PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Justice

tammyy2j
05-10-2009, 14:25
Criminal Justice Series 2 begins tonight at 9pm on BBC One

After a highly-successful first series - and a Bafta to prove it - Criminal Justice is returning to our screens for a second five-part run this week on BBC One. Penned once again by Peter Moffat, this time the series follows Juliet Miller, a woman in desperate trouble after a deadly run-in with her controlling husband. We hooked up with leading lady, former Shameless star Maxine Peake, to find out more about the new series.

What's your character Juliet like?
"She's a wife of a high-flying barrister, she lives in a very nice but sparse and sterile house in Islington, she has a beautiful, bright 13-year-old daughter called Ella, but she's suffering from depression and years of systematic bullying from a very controlling husband. At the beginning she's quite a broken woman. We don't really see what the original Juliet was like - she's a woman on the brink, really, when we come into the story."

What's the relationship like within the family unit?
"It's a very strained relationship. Well, it is domestic abuse, really. She still feels she's in love with her husband, she feels that maybe she has contributed to his behaviour and that the bullying and the over-controlling is necessary. It obviously isn't but she's lost all her self-confidence, self-worth and self-esteem. She's got a daughter who she has quite a strong relationship with, because she's having to look after a very depressed mum, which a 13-year-old girl shouldn't really have to do."

Some of the scenes are incredibly traumatic. What was it like filming that stuff?
"Well, it can be difficult but then again it's only acting - well, not 'only acting', I hate saying that but you can't really go, 'Oh, it's really hard' - go and get yourself a job on the ward of an NHS hospital and then we'll tell you what's hard work. A lot of Juliet's situation I've never been through personally, so you've just got to use your imagination and a lot of empathy and hope that people will believe it and go with it."

How does the story progress after the first episode?
"Juliet gets thrown into the legal system and her daughter gets thrown into the world of social workers and care. It's Juliet's story but everyone else has such a big part in it - you've got Sophie Okenedo, who plays my solicitor; Zoe Telford, who's the barrister; Denis Lawson, who's the policeman; and Nadine Marshall, who's a social worker."

Lennie
05-10-2009, 20:39
Looking forward to this

alan45
05-10-2009, 22:17
How good was that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent acting by all concerned.

That ginger haired detective is a real creepy ba$t**d.

Caint wait until tomorrow

Well done to all involved

Abigail
05-10-2009, 22:36
I think I'll be watching this on iplayer tomorrow. The BBC produce some great drama so I'm hoping this is up there with the best.

Katy
06-10-2009, 09:51
Ill have to watch on iplayer, i missed it! Last time this was on was so good so i dont think i will be disappointed, especialy with MAxine Peake, she is one of my favourite actresses.

Chloe O'brien
06-10-2009, 23:58
I'm going to watch it on iplayer as I missed it last night because I was watching single-handed.

Hannelene
07-10-2009, 11:22
I did find the first episode a little slow to get into but I expect it was to build up the suspense. It was well acted and I never managed to watch the first series but I feel I missed out on something good. I think this show will fill the void of The Street not being on TV anymore :(

Abigail
08-10-2009, 22:30
I'm finding this incredibly moving. It's a hard call to make: on the one hand Juliet took her time choosing the weapon, thinking about it then stabbing her husband but he raped her and bullied her for years. She was having an affair but she was also depressed.

It's difficult to know which side I should or would take, condemn or acquit.

I think the real victim in this is Ella. It's terrible that she saw her father in that state, watched him die and then her mother says she did it for her.

Going to watch the third episode now. I'll write a bit more later.