PDA

View Full Version : New Series of Single Handed

alan45
09-04-2010, 01:41
Simone Lahbib (Wire in the Blood, Monarch of the Glen), Matthew McNulty (Five Days, Lark Rise to Candleford) and Sean McGinley (Lewis, Closing the Ring) join Owen McDonnell, as police sergeant Jack Driscoll, to film a new series of SINGLE-HANDED.

ITV and RTÉ have commissioned Touchpaper Television, part of the RDF Media Group, to make a brand new six part series of police drama SINGLE-HANDED which will film entirely on location in the wilds of Connemara for the next 12 weeks.

This series will see Jack Driscoll facing new challenges as he continues the lonely role of policing his rural terrain in the West of Ireland. Jack lives above the Garda station now. His deputy, Finbarr Colvin (David Herlihy) is opportunistic and venal which often leaves Jack working single-handed with back-up a very long way away.

There are many occasions when there is no time for the due legal process; natural justice is what Jack has to impose. And that is when he is morally tested. The community is watching him…and judging him.

This series of SINGLE-HANDED promises yet more muscular, emotionally complex stories. While Jack continues to delve into the secret life – and past – of his Connemara community in order to solve crimes he also has cause to look into his own family secrets. Matthew McNulty joins the cast as Brian, a cousin Jack never knew existed. Brought up in England, Brian returns to Ireland to discover the truth about his family. Simone Lahbib is Brian's girlfriend Gemma who joins him on his voyage of discovery and finds herself drawn to staying in Connemara for her own reasons.

Sean McGinley is Costello, a retired Guard who has taken over Mallon's bar but has more sinister ambitions and readily exploits former police colleagues in a bid to undermine Jack. And award-winning actor Stephen Rea (Father & Son, Ondine) guest stars in the first two-parter.

Following its transmission on RTÉ Television to large audiences and critical acclaim SINGLE-HANDED debuted on ITV1 as a three-part drama last summer. More than 4 million viewers tuned in for its premiere, and the drama received rave reviews for its subtle depiction of rural life set against the stunning landscapes of the west of Ireland.

SINGLE-HANDED is made by Touchpaper Television, part of the RDF Media Group. It is written by Barry Simner (The Vice, Midsomer Murders,) Clive Bradley (City of Vice) and Colin Teevan (How Many Miles To Basra). Thaddeus O'Sullivan (Silent Witness, Into the Storm) will direct the first two-parter and Charlie McCarthy (On Home Ground, Joking Apart) the second.

It is produced by Clare Alan (The Vice, A Harlot’s Progress, Wild Decembers, A Most Mysterious Murder). Rob Pursey (The Vice, Being Human, Murderland, City of Vice) is the executive producer.

alan45
09-04-2010, 01:43
This is fantastic news. A great set of storylines set in Beautiful Connemara. For those who missed the first series please be sure to tune in to series 2. To those who watched series 1 then you will not need to be told to tune in.

Chloe O'brien
09-04-2010, 11:20
I watched the first series Alan and I have to agree it was a great drama with stunning Irish scenery. Only drawback is Scotland were about three month later than the rest of the country seeing this due to the disagreements with Itv & Stv over which programmes they will view. So who knows when we will see this series.

alan45
09-04-2010, 11:37
I watched the first series Alan and I have to agree it was a great drama with stunning Irish scenery. Only drawback is Scotland were about three month later than the rest of the country seeing this due to the disagreements with Itv & Stv over which programmes they will view. So who knows when we will see this series.

If you have Sky then you will be able to watch it on RTE

Dazzle
09-04-2010, 15:05
I'll be watching this. I really enjoyed the first series.

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2010, 00:44
I don't have sky. I'm with virgin media. Alan. I'll try and catch it on itviplayer thought.

alan45
10-04-2010, 00:46
I don't have sky. I'm with virgin media. Alan. I'll try and catch it on itviplayer thought.

Who knows maybe STV will show it this time.

Chloe O'brien
10-04-2010, 00:59
They showed the first series. It was just about six months after the rest of the country. i almost missed it. then i remembered you talking about it on here. Lovely scenery almost as breath-taking as the islands of scotland.

Dazzle
10-04-2010, 16:44
I'm also with Virgin, Chloe. I'm in Wales but can still get the English channels. They are listed in the 800s on the channel guide.
I don't know if it's the same in Scotland. :D

Katy
10-04-2010, 16:58
this was a brilliantly series, and i love the west of ireland! ill be tuning in.