer what they all do over on DS, they have individual threads.

alan45
21-06-2005, 01:05
Yes at least 5 or six per episode

Treacle
21-06-2005, 01:06
Well actually they've been quite tidy recently.

alan45
21-06-2005, 01:18
Who has DS????

Treacle
21-06-2005, 01:20
Yes, and I still prefer their way of discussing episodes. Better than one combined topic.

alan45
21-06-2005, 01:58
Well you are a mod on here can you not use your influence to change things

Treacle
21-06-2005, 02:01
Not really, everybody likes the method in use. I don't hardly post there anyways. Thanks for admiring me. We matched! :D

parkerman
21-06-2005, 10:09
As more of an Eastenders fan I don't watch Coronation Street all the time, but I have to say, I disagree with you, Walford Queen, on the Charlie/Shelley storyline. I think it is extremely well done and true to life. There is a palpable tension whenever they are on and the acting of both of them is superb. As a villain I think Charlie knocks spots off Richard Hillman. I find it absolutely gripping and not too slow at all.

lildevil
21-06-2005, 17:16
i think shelly should smack his head on one of the beer pumps and run for her life.

Treacle
21-06-2005, 17:44
It's too long for me but I don't hate it. Norris and Emily are worse!

lildevil
21-06-2005, 17:49
i can't stand norris can't someone shout him?

Treacle
21-06-2005, 22:17
Norris is one of the worst characters they've ever had!

alan45
21-06-2005, 23:54
NOOOOOOO Norris is not the worst. He comes out with some funny lines and his character always seems to get the wrong end of the stick. I think he makes a great double act with Rita. Typical wee man wanting to be a big man

Debs
22-06-2005, 09:12
i love norris he is soo funny

lildevil
22-06-2005, 16:15
norris is so annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phils little sister
22-06-2005, 16:20
I love Norris he is great

Treacle
22-06-2005, 16:37
Norris, Rita and Emily are all dead wood. I thought they were finally starting to get somewhere when they axed Martin. Next on the hitlist I thought would be Ken who seems to be there to keep an original character in the show rather than for his below par acting skills that might have been OK in the sixties!

alan45
22-06-2005, 17:03
Sorry WQ but they are all integral parts of the show. Each in their own ways. Its nice just to have some ordinary people in a soap.

true.moon
22-06-2005, 17:05
corri have done a fab they want to make me watch more and more they always keep you on a cliff hanger and you dont know what will happen next

shannisrules
22-06-2005, 17:32
corrie is really good at the moment but what i dont get is why shelly has a sort of phobia of going downstairs im really confused because as far as i can recall she walked into a door then went upstairs into hiding lol and has now got a phobia of going down is there something i missed

Treacle
22-06-2005, 18:07
The Websters and Platts are also past their sellby dates.

Jade
22-06-2005, 21:28
corrie is really good at the moment but what i dont get is why shelly has a sort of phobia of going downstairs im really confused because as far as i can recall she walked into a door then went upstairs into hiding lol and has now got a phobia of going down is there something i missed

Its cause charlie manipulated her into feeling safe when she is in her room.

Treacle
22-06-2005, 21:30
Fred would never have kept her on, he's letting her live there and she's not even working for him.

iocioc
23-06-2005, 10:12
well yeah thats true fred would have given her the boot long ago cos its not like fred and charlie are even getting along

Luna
23-06-2005, 10:16
Fred would never have kept her on, he's letting her live there and she's not even working for him.

Yeah i was saying that the other day. She's only got that room because she works there they dont know it's a real illness that she's got so why hasn't he said anything???

Treacle
23-06-2005, 11:01
Exactly and she hasn't produced a sick note and Charlie won't even let Fred in the room and Fred owns it!!! No way would Fred stand up for this sort of thing, he DOES have a backbone. It's not like he's a character like Claire or something.

shannisrules
24-06-2005, 21:04
charlie is so horrible when does this storyline actually come to an end ie. shelly finds out what charlie is really like

~*~Leanne~*~
28-06-2005, 18:55
I think the Charlie and Shelly storyline is great and well played by bith actors

Debs
28-06-2005, 23:31
i agree i love this storyline.it has been very well done and i am soo glad that they ahve kept it going. very realistic

Treacle
28-06-2005, 23:34
It's still a load of old cobblers, someone please shoot the pair of them! :D
Give this storyline to EastEnders and watch the level of high powerful drama rise :D

alan45
29-06-2005, 00:45
Give this storyline to EastEnders and watch the level of high powerful drama rise :D

:rotfl: :rotfl: Yes it would be over in about two weeks and forgotten about :rotfl: :rotfl:

Its abrilliant storyline and extremely well acted in real time

Treacle
29-06-2005, 00:54
:rotfl: :rotfl: Yes it would be over in about two weeks and forgotten about :rotfl: :rotfl:

Its abrilliant storyline and extremely well acted in real time
EastEnders have done it's fair share of brilliant slow burning storylines in it's time. Like any other soap though it's made mistakes and dragged the wrong things out i.e. things that don't work being dragged out. When it comes to drama though it's the only soap that can offer it naturally and at a high powerful level. Maybe not nowadays but certainly in it's heyday which it is going back to.

alan45
29-06-2005, 00:59
EastEnders have done it's fair share of brilliant slow burning storylines in it's time. .

