PDA

View Full Version : Identity New Crime Drama for ITV

lizann
01-07-2010, 15:16
IDENTITY, a new six part ITV drama series starring Aidan Gillen and Keeley Hawes, follows an elite police unit formed to combat the explosion of identity-related crime.
Ed Whitmore’s newly created IDENTITY is here to tackle the darker side of reinvention: murderers who literally take other people’s lives, criminals who create new personas to escape evil pasts, impostors who look, talk and sound just like us but would kill you in a heartbeat.
The unit, lead by DSI Martha Lawson, (Keeley Hawes - Ashes to Ashes, Mutual Friends), works any case where making an identification is a significant part of solving the crime by outsmarting, hunting down and unmasking the modern day Jekyll and Hydes.
DSI Lawson is also the founder of the unit - which she fought long and hard for - and its perilous fate is a constant source of anxiety to her. She knows she took a gamble in hiring DI John Bloom, played by Aidan Gillen (The Wire, Queer as Folk) - the secret weapon of the Identity Unit. Crucially, Bloom is an ex-undercover cop so he knows first hand what it’s like to pretend to be someone you are not. He’s also only too aware of how easy it is to lose your own identity when you’re living a lie…
Holly Aird (Torn, Waking the Dead) is Tessa Stein, IT expert in everything from trawling databases to cracking security codes. Completing the team are DS Anthony Wareing (Shaun Parkes - Moses Jones, Harley Street), who has his eye on promotion and a stance on cases that can err on the self-righteous, and DC José Rodriguez (Elyes Gabel – Waterloo Road, Deadset) cocky, self-assured yet with a seriousness and sensitivity that gives him insight into cases. As the series unfolds, DS Wareing becomes more and more concerned about Bloom’s methods and frustrated by what he sees as Martha’s blind and foolish indulgence of him.
Kate Bartlett, Controller of Drama at ITV Studios, says: “This is a unique crime series, with an exciting cast, that explores the theme of identity. The psychology behind the issue of identity opens up a whole world of stories. We take for granted that people are who they say they are and a person’s ID is sacred. However, when that trust is violated it can provoke a special kind of fear, one that cuts to the heart of our sense of self and the world around us.”
Writer and creator Ed Whitmore says: “Somehow the whole proposition of identity has never felt more fluid, fragile and perilous and obviously that’s reflected in the burgeoning identity fraud crime stats. But it also poses deeper questions such as what does our identity really mean to us? Superficially we define it by our names, fingerprints, DNA etc and yet it clearly means so much more to us than that. The whole theme of identity just seemed to organically throw up so many compelling and dramatic questions.

“I’ve done a ton of research; in fact everyone involved in the development of the show has become an identity crime obsessive, because once you start reading the real life cases you just can’t stop. Probably the first story to really catch my attention was Elaine “The Chameleon” Parent who employed numerology parlour tricks to obtain strangers’ birth certificate and passport numbers. Eventually she killed a Florida bank clerk and flew to the UK under her name but by utilizing a dozen plus identities she managed to evade capture for another 12 years when she shot herself. Another truly astonishing case was John List who murdered his mother, wife and three children then disappeared for nearly 18 years. So out of all that came the idea of an elite Identity Unit who tackle the dark side of reinvention.”
Talking of the translation of his characters onto the small screen Ed continues: “There’s a real conundrum in creating cop characters. You want them to be good at their job so we can savour their investigative ingenuity yet you don’t want them to be blandly heroic – in essence you want that investigative ingenuity to COST them something. The paradox of a man who’s more comfortable in anyone’s skin but his own is really compelling and moving and Aidan Gillen said that’s what fundamentally grabbed him about the character of John Bloom. The conceit of Bloom’s perilous double life gave us an underlying tension that perfectly amplified the excitement of the stories of the week and located the theme of identity right at the heart of our story.
“In Keeley Hawes we were blessed to have an actress who could perfectly encapsulate the character of Martha Lawson’s mixture of single mindedness and vulnerability, professional dynamism and private weariness.”
IDENTITY is an ITV Studios production. Written and created by Ed Whitmore (He Kills Coppers, Waking the Dead), also written by Edward Bennett (Waking the Dead), produced by Lachlan MacKinnon (City of Vice) and directed by Brendan Maher (Spooks, Wide Sargasso Sea) and Andy Hay (Hotel Babylon, Trial and Retribution) Kate Bartlett (Gunrush) is the executive producer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wax-mypXkwE&feature=player_embedded

Dazzle
01-07-2010, 15:55
This looks really good. It's got a great cast - I've liked Aidan Gillen since Queer as Folk.

