PDA

View Full Version : The Undercovers

tammyy2j
18-12-2009, 16:53
Soul Food grad Boris Kodjoe has landed the male lead in The Undercovers, the new NBC husband-and-wife NBC spy drama from J.J. Abrams and Josh Reims, sources confirm.

Kodjoe will play Steven, the sharp, smart, and very attractive half of the show’s central couple.

Earlier this week, Gerald McRaney was tapped to play the CIA operative who serves as the duo’s boss.

Still to be cast: Steven’s wife, Samantha.

tammyy2j
13-01-2010, 13:47
J.J. Abrams has found his next great heroine.

English actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw (Doctor Who) has nabbed the coveted female lead in Undercovers, the new NBC dramedy about married spies from Abrams and Josh Reims.

Mbatha-Raw will play the role of Samantha Bloom opposite Soul Food’s Boris Kodjoe, who was previously cast as her husband, Steven Bloom.

Gerald McRaney co-stars as the couple’s boss.

NBC confirmed this week that Abrams will direct the Undercovers pilot.

So, who’s Mbatha-Raw? The 27-year-old actress is best known for her recurring role as Tish Jones in Doctor Who. Other credits include UK dramas Spooks and Bonekickers. Most recently, she appeared on Broadway in Hamlet opposite Jude Law.

Dazzle
13-01-2010, 13:50
I hope we get this in the UK.

lizann
04-05-2010, 14:10
JJ Abrams' new spy drama Undercovers has been picked up for the 2010-11 season, NBC confirmed today.

The show stars Boris Kodjoe and British actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw as married couple Steven and Samantha Bloom, who were two of the CIA's best spies until they fell in love on the job and retired five years ago. When an ex-colleague goes missing, the pair are reactivated and thrust back into the world of espionage.

"We have tremendous confidence in this promising series and feel this is a great way to kick off our upcoming Upfront development announcements," said Jeff Gaspin, chairman at NBCU. "J.J. has delivered another signature series, along with our partners at Warner Bros., and we couldn't be happier."

Abrams, whose credits include Lost, Fringe and the similarty-themed Alias, co-wrote, produced and directed the pilot. Abrams' Alias partner Bryan Burk serves as an executive producer on the series.

tammyy2j
20-08-2010, 16:58
Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Boris Kodjoe have claimed that their Undercovers characters have a strong relationship.

The show focuses on Samantha and Steven Bloom, a married couple who retired as spies five years ago but are forced to return to the job to rescue an old friend.

Speaking in a video on the official site, Mbatha-Raw explained that Samantha is deeply in love with her husband.

"If he wasn't listening, she'd probably say that he's kind of her hero," she said. "I mean, he's saved her on many occasions and he is the love of her life... I think that's in her heart of hearts. I don't know that she would always say that."

Meanwhile, Kodjoe said: "I think Steven would definitely say [Samantha] is the love of his life. She's his soulmate. I mean, she was the reason, supposedly, that he left the secret service - to live a regular life... But at the same time, I think he would describe her as someone he has tremendous amounts of fun with. They laugh a lot."

However, Kodjoe hinted that the relationship may face problems in the future, saying: "He loves her. He loves her more than life. And that's why it's going to be quite a challenge when they get back to the service."

Undercovers premieres on September 22 on NBC.

lizann
22-09-2010, 11:43
Alias creator J.J. Abrams is returning to the spy genre with Undercovers, a new NBC comedy-drama starring Boris Kodjoe and Gugu Mbatha-Raw as married couple Steven and Samantha Bloom. When an old colleague goes missing, the retired pair are forced to return to the spy game to save him. We caught up with Boris and Gugu to chat about working with J.J. and balancing romantic banter with kung-fu action.

What is the balance like on the show between comedy and drama?
Boris: “It's 73% drama and 28% comedy!”
Gugu: “It's a really wonderful combination, because we have this relationship at the core of the story. There's the romantic elements and there's also the action. We're getting to kick a lot of butt but there's also the comedy side of it as well, just because of the banter [between us]. We had this wonderful script bestowed on us by J.J. Abrams and Josh Reims.”
Boris: “You've got the romance and a lot of action and drama. For an actor, it's great because you get to play so many different things on a daily basis, so it's very exciting.”

How does the show balance the spy aspect of the series with your characters' personal lives?
Boris: “It's a great mixture, because we're dealing with a relationship here between married people who are trying to maintain their love. That's challenging enough as it is. You add the spy element to it and it becomes even more challenging. It's fun for the audience to see us go through our regular, everyday marriage obstacles and banter as we travel the world and try to fight evil. It adds an element of escapism to real-life drama, which is a very interesting balance.”
Gugu: “When they were in the CIA, they made a pact that they wouldn't discuss any of their missions with each other, so initially their domestic life and their spy life are very separate. As we go along the lines gradually become blurred. They become not just a married couple, but also partners in a work sense. They're quite competitive and they also have various secrets that are revealed as we go along.”

How were you cast on the show? Did you audition opposite each other?
Boris: “It was actually a contest and we were the lucky winners!”
Gugu: “I auditioned from New York because I was doing a play on Broadway at the time. My tape got sent off to LA, then I got flown there to audition, which is where I met Boris. We auditioned together and that's how we first got to know each other.”

How much training did you have to do for the action sequences, and did you enjoy filming those scenes?
Boris: “A lot of training! We started 8 months ago. J.J. really wanted to make us into fighters, because he wanted us to be flexible when we were shooting scenes. Depending on the country and the fighting art-form, we had to be ready. We've been training for a while now. It was quite challenging at first but we're getting better and better at it. Especially Gugu – she does all of those action sequences in five-inch heels, which is not easy! What really is amazing is that we get to play these characters day-in, day-out, and they're so multi-faceted. We get to do different things every day.”

Does working with J.J. Abrams make you more confident that the show will be a success?
Gugu: “You can never be complacent about these things, but J.J. is so inspiring. He's got such a terrific imagination and energy and creativity. He's worked in the spy genre before, but he's pushing new boundaries for himself. You can't be complacent. Hopefully people will like the show, but we're having a lot of fun.”
Boris: “It's going to be interesting to see, because most people know J.J. from a specific sort of genre, and this is completely different. Hopefully viewers will embrace it, regardless of the fact that it's not something they're used to him doing.”

Do you feel any pressure for the show to match the success of J.J.'s other projects?
Boris: “It's more excitement than it is pressure. We've been doing this for a while now and we're still entrenched in our work. We can't wait for the world to finally see what we've been up to. It's been so much work, but it's been so excellent and so much fun. Everybody's worked so hard for so long that we cannot wait for an audience to see it and give us feedback.”

Undercovers begins on Wednesday at 8/7c on NBC.

tammyy2j
05-11-2010, 12:47
J.J. Abrams first post-"Lost" TV gambit didn't make it through its first season. NBC confirmed Thursday that it will not pick up the final nine episodes of the freshman drama "Undercovers" from producer Warner Bros. Television. The show dipped to a season-low 1.3 rating Wednesday night "Undercovers" will depart its regular Wednesday 8 p.m. timeslot after Nov. 17. Production of episode 12 is currently underway, and network officials say they'll keep their commitment to their initial 13-episode order ... although they're not sure what they'll do with the final episodes.