TRUE - VERY TRUE

When it comes to drama though it's the only soap that can offer it naturally and at a high powerful level. .

NOT TRUE - All three soaps have in the past produced excellent and powerful dramas

Maybe not nowadays but certainly in it's heyday which it is going back to.

Well we live in hope. There certainly has been a marked improvement

Treacle
29-06-2005, 01:04
NOT TRUE - All three soaps have in the past produced excellent and powerful dramas

That's true but it's been a bit OTT. Even with an OTT dramatic situation EastEnders makes it seem more real. Look at the Dan, Bianca and Carol storyline when it all kicked off. It was brilliant kitchen sink drama. No dead bodies or anything either.

alan45
29-06-2005, 01:07
That's true but it's been a bit OTT. Even with an OTT dramatic situation EastEnders makes it seem more real..

TWO WORDS Cardboard funfair

Bianca and Carol - Brilliant

Mo and Trevor - Brilliant

Nick and Dot - Brilliant

Janine - Brilliant

Frank and his bow tie :sick:

Treacle
29-06-2005, 01:08
TWO WORDS Cardboard funfair

Bianca and Carol - Brilliant

Mo and Trevor - Brilliant

Nick and Dot - Brilliant

Janine - Brilliant

Frank and his bow tie :sick:
The example you give happened to fall during the slump and when it was led by it's weakest executive producer. No real die hard fans remember any of that stuff we like to remember the 17 golden years we had on the trot.

tasha_cfc
29-06-2005, 10:30
I agree with most of you i think this storyline is excellent as it happens in real life all the time. I think Charlie is a fantastic actor and Shelley a fantastic actress, hope they keep up the good work as it is interesting to watch the storyline unfold.

stacyefc
29-06-2005, 11:25
it is a really good storyline but i wish shelley would just stand up to him

alan45
29-06-2005, 11:43
it is a really good storyline but i wish shelley would just stand up to him

The problem is that he has worn her down so much she hastnt the will to fight back. Apart from the fact unlike her friends Shelley cannot see the evil side of Charlie

Digital Duck
01-07-2005, 01:57
The Shelley and Charlie storyline has to be one of the worst ever in any soap. It is so dire i cannot even begin to believe it!!!!!! Bill Ward and Sally Lindsey cannot act for toffee, they are not even good enough to be in daytime soap Doctors!

The same goes for Bev, Shelley's mother too what a highly irritating scag she is. :thumbsdow

Shelley just spends her day locked inside her room, HELLO you have a pub to run!

Another thing, does anybody else find shelley really orange? She has been tangoed HEHE ! I have to turn my colour down when she comes on screen.

RUBBISH, RUBBISH, RUBBISH Corrie really is the pits right now. :rotfl:

QUACK QUACK, Shelley needs a WHACK!

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:01
The Shelley and Charlie storyline has to be one of the worst ever in any soap. It is so dire i cannot even begin to believe it!!!!!! Bill Ward and Sally Lindsey cannot act for toffee, they are not even good enough to be in daytime soap Doctors!

The same goes for Bev, Shelley's mother too what a highly irritating scag she is. :thumbsdow

Shelley just spends her day locked inside her room, HELLO you have a pub to run!

Another thing, does anybody else find shelley really orange? She has been tangoed HEHE ! I have to turn my colour down when she comes on screen.

RUBBISH, RUBBISH, RUBBISH Corrie really is the pits right now. :rotfl:

QUACK QUACK, Shelley needs a WHACK!
OMG you're after my own heart and I agree 100% with what you have written.

It's just dire, I say dire :D :D :D

Chris_2k11
01-07-2005, 02:04
QUACK QUACK, Shelley needs a WHACK!LOL! :rotfl:

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:13
LOL! :rotfl:
I found that funny too. What a good first post! This one has my seal of approval, I think they're fantastic.

Chris_2k11
01-07-2005, 02:15
Yeah they seem pretty cool! A good, lively, opinionated poster! :) Welcome to the boards Digital Duck! :thumbsup:

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:16
Yeah they seem pretty cool! A good, lively, opinionated poster! :) Welcome to the boards Digital Duck! :thumbsup:
Someone who tells it how it is. Love the way they summed up how dire it is :D :D :D

Chris_2k11
01-07-2005, 02:21
Someone who tells it how it is. Love the way they summed up how dire it is :D :D :DYeah they summed it up pretty well actually! With a good touch of comedy in that first post too! :D :p

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:23
Yeah they summed it up pretty well actually! With a good touch of comedy in that first post too! :D :p
Yep. Quack quack Shelley needs a whack.

Digital Duck
01-07-2005, 02:29
Thanks folks, someone had to say it didn't they? I find it a mystery to how anyone could possibly enjoy this storyline? It's bad writing at its best...