Katy
01-07-2010, 19:59
Im looking forward to jit, i love Keeley Hawes.

moonstorm
02-07-2010, 10:59
Really looking forward to this, as you say Dazzel - great cast.

tammyy2j
02-07-2010, 14:21
This looks really good. It's got a great cast - I've liked Aidan Gillen since Queer as Folk.

I love Aidan too should be good

Perdita
04-07-2010, 18:12
Keeley Hawes has claimed that there are no comparisons between her new Identity character and her former Ashes To Ashes alter ego DI Alex Drake.

The 34-year-old actress, who portrayed the time-travelling police officer for three series of the sci-fi sequel, insisted that DSI Martha Lawson in the ITV six-part drama has a completely different personality.

She told The Sunday Telegraph: "Every week it’s a really strong story, which makes it totally different to Ashes - which was all about the characters.

"It's different, too, in that there was always a bit of will-they-won't-they stuff between Gene Hunt and Drake in Ashes, whereas Bloom is in love with a woman from his undercover life and Martha is married to the job. She's a career policewoman without a partner or kids.

"But the truth is that there are far bigger nightmares than being misrepresented in print. Ask Ed Whitmore, the writer of Identity.

“In fact, the whole subject of identity theft seems so timely, it's a wonder that we managed to get in there first with this drama."

Identity launches tomorrow night at 9pm on ITV1.

moonstorm
06-07-2010, 09:04
Did anyone watch this last night? I did and loved it. Thought Aidan was very good.

Dazzle
06-07-2010, 15:11
Did anyone watch this last night? I did and loved it. Thought Aidan was very good.

Yes, I really enjoyed it too, and thought Aidan Gillen in particular shined in his role. It wasn't as good as Spooks (which I've seen it compared to), but I thought it had definite promise.

Katy
06-07-2010, 19:11
i thought it was good, its scary thought though, what people can find out about you. I work with these scenarios and it does happen.

I never thought to compare it to spooks as i think its different, there are similarities but then you get that with most cop shows.

Loved Aiden Gillen, its a bit confusing at the end.

moonstorm
07-07-2010, 10:12
I think the ending was about his past? It will probably be a thread running through it?

Abigail
07-07-2010, 11:33
I have seen this thread on the unread posts many times but I haven't actually read any of the posts until now. I'm really into crime drama and it seems to have some brilliant writers on board. I'm going to watch last night's program now :)

moonstorm
07-07-2010, 12:06
I think you will really enjoy this Abby, let us know?

alan45
07-07-2010, 12:07
I watched it but didnt really enjoy it despite it having some excellent actors. I thought the whole thing was a bit far fetched and cliche ridden. How they hope to maintain a series based on identity theft is beyond me

Dazzle
07-07-2010, 15:36
Loved Aiden Gillen, its a bit confusing at the end.

It was confusing. I've read that he's in love with a woman he met whilst undercover...that must have been her he was staring at in the end. He must have assumed his undercover identity again to go and see her? As moonstorm says, it'll probably be a thread running through it.

Alan - I can understand why you didn't like it. You're right that it was cliche-ridden, but I thought the good outweighed the bad in the first episode, and showed promise of being very good. We'll have to see how the series progresses.

Chloe O'brien
08-07-2010, 00:06
Not as good as I thought it was going to be but I'll stick with it for a couple of more episodes to see if it improves.

alan45
08-07-2010, 00:46
Not as good as I thought it was going to be but I'll stick with it for a couple of more episodes to see if it improves.I will give it a whirls next week to see if it improves

Abigail
08-07-2010, 10:02
I think you will really enjoy this Abby, let us know?

