PDA

View Full Version : 'Spooks', 'Waking The Dead' tipped for axe

Perdita
20-01-2010, 09:12
BBC dramas Spooks and Waking The Dead are both facing the axe, a report has claimed today.

According to the Daily Mail, both shows are likely to return for only one more series each due to the corporation's forthcoming revamp of its drama output.

The BBC's director of drama commissioning Ben Stephenson recently confirmed that a number of high-profile programmes are to end in the near future.

A ninth series of Spooks, which stars Hermione Norris, has already been confirmed for BBC One's autumn schedule. Detective series Waking The Dead has also been commissioned for another run which is to air in 2011.

However, discussing long-term strategies, a source said: "There just isn't that much more to be done with Spooks, it does feel very tired as a format. It seems the right time to try something else. Viewing figures are dwindling and it has seen an exodus of its biggest names in recent years."

A BBC insider added: "Waking The Dead is going because they cannot afford to make it anymore and it has pretty much run its course."

Responding to the speculation, a spokesperson for the corporation commented: "It is not true these shows have been cancelled. Spooks will return for a new series in the autumn and Waking The Dead will be back on screens in 2011."

DS

Perdita
20-01-2010, 09:54
The BBC has denied that Spooks and Waking The Dead are facing the axe.

Earlier today, reports surfaced which suggested that both shows were likely to return for only one more series before being dropped.

However, a BBC spokesperson told Digital Spy that the reports are completely false.

"They are not facing the chop or being cancelled. We have no plans to axe either show as they remain hugely popular with our audiences."

The spokesperson also confirmed that Spooks will return for a new series this Autumn, and Waking The Dead will be back in 2011.

DS

StarsOfCCTV
20-01-2010, 11:02
However, a BBC spokesperson told Digital Spy that the reports are completely false.

Waking The Dead will be back in 2011.

DS

I should hope so too! ITV have been axing brilliant dramas like there's no tomorrow, if the BBC started doing that I'd be so annoyed.

But...2011 for Waking the Dead?! That's ages away! :(

alan45
20-01-2010, 11:19

"

No change there then

Dazzle
20-01-2010, 14:35
I really hope Spooks hasn't been cancelled as it's one of my favourite programmes.

Abigail
20-01-2010, 20:59
No change there then

Do DS "journalists" sit at their desks and make stuff up in the hope of eliciting a formal confirmation or denial from the relevant people?

Good news that Spooks is returning.

Is Waking The Dead the one with Trevor Eve? I thought the last series was brilliant.

I think the BBC need to put more effort in to Silent Witness. I know it costs a hell of a lot to produce but it's such a brilliant drama and very accurate in terms of science compared to similar shows (CSI)

StarsOfCCTV
20-01-2010, 21:15
Is Waking The Dead the one with Trevor Eve? I thought the last series was brilliant.

Yes it is. :)

alan45
21-01-2010, 01:06
Do DS "journalists" sit at their desks and make stuff up in the hope of eliciting a formal confirmation or denial from the relevant people?

Good news that Spooks is returning.

I think the BBC need to put more effort in to Silent Witness. I know it costs a hell of a lot to produce but it's such a brilliant drama and very accurate in terms of science compared to similar shows (CSI)

If the so called journos at DS had bothered to read the full article in this mornings Daily Mail they would have noticed that the BBC denied that Spooks and Waking the Dead were being axed. Instead they just cut and pasted without reading the whole article. Still it meant they were able to produce another ''SCOOP'' later by reporting the BBC denials.

People should be careful what they cut and paste without reading. Sometime quality falls in a bid to increase quantity.

DS aka Rumour Central aka Deadenders Fan Club

StarsOfCCTV
30-10-2010, 18:57
The BBC's long-running detective drama Waking The Dead is to be axed after the next series, according to The Sun.

The paper reports that the show, which follows a cold case police unit investigating unsolved murders - is being shelved to make way for other dramas.

Waking The Dead made its debut in 2000 and has been popular with viewers ever since, still pulling in figures of around 7m an episode.

And the show has made Trevor Eve one of Britain's highest paid actors, earning around £1m a year for his role as workaholic cop Peter Boyd.

BBC drama chief Ben Stephenson told the paper that the show would go out with a bang, saying the final series would be "shocking and compelling".

"It is always hard bringing successful series to an end," he said, "but like Ashes to Ashes and Mistresses we wanted to end on a high.

"Several months ago we asked the production team to script the last series with this in mind."

The final series will be screened in 2011.

Source: WhatsOnTV

Chloe O'brien
30-10-2010, 22:08
Why do the axe the good dramas. How about some of the crounty shows or endless cash in the attic shows. I'll be gutted if Spooks goes as well.

StarsOfCCTV
30-10-2010, 23:06
Because Cash in the attic is probably dirt cheap to make. :( Gutted, love Waking the dead/Silent witness type drama. If Spooks is axed I will be fuming. :p

Its like Midsommer murders and Wire in the Blood all over again...