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:30
Thanks folks, someone had to say it didn't they? I find it a mystery to how anyone could possibly enjoy this storyline? It's bad writing at its best...
People are too frightened to speak their minds when it comes to Corrie. It's slumped horrificly since the start of 2005 but not many are prepared to admit it. I pride myself on being one of the few. The sad thing is people accuse me of being biased but I used to love it but it's a load of old cobblers (quite fitting really) at the moment.

Digital Duck
01-07-2005, 02:35
People will only admit it when it is too late but it's nearly at that stage now.

It's so obvious that things will get worse before they get any better.

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:36
They have SO many pointless characters.

The Twins, Kelly Craptree, Tyrone, Maria, Candice, Warren, Woodam Barlow, Sunita, Dev, Harris grandfather etc

Chris_2k11
01-07-2005, 02:47
Id like to know why they've brought in this Diggory bloke??? :confused: Well, I know why, apparently for "comedy value." For comedy value we have already got Blanche, Norris, The Twins, Sean, Roy, Les, Cilla, Claire, etc, so why do we need another comedy character!? This is supposed to be a Serial Drama not a comedy sitcom. Why does Corrie insist on introducing all of these new comedy characters though?? :searchme: Do they think it's what the soap needs?!? I think we can guarantee that we wont be seeing Diggory in a good powerful storyline, therefore... axe him! I mean "Diggory".... even the names a joke! :rolleyes:

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:49
Id like to know why they've brought this Diggory bloke in??? :confused: Well, I know why, apparently for "comedy value." For comedy value we have already got Blanche, Norris, The Twins, Sean, Roy, Cilla, Claire, etc, so why do we need another comedy character!? This is supposed to be a Serial Drama not a comedy sitcom. Why does Corrie insist on introducing all of these new comedy characters though?? Do they think that's what the soap needs?!? I think we can guarantee that we wont be seeing Diggory in a good powerful storyline, therefore... axe him! I mean "Diggory".... even the names a joke! :rolleyes:
How could I forget him? And they've totally ruined any redemption Cilla had by crossing the line with her. Blanche is comedy gold to name an example but the likes of Diggory is just a farce.

Nowadays I find myself just LISTENING to Corrie rather than WATCHING. This butcher war could be the final straw for me though.

Chris_2k11
01-07-2005, 02:53
This butcher war could be the final straw for me though.Oh dear god, im switching over if that rubbish comes on the screen in tonight's episode! Forgot about him too! Fred! Yet another comedy character! The list really is endless! :rolleyes:

Treacle
01-07-2005, 02:54
Oh dear god, im switching over if that rubbish comes on the screen in tonight's episode! Forgot about him too! Fred! Yet another comedy character! The list really is endless! :rolleyes:
Fred is actually redeemable if pulled back from the line he's crossing.

That new butcher who happens to look a bit like Fred and who just so happens to have a son who talks like he's on helium like Ashley too surprise surprise is horrific.

Digital Duck
01-07-2005, 03:08
That new butcher who happens to look a bit like Fred and who just so happens to have a son who talks like he's on helium like Ashley too surprise surprise is horrific.

QUACK QUACK it sounds CACK!

How do they get away with dire storylines such as this? They are completely ridiculous, perhaps it says something about the actual audience who enjoy these camp OTT storylines.

They scriptwriters appear to have no talent and imagination to give certain characters the justice expected. First Fred falls down a hole and now this? If they can't find anything to do with a character (like most of the characters that have done nothing for years :rolleyes: ) they might as well axe them. Fred is a great character but what is the point in ruining him with this type of claptrap.

Is anyone here willing to admit they enjoy these type of storylines and if so, why?

Treacle
01-07-2005, 03:12
QUACK QUACK it sounds CACK!

How do they get away with dire storylines such as this? They are completely ridiculous, perhaps it says something about the actual audience who enjoy these camp OTT storylines.

They scriptwriters appear to have no talent and imagination to give certain characters the justice expected. First Fred falls down a hole and now this? If they can't find anything to do with a character (like most of the characters that have done nothing for years :rolleyes: ) they might as well axe them. Fred is a great character but what is the point in ruining him with this type of claptrap.

Is anyone here willing to admit they enjoy these type of storylines and if so, why?
I hate them.
Fred falling down a hole was funny but would have been better suited to a comedy sitcom.
I hate it when people refer to Corrie as a serial drama because it's NOT and certainly not atall at the moment.
They axed Mahhhtin Platt because they couldn't find anywhere else to take him after the dreadful Kayee storyline that was brave so they should axe more. 95% of the cast needs culling at the moment.

CrazyLea
05-07-2005, 15:31
this storyline has been going on far too long now!