I did enjoy it. I was pleased to see Eyles Gabel (Guppy in Casualty) back on screen. It wasn't the best drama I've seen but it was pretty good.

Alan, I see your point. Six episodes focusing solely on ID theft is going to be a challenge. There's only so many ways they can take the show.

moonstorm
08-07-2010, 10:24
Ok so mixed reviews on this one, lets see what next week brings.

Perdita
08-07-2010, 12:52
12 July 2010

Episode two: Chelsea Girl

IDENTITY, a new six part ITV drama series starring Aidan Gillen and Keeley Hawes, follows an elite police unit formed to combat the explosion of identity-related crime.

Ed Whitmore’s newly created IDENTITY is here to tackle the darker side of reinvention: murderers who literally take other people’s lives, criminals who create new personas to escape evil pasts, impostors who look, talk and sound just like us but would kill you in a heartbeat.

Episode two guest stars Joanne Froggatt.

The Identity Unit are investigating the murder of British Olivia Knighton (Laura Aikman) in Australia. Hours after her death, records showed another woman using her passport to enter the UK. A game of cat and mouse ensues but the impostor Jane Calshaw (Joanne Froggatt) remains one step ahead.

Once Bloom (Aidan Gillen) realises they are dealing with someone fulfilling a psychological need rooted in childhood, he knows they have to find Jane’s dad in order to work out what she’s got planned.

Eventually Bloom has to pull out all the stops to get Jane to confess what she’s done to her father’s new fiancé. He gets the result but the rest of the team are left unsettled by his methods – especially Anthony (Shaun Parkes).

Perdita
08-07-2010, 12:54
19 July 2010

Episode three guest stars Sarah Smart and Phil Davis.

Amy Quilan (Sarah Smart) is on the witness protection scheme after she was convicted of helping her husband Brian (Ian Dunn) kidnap Lucy Sinclair ten years ago – a kidnap that resulted in Brian being convicted for the little girl’s murder. When her true identity is revealed on a blog, the Identity Unit are called in to help protect her. When Bloom’s secret life as Brendan calls for him to leave the safe house to deal with his lover Adile’s brother all hell breaks lose when Amy’s son Sam (Harrison Edwards) is abducted on Bloom’s watch. The Identity Unit have to work out a way of meeting the kidnapper’s ransom demand – and that means finding out one way or another where Brian buried Lucy. But Bloom (Aidan Gillen) can’t help feeling that Amy is holding something back. When he witnesses her reunion with Sam, Bloom’s convinced that she’s really not as innocent as she claims. His hunch pays off when the team follow her and find out that she planned the whole abduction in order to get the money.

Abigail
08-07-2010, 14:29
Who was the woman in the green top who sat at her desk most of the time? I can't remember where I've seen her before.

Dazzle
08-07-2010, 15:22
Who was the woman in the green top who sat at her desk most of the time? I can't remember where I've seen her before.

You might mean Holly Aird. She used to be in Waking the Dead, playing the pathologist.

Abigail
08-07-2010, 16:01
You might mean Holly Aird. She used to be in Waking the Dead, playing the pathologist.

Yes, I remember her now.

Perdita
13-07-2010, 19:14
Monday, 26 July 2010, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

Reparation

Episode Four:

Bansi Dutta (Ramon Tikaram) is about to buy a UK company and the British government are very keen to see the deal done. When Bansi’s dentist claims an impostor has taken Bansi’s place the Identity Unit are asked to surreptitiously get a DNA swab to prove that Bansi is the real Bansi in order that the government doesn’t give £50 million to an imposter. Bloom (Aidan Gillan) has to work undercover to get a swab – but Bansi is ill, reclusive and highly protected. When Bloom finds the ‘real’ Bansi imprisoned, Bansi’s nurse stymies him – Jamilla (Shivani Ghai) knows what’s in the boot of Bloom’s car – the dead body of Atif (Youssef Kerkour). If he blows their cover, she’ll blow his. Bloom’s got to work out what’s more important – saving his own skin or doing his job properly?

Dazzle
14-07-2010, 16:54
I was disappointed that the second episode of Identity was as messy and ridiculous as the first. I'll keep watching 'cos I like Aiden Gillen :o, but it's hard work listening to some of the poorly-written dialogue. In this episode, Bloom actually said "she's killing her a second time", which really made me cringe.

