PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher: 'Plot could have been dreadful'

Perdita
06-11-2009, 18:41
Neighbours star Alan Fletcher has admitted that the Kennedy family's current surrogacy storyline could have been "dreadful" in the wrong hands.

In recent months on the Australian show, Ramsay Street stalwart Susan (Jackie Woodburne) has been seen going ahead with plans to become a surrogate mother for her daughter Libby (Kym Valentine) and son-in-law Dan (Brett Tucker).

Discussing the surprise plotline in an interview with Holy Soap, Fletcher, who plays Kennedy patriarch Karl, confirmed that he is pleased by the way the scenes have been handled.

He commented: "The notion of a mother being a surrogate for their daughter is something you can't pretend is not controversial. The writers embraced that and showed how Susan's decision divided the community, and has potential to divide the family.

"It's a very strong story and played in the wrong way could be dreadful, but Jackie Woodburne is so consummate in the way she's crafted this performance, so I know people will find it riveting."

Speaking about his work with screen wife Woodburne, Fletcher added: "Jackie and I go back a very long way. She played my sister in a television show in the early '80s. We enjoy a very special relationship in the sense that as actors we are very trusting of each other, and we assist each other in our work without ego.

"Off screen we are great friends and always have been. We share a similar sense of humour and we are great pals."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s14/neighbours/news/a185544/fletcher-plot-could-have-been-dreadful.html

LostVoodoo
07-11-2009, 17:55
i do think the storyline is being done pretty well and i like the idea of a mum being surrogate for a daughter, makes sense to me. however, i wish they would just mention once that Susan is more than a bit old to be having a child, the woman who plays her is 53!

Perdita
07-11-2009, 18:22
Karl certainly pointed this out repeatedly when Susan first suggested that she wanted to be the surrogate

Katy
07-11-2009, 21:49
Whatdoes he mean could. It's awful!!!!

LostVoodoo
08-11-2009, 11:16
Karl certainly pointed this out repeatedly when Susan first suggested that she wanted to be the surrogate

but yet the hospital didn't seem to care. and she got pregnant first time around with no problems!

Perdita
08-11-2009, 12:30
But this is soapland :)

tammyy2j
08-11-2009, 12:50
It is dreadful