Debs
05-07-2005, 15:33
but wasnt that the idea

lilnick
14-07-2005, 06:43
Is Anyone Fed Up Wiv The Whole Shelley And Charlie Storyline. I Mean Who Would Honestly Put Up Wiv A Bloke Like Him And Who Would Stay In There Bedroom For Weeks On End! It Is Dragging On For Too Long And Getting Very Boring!
I agree I hate this storyline. Having been duped by Peter Shelley would not have let herself get into this state with Charley. It's boring and tedious and annoying. At the moment I also do not like the Sarah/Scooter, the Danny/ Jamie/ Leanne or the Candice/Warren storylines. Think I am gonna have to give corrie a miss for a while!!They have borrowed EE's sacked witers!

alan45
14-07-2005, 09:59
Think I am gonna have to give corrie a miss for a while!!They have borrowed EE's sacked witers!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Treacle
14-07-2005, 10:40
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Even you're laughing at how bad the programme has become! :p

Katy
14-07-2005, 11:20
i am a fan but i have to say it is going downhill. They are dragging storys to death making people bored. Its a yawnfest at the moment.

alan45
14-07-2005, 12:23
Even you're laughing at how bad the programme has become! :p

No Im not. I happen to like the Shelley storyline as its so realistic. I do concede that some of the storylines are getting a bit tedious - this certainly isnt one of them :p

Treacle
14-07-2005, 12:24
No Im not. I happen to like the Shelley storyline as its so realistic. I do concede that some of the storylines are getting a bit tedious - this certainly isnt one of them :p
I disagree, it's been going on for almost a year now.

alan45
14-07-2005, 12:30
I disagree, it's been going on for almost a year now.

I have a very good friend who this has been happening to for over five years now. Her partner is a control freak like Charlie and he just keeps pushing her a little more each week. All her friends and family can see it but not her. I think the Charlie Shellie thing is going on at the right pace so as to make it realistic.

Treacle
14-07-2005, 12:31
Realistic but boring? Let's face it the days of soap reflecting true life are long gone.

alan45
14-07-2005, 12:47
I dont find it boring - now as for the Carp Story and the Boxing Butchers they are boring

phils little sister
14-07-2005, 12:54
Im really gone off Corrie at the moment and its mostly because of the Shelly / Charlie storyline

Keating's babe
14-07-2005, 13:06
I think Corrie are playing the Shelley and Charlie storyline very real. It does happen in real life and they are showing how their relationship has evolved over time.

Treacle
14-07-2005, 13:36
I wish there was something I could do to show you all how bad it is. Maybe I'll dig out some of my old Hilda episodes and upload some clips somewhere.

Keating's babe
14-07-2005, 14:55
Ahhh who could forget Hilda and Stan... and the flying ducks. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Treacle
15-07-2005, 12:13
Ahhh who could forget Hilda and Stan... and the flying ducks. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
That was when Corrie was worth watching.

Treacle
15-07-2005, 20:52
Not a very good episode tonight I'm afraid! :D

alan45
15-07-2005, 22:09
:p
I wish there was something I could do to show you all how bad it is. Maybe I'll dig out some of my old Hilda episodes and upload some clips somewhere.

I can understand you having problems finding something bad :p

alan45
15-07-2005, 22:10
Not a very good episode tonight I'm afraid! :D

An excellent episode tonight :moonie:

Abbie
15-07-2005, 22:19
I dont find it boring - now as for the Carp Story and the Boxing Butchers they are boring
i know what you mean :thumbsdow

Treacle
16-07-2005, 00:19
An excellent episode tonight :moonie:
What was excellent about it? Yet more Sharlie nonsense. It's been going on since Summer 2004.

Treacle
16-07-2005, 00:20
:p

I can understand you having problems finding something bad :p
Finding something good is hard in Corrie at the moment! Only got 22 mins to endure and yet still nothing :rotfl:

alan45
16-07-2005, 00:58
Well its better than 30 mins of Molfie/Kalfie/Shannis

Treacle
16-07-2005, 01:02
Well its better than 30 mins of Molfie/Kalfie/Shannis
Which you still put yourself through probably!! :p

alan45
16-07-2005, 01:06
i record it on my hard drive and fast forward through the crap

Treacle
16-07-2005, 01:27
i record it on my hard drive and fast forward through the crap
Take it you didn't have to do much fast forwarding tonight then! :p

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:10
I didn't even bother watching EE tonight because i could guess tha nothing was going to happen of much interest.

Coronation Street, however, i will watch later on ITV2 on the omnibus

The reason i like the Shelly and Charlie story is because it is realistic, yet doesn't go on constantly. This story has been going on for years, but hasn't developed in every single episode. I find that sort easier to keep up with and understand. Some of the EE stories like Shannis have done pretty much the same, but then there are ones like Molfie/Kalfie that never seem to end

xx

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:25
Mofie and KAlfie are tolerable depending on what else is going on in the episode and we've had quite a lot recently with Shannis. Like in any soap there's always going to be one plotline you don't like.

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:26
I criticise Corrie when it deserves it and praise it when it deserves it too and last night's was a below average episode IMHO.

Bring back Archie Shuttleworth - all is forgiven!

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:27
He was a great charcter!

I haven't seen Corrie from last night yet, so i'll see what i think once i have

xx

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:40
To be honest I can't really remember much about it. The best bit of the whole episode was Bev! She's the best of a bad bunch at the moment.