DaVeyWaVey
15-07-2010, 16:13
It's all a bit too cliche, copper with a past etc. However, I think it''s a good concept and I will keep watching hoping that it improves. If the writing was a bit more up to scratch and not so cringeworthy, then it could be a real hit. The good stories and a good cast of actors are there - it's just the script that needs improving.

Chloe O'brien
15-07-2010, 20:19
I enjoyed this week's episode more than last week, though it is a bit predictable.

Perdita
19-07-2010, 15:09
Monday, 2 August 2010, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

When Miriam Brolin’s (Jenny Seagrove) DNA matches that of wanted criminal Nadia – a revolutionary turned terrorist who’s been on the run for 25 years – the Identity Unit’s job is to get her to confess to being an accomplice to a murder of an innocent bystander that her fellow comrade Marco Robson (Clive Russell) was convicted of. Miriam and Marco abscond together and help comes in the form of DCS Robert Thacker (Tom Mannion) – the original investigator on the case. Soon he’s forced to reveal that before Miram was ‘Nadia’ she was ‘Sandra’, an undercover officer infiltrating the terrorist group for Thacker. Eventually it transpires that Marco didn’t kill the bystander, it was Sandra – and Thacker made sure that Marco took the wrap for it. Miriam’s intention was to clear Marco’s name but she will stop at nothing to make sure Thacker doesn’t blow her cover to Marco…

Abigail
23-07-2010, 11:59
I haven't watched anything past the first episode for various reasons, mainly the tv is packed up for moving. If the catch up player was as good as the iplayer I might consider watching. ITV needs to hire some writers of the BBCs calibre to pull off drama.

Chloe O'brien
24-07-2010, 03:24
The best thing about this drama is AAiden Gillen. It could have been a cracking drama but it had the wrong cast.

Perdita
26-07-2010, 16:19
Monday, 9 August 2010, 9:00PM - 10:00PM

SERIES FINALE

IDENTITY, a six-part ITV drama series starring Aidan Gillen and Keeley Hawes, follows an elite police unit formed to combat the explosion of identity-related crime.

It’s the worst day of Bloom’s life. The Identity Unit have had an anonymous tip off to the location of Atif’s body. Anthony (Shaun Parkes) followed Bloom (Aidan Gillen) and saw the whole thing and he’s intent on making Bloom quit. Bloom soon catches on that Anthony’s knows something – but when Adile (Agni Scott) is brought in to the unit for an interview, Bloom sees that he has no choice but to resign. His ‘other’ life comes back to haunt him in the worst way when Martha (Keeley Hawes) is abducted by Halit (Ken Bones), Adile’s father. Martha manages to somehow get through to Bloom that he’s got to stop living a lie and he is forced to decide between his love of Adile and being John Bloom, full time…

alan45
20-08-2010, 00:56
ITV is set to axe crime drama Identity after just one series - because of disappointing ratings.
The six-part series starred Keeley Hawes, 34, and Aiden Gillen, 42, as cops investigating villains who take on other people's identities.
It got a healthy 5.6million viewers and a 24 per cent audience share for its launch last month, but fell to 3.4million and 14 per cent by the final episode.
An insider said: "Executives weren't happy with the ratings and the fact they got worse as the show went on wasn't a good omen."
But an ITV spokesman insisted no decision has yet been reached.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3103694/ITV-to-axe-crime-drama-Identity-after-one-series-due-to-poor-ratings.html#ixzz0x6DkGNiH
Cant say Im too surprised or disappointed. It really was ****e

Chloe O'brien
21-08-2010, 01:54
You know who spoit this drama. Keely Hawkes and the british need for a romantic storyline. Aidan Gillen and Holly Aird were the two best actors in this drama and the good old uk had to ruin it with non-exsitant romance. Aidan is a cracking actor who shines playing the bad ass character, he doesn't want to play all that lovey dovey crap and Holly can hold her own. This is what pi$$es me off between uk and American drama's. It doesn't matter about the plot the UK always have to have romance above quality drama.