The WORST Corrie episodes ever at the moment are the 2nd Monday ones, they seem to roll out the 2nd half of the cast that they don't use regularly during the week just to warrant their pay/contract or give them screentime.
They used to be really good episodes with high drama like Richard Hillman, we would all tune in for more exciting stuff but tuning back in for the fish rescue mission etc hasn't been tempting. Maybe it will improve with the help of a new producer?

I just want it to go back to the standards that I'm used to. It's never been as good as EastEnders at it's best but it's always had good quality that I can enjoy.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:42
I really wouldn't like it if they repeated anything even faintly like Richard Hillman, Maya or Charlie and Shelly

They just need some more good plots to develop, but untill then Comedy is better then nothing

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:43
Charlie & Shelley isn't even in the same league as the Richard Hillman storyline.

Even Mad Maya didn't bore me despite the gaping big holes in the storyline.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:47
but its a story that they shouldn't repeat, thats the point i'm making.

The problem that Coronation Street writters are probably facing is that they have covered all of the bases; mass murders, affairs, successful weddings, wedding disaters, children, mental illness, abuse, jail, courtcases, ETC. Once they think of another great story they will be back on track

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:48
You can cover everything more than once though! There's loads of potential for storylines. They just need to bring in some new talent and axe dead wood like the Platts :p

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:50
Thye must be bringing in a few new people soon with that "footballer" (Cant remember his name) leaving

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:51
Well they cast based on appearence rather than actual talent nowadays.
The new Adam Barlow was supposed to be a hunk but he certainly isn't! I can only assume he's taken ill hence the current one filling in for him.

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:52
Hopefully the new person/people will be a great improvement

has that Adam Barlow even had any storylines yet?

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:54
Hopefully the new person/people will be a great improvement

has that Adam Barlow even had any storylines yet?
Well apart from getting aborted back in 1987 I think it was...

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:56
they definetly need to use him more. hopefully with the up coming stories with his dad he should get more storylines to prove or disprove himself

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:58
The funny thing is Corrie have pulled off a miracle because he wasn't even born.

Treacle
16-07-2005, 09:58
Same with Mike who was supposed to be an only child but now has a brother apparently! :)

Abi
16-07-2005, 09:59
lol

i thought he was just "long lost" or something like that. I dont even remember who's his mum

Treacle
16-07-2005, 10:01
His mum is called Susan she happens to turn up out of the blue with him then suddenly her character dies in a car crash having introduced their aborted grandchild first though!

Abi
16-07-2005, 10:02
omg, that so wierd!

Treacle
16-07-2005, 10:04
I know, the timing of the car crash was really contrived.

Abi
16-07-2005, 11:18
Stories like that are just pointless and brign the soap down, thankfully they also have classics as well

Treacle
16-07-2005, 12:19
Well most soaps do have a lot of classic storylines but it's mainly the big three.

I await tomorrow's episode with baited breath but I don't really expect it to be up to much. Probably more Sharlie and the fish-gate saga isn't even over with yet!

Abi
16-07-2005, 12:21
the fish gate saga! omg dont get me started on that!

Treacle
16-07-2005, 12:26
Yet another in a long line of yawnfests in 2005.

They should just kill Sarah-Lou off now and poor Bethany should be taken into care seeing as how she's always left at home to look after herself while Gail's at work, Audrey's at work, Martin's at work and David's at school...

Debs
16-07-2005, 18:56
sarah is boring now! she needs a few goodstorylines like the ones she used to fget

Treacle
16-07-2005, 22:15
sarah is boring now! she needs a few goodstorylines like the ones she used to fget
Exactly, her current storyline with the fish is awful. They just don't seem to know what to do with her anymore so she's now dead wood like the rest of them.

Abbie
16-07-2005, 22:30
oh the fish storyline and what is that going on a bout

Treacle
16-07-2005, 22:39
I haven't a clue but when I find out, I'll let you know! :D

Abbie
16-07-2005, 22:44
I haven't a clue but when I find out, I'll let you know! :D
lol thanks but i think know one has a answer to that even the writers lol

Treacle
16-07-2005, 22:45
They're just filling in now until Bet Lynch comes back! Her return last time was so fabaros that they've decided to rope her in again. At first she said neigh but she's agreed to sign up now :p

alan45
16-07-2005, 23:22
They are coming - just bide your time FISHGATE will not last forever its just a summer fillin

Treacle
16-07-2005, 23:27
They are coming - just bide your time FISHGATE will not last forever its just a summer fillin
Well if they can't even get a filler right then they're definately losing their touch because fillers are what Corrie normally does best.

Treacle
18-07-2005, 00:21
Didn't enjoy last nights episode more Sean Tully nonsense.

Jenny who plays Violet is a really good actress who is being wasted with this drivel.

Debs
18-07-2005, 11:37
i thought violet was really good last night. charlie is a horrid vile man!! be good to seehim get his comeuppance

Bryan
18-07-2005, 12:30
what happened to violet i missed the episode *accidently on purpose*

Abi
18-07-2005, 12:51
Charlie tried it on again, and she refused and went out of hte oub crying saying that its "all her fault" and that she lead him on ETC

Abbie
18-07-2005, 22:22
i starting to like violet but i feel so sorry for her but tonights eppisode was ashock for me with shelly

Treacle
18-07-2005, 22:25
Another below average episode tonight :) It gets worse! Cannot be doing with this new personality of Shelley's. Janine's agraphobia on EastEnders was loads better.
Sharlie is awful.

Abbie
18-07-2005, 23:01
Another below average episode tonight :) It gets worse! Cannot be doing with this new personality of Shelley's. Janine's agraphobia on EastEnders was loads better.
Sharlie is awful.
i know!""

chance
19-07-2005, 15:05
i was actually laughing when he was trying to get her out of the backyard,thought it was quite comical.sorry :o

Treacle
29-07-2005, 01:43
They've not been seen for a short while so maybe we can have a nice break from this borefest! :)

Chris_2k11
29-07-2005, 01:49
Is that Bev back for good then? :searchme:

Luna
29-07-2005, 07:56
Is that Bev back for good then? :searchme:

I thought ahe was only back until the end of the Shelly and Charlie storyline but then again it could go on forever

Bad Wolf
29-07-2005, 08:01
i hope she stays, she can be funny at times

Luna
29-07-2005, 08:02
Im not sure about her sometimes i like her and sometimes she really annoys me

Chris_2k11
29-07-2005, 17:27
She annoyed me last week, practically throwing herself at Ciaran! :rolleyes:

Abi
29-07-2005, 17:48
I dont like her, shes such a sterotype mother

Treacle
30-07-2005, 21:48
Lost The Plot

I read in 'The Sun' recently that the Coronation Street producers will be filming two different endings to Charlie and Shelleys wedding, so they can avoid the storyline being leaked.
Personally, I've lost interest in these two characters anyway. This saga has already gone on for far too long. I hope the show does us all a favour and gets rid of both of them.

Mr R Gerrard,
Surbiton, Surrey

CrazyLea
30-07-2005, 22:12
wow!! freaky!! i just read the very same letter! and i completly agree with him! get rid of them both!

Chris_2k11
30-07-2005, 22:22
Yeah I read that too!

Treacle
31-07-2005, 00:53
I mean people are finally cottoning on to the poor quality of this once great show :D

CrazyLea
31-07-2005, 01:04
i still think the show is good (but i must admit i didnt used to watch it cos like im not old enough lol) but the only storyline ruining itis the shelley and charlie one!

Chris_2k11
31-07-2005, 01:07
There is also that storyline with Danny & Leanne, but we aint really seen much happen with that recently :hmm:

CrazyLea
31-07-2005, 01:13
i dont mind the danny and leanne thing. i think their in the wrong of course, and hes a bit old for her. but i dont mind it like.

Jade
31-07-2005, 15:03
I think there is more on the Danny and Leanne thing comming up, also Mike is involved in a big story line soon...

Treacle
31-07-2005, 15:04
I know what Mike is involved in and it's absolute tosh jude hun so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Jade
31-07-2005, 15:05
Mikes involved in two, one sounds rubbish and one sounds good, without giving too much away!

Treacle
31-07-2005, 15:05
One of them is hilarious because it just keeps happening and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Jade
31-07-2005, 15:07
Yep its an old one that has been done sooo many times by all the soaps. The other one will be good I think but it will be purley down to the acting ability of the actor who plays Mike Baldwin.

Treacle
31-07-2005, 15:16
Well I've always found him to be a plank of wood myself.

Jade
31-07-2005, 15:29
I dont think hes that bad but each to their own :) Will have to see how it all pans out I guess

Treacle
31-07-2005, 15:31
I'm not keen on him. I used to love his ex-wife though Alma - Amanda Barrie.

Jade
31-07-2005, 15:35
Up she's good in Bad Girls as well.

Treacle
31-07-2005, 16:36
I like her, I have seen her a few times in 'Carry On' too.

Abi
31-07-2005, 19:17
I think she's great in Bad Girls, but i wasn't keen on her in Coronation Street, cause i didn't think that her and Mike worked together that well

Treacle
31-07-2005, 19:28
It's allover now for Corrie, even Emmerdale is better than it!

Chris_2k11
31-07-2005, 19:34
Emmerdale was great tonight!

Treacle
31-07-2005, 19:59
I only caught ten minutes of tonights installment of 'Emmerdale Farm'.

Treacle
02-08-2005, 00:32
Finally a decent break from these two, still no Shelley & Charlie! I feel liberated what with no Mofie in EE as well!!!!! :)

Chris_2k11
02-08-2005, 00:44
Finally a decent break from these two, still no Shelley & Charlie! I feel liberated what with no Mofie in EE as well!!!!! :)It's fantastic isn't it WQ! :) Heaven lol! :) :)

Treacle
02-08-2005, 11:40
It's fantastic isn't it WQ! :) Heaven lol! :) :)
Bliss! Long may it continue...

Treacle
06-08-2005, 03:41
They still haven't appeared thank god!

Chris_2k11
06-08-2005, 04:53
Lets be keeping our fingers crossed!

Treacle
06-08-2005, 04:58
I think they'll be in it this week though :mad:

Chris_2k11
06-08-2005, 05:01
I think they'll be in it this week though :mad:Hope not :thumbsdow

Treacle
06-08-2005, 05:03
Hope not :thumbsdow
Me too! :)

shannisrules
06-08-2005, 09:46
me 3 lol

Debs
06-08-2005, 13:02
is the shelley and charlie thing still going on!!!

ive stopped watching it!!

Princess
06-08-2005, 20:00
I don't watch Corrie but my mum never stops complaining about Charlie and Shelly and thats saying something cos she's a really big fan.

Treacle
06-08-2005, 20:01

ive stopped watching it!!Yeah it's still boring us :)

shannisrules
06-08-2005, 21:49
i dont like that storyline anymore

Chris_2k11
06-08-2005, 21:59

ive stopped watching it!!Come back in 2008 debs, it might just have finished by then! :lol:

Treacle
07-08-2005, 03:39
i dont like that storyline anymoreI went off it a long time ago! :)

lildevil
07-08-2005, 10:38
what's the point of carrying on a storyline like charlie and shelly, it's sooooooooooooooooo boring, does fred kick shelly out?

Chris_2k11
07-08-2005, 22:28
what's the point of carrying on a storyline like charlie and shelly, it's sooooooooooooooooo boring, does fred kick shelly out?Hopefully!

Treacle
08-08-2005, 03:13
what's the point of carrying on a storyline like charlie and shelly, it's sooooooooooooooooo boring, does fred kick shelly out?
No I think Bev becomes the new manager of the pub :)

Treacle
08-08-2005, 03:13
I missed it last night did they appear?

Chris_2k11
08-08-2005, 03:30
I missed it last night did they appear?No, thank god!

Chris_2k11
08-08-2005, 20:46
Oh dear! :eek: They seem to have appeared in the second episode tonight! :eek: :thumbsdow

Treacle
08-08-2005, 20:47
I'm not paying attention to it but yes i have just heard them :eek:

Chris_2k11
08-08-2005, 20:49
I'm not paying attention to it but yes i have just heard them :eek:Arghh! :eek: lol!

Treacle
08-08-2005, 20:58
Well they didn't have much to say which is unusual for them two freaks :D

Chris_2k11
08-08-2005, 21:01
Luckily they only had one scene! Phew! :rolleyes: :D

Treacle
10-08-2005, 05:45
Luckily they only had one scene! Phew! :rolleyes: :D
Praise the lord! No doubt we'll be getting another lethal dosage of the muppets though before long it's worse than Mofie and that's saying something :rolleyes:

alan45
10-08-2005, 08:18
That is saying somethin - but seriously NOTHING is as bad as molfie. The Shelly storyline is moving at just the right pace. The conclusion will be logical and believable

Keating's babe
10-08-2005, 09:58
Well on reading the up and coming spoilers for Shelley - it looks like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. :rolleyes:

lildevil
10-08-2005, 16:45
i totaly agree with what your saying Walford Queen.

Treacle
15-08-2005, 02:32
They were back last night doing their same old routine!

lildevil
15-08-2005, 12:50
can't Corrie think of another storyline to do, cause this ones getting boring.

Keating's babe
15-08-2005, 13:02
I think Charlie is a great actor and love the way he has transformed since he first joined the show. It's about time though the storyline came to it's climax and we get to see Shelley back behind the bar.

Treacle
15-08-2005, 14:50
I think Charlie is a great actor and love the way he has transformed since he first joined the show. It's about time though the storyline came to it's climax and we get to see Shelley back behind the bar.It's the same old routine viewers are getting sick of. Her not wanting to sleep with Charlie is just getting too tedious now.

Treacle
15-08-2005, 14:52
That is saying somethin - but seriously NOTHING is as bad as molfie. The Shelly storyline is moving at just the right pace. The conclusion will be logical and believableI don't want believable this is a soap they've long since gone past that stage and are now created for entertainment purposes. They have to have some touches of realism i.e. characters making cups of tea but that's as far as it should go. This storyline is NOT entertaining in the slightest and it's got nothing to do with the acting talent involved or the realism of the storyline!

Katy
15-08-2005, 14:53
they were definatly back last night. Recently corrie has been quite comic and last night shelley and charlie put a real downer on the mood.

Treacle
15-08-2005, 14:58
They used to strike a good mix of drama and humour but now they have a cr@p tedious dramatic storyline in "Sharlie" running along a rehash of an old plot with Mike and then lots of tedious panto OTT comedy thrown in amongst other pointless scenes.

Keating's babe
15-08-2005, 15:08
I agree about the Shelley/Charlie storyline running on for too long, but not with your other points. Corrie has the right balance between drama and comedy and does give you light relief and escapism. I have always found Corrie to be the better soap because it knows how to have the right balance. As much as I love EE, it cannot quite get it right - even though it does have some good one-liners every now and again.

Treacle
15-08-2005, 21:07
I agree about the Shelley/Charlie storyline running on for too long, but not with your other points. Corrie has the right balance between drama and comedy and does give you light relief and escapism. I have always found Corrie to be the better soap because it knows how to have the right balance. As much as I love EE, it cannot quite get it right - even though it does have some good one-liners every now and again.EE has never been a comedy soap so it's unfair to compare them. EE works more as a drama and at it's peak that's what I consider it to be not a soap a drama so it's unfair to compare at the end of the day :)

Treacle
15-08-2005, 21:08
They were in it tonight! How tedious was that!!!

I'm sorry but it just went on for far too long no doubt Charlie won't walk because he's going to propose to the looney!

Keating's babe
16-08-2005, 12:55
EE has never been a comedy soap so it's unfair to compare them. EE works more as a drama and at it's peak that's what I consider it to be not a soap a drama so it's unfair to compare at the end of the day :)

BUT.... there has always been a comparison between EE and Corrie as they have always been competing against each other. It's only in later years that Emmerdale has really come in to it's own and has gone from strength to strength.

jackyb
16-08-2005, 13:59
he needs a good slap off the jaw!!

parkerman
16-08-2005, 14:25
So does she!

And so do the scriptwriters!!

Treacle
16-08-2005, 16:18
BUT.... there has always been a comparison between EE and Corrie as they have always been competing against each other. It's only in later years that Emmerdale has really come in to it's own and has gone from strength to strength.People have always compared them because they're the two most watched programmes on the box but I think it's unfair to compare them.

lildevil
16-08-2005, 16:50
and then her asking him to marry her, what is she thinking, i think they should bring peter back.

Treacle
16-08-2005, 17:22
and then her asking him to marry her, what is she thinking, i think they should bring peter back.Exactly this storyline is just the pits! :D

alan45
16-08-2005, 19:27
The storyline is NOT the pits. With a few exceptions most of it has been extremely well written and accurately portrayed. It is true to life. Move in with a control freak and you will understand

Treacle
16-08-2005, 20:24
The storyline is NOT the pits. With a few exceptions most of it has been extremely well written and accurately portrayed. It is true to life. Move in with a control freak and you will understandNo thanks!

For the final time I am not slagging it off for it's realism or how it's acted I am slagging it off because it's boring and tedious and not entertaining and soaps are supposed to be entertaining.

It's the same old routine in every episode that they're in and it's so past it's sell by date now!

She won't sleep with him okay we established that 4 months ago :D now let's move on with the script/plot please!

It's like they recycle the same scripts for these two everytime and just give them a little bit of a tweak! *Yawn* :rolleyes:

Treacle
16-08-2005, 20:32
And what was that the other day with Sean & Tim?

Is that the end of their relationship? What a state this show is in if it was!

true.moon
16-08-2005, 21:07
i cant believe she took him back and she was the one feeling bad
i think it is time she stuck up for herself

Treacle
16-08-2005, 21:50
i cant believe she took him back and she was the one feeling bad
i think it is time she stuck up for herself
She won't though because it's just ridiculous!

I think they might as well start to wrap this show up now I really can't see any way back for it after Tony Wood :mad:

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:06
and then her asking him to marry her, what is she thinking, i think they should bring peter back.

Oh the bigamist two timing one, who had a child behind her back? lesser of the two evils though!

Treacle
16-08-2005, 22:07
Oh the bigamist two timing one, who had a child behind her back? lesser of the two evils though!They should have killed him off, he has no plans to return to the sinking ship :D

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:08
Is he not in a submarine anyway? lol he's there before the show!

Chris_2k11
16-08-2005, 22:10
Isn't he in 'where the heart is' now?! :searchme:

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:12
Isn't he in 'where the heart is' now?! :searchme:

Most former soap actors are!

Chris_2k11
16-08-2005, 22:13
Most former soap actors are!lol yeah I noticed that!

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:14
I only watched about 10 mins of it on Sunday and I saw, ex Emmerdale, Brookside, Hollyoaks!!

Treacle
16-08-2005, 22:15
I saw Peter Barlow in WTHI too with his goatee :sick:

Chris_2k11
16-08-2005, 22:15
Brookside?? Hollyoaks?? Who?? :searchme:

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:17
thy guy who was Des Barnes in corrie (sorry thought it was Brookie there for a min) and Will Mellor is in it from Hollyoaks and Two Pints

Treacle
16-08-2005, 22:21
thy guy who was Des Barnes in corrie (sorry thought it was Brookie there for a min) and Will Mellor is in it from Hollyoaks and Two PintsIs that wooden cah DVO still in it?

Jade
16-08-2005, 22:23
Is that wooden cah DVO still in it?

I dont know, only watched it for 10 mins on sunday, never seen it before!

Treacle
16-08-2005, 22:25
I dont know, only watched it for 10 mins on sunday, never seen it before!I used to watch it when Pam Ferris and Sarah Lancashire were in it!