PDA

View Full Version : FlashForward

lizann
22-09-2009, 15:44
FlashForward is quite undeniably the most buzzed-about new series this season. With heavy comparisons to Lost, the drama charts what happens when the whole world blacks out for exactly 2 minutes and 17 seconds, during which time they experience 'flash forwards' of their lives six months in the future. The cast is aptly stellar, and includes Joseph Fiennes, John Cho, Lost's Sonya Walger and her former co-star Dominic Monaghan. But could FlashForward really be the next big thing? We called up the show's leading lady to find out more.

What can you tell us about your character, Olivia?
"She's the main woman in the show. My husband is an FBI agent, played by Joseph Fiennes, who is put in charge of working out what happened. She's a trauma surgeon in her own right so she's working at the hospital and dealing with many of the casualties of the event and therefore many of the stories. She had her own flash forward which was very troubling - she sees the end of her marriage. She sees herself with another man; a man she's never met before and she confides that in her husband. She thinks it will help by revealing that information to him, but it ends up making them both feel very unsettled. They have a child, little Charlie, who has also had a flash forward even though she's only seven."

Having worked on both Lost and FlashForward now, what do you make of the comparisons between the shows?
"I think they're only valid in that they're both big ensemble shows with one big concept or premise. But after that, they part ways really quite rapidly. FlashForward is definitely not a sci-fi show. It doesn't have the mythology of Lost. We have one major event that happens that you are asked to buy into. After that, you're dealing with very human ripple effects - how people deal with it and how they come to terms with it. There are six-and-a-half billion people that have blacked out, so that's potentially six-and-a-half billion stories to tell! Believe me, we're not telling all of them. But we're about to start [filming] episode eight and I'm so surprised by how far the ripple has been felt."

Are the FlashForward scripts kept equally as secret?
"These scripts are kept very, very secret. Each script has a watermark on it with your name. My script has my name on every single page, so if it was found in a trash can or on a website, it would have my name on it so it would be directly my fault if that script leaked. We have to hand our scripts in when we're finished with them so that they can shred them! There is very tight security - they hand-deliever my scripts to my house as well. The essence of this show is the element of surprise and the gradual discovery of it, so it would be a tremendous shame if the secrets got out before the show had even launched."

Will your involvement in the final season of Lost affect your role on FlashForward?
"I don't know if I'm in the final season of Lost - no-one tells me anything! My hunch is that you'll see Penny again because I can't believe that they would just never refer to her again, but I have no idea. Luckily, they're both ABC shows, so it's in-house. I'm not being traded across party lines!"

When Lost ends, do you think fans of the show will jump on-board FlashForward?
"I hope so. I think Lost is like losing a friend or a relative or someone. You can't replace it with another one. Lost holds a very special place in people's hearts and I wouldn't presume to say that FlashForward will replace Lost. I think it provides a lot of the same adrenaline and fascination and entertainment. It will help ease the pain of losing Lost! I think it will appeal to the very same audience."

Do you think that's why yourself and Dominic Monaghan were brought on board?
"It's hard to say. On the one hand, I hope I was chosen because I was the best person for the part. I don't think it hurt that I was on Lost and people liked my character and people want to see what else Penny is up to. And I think the same is true for Dominic. It doesn't hurt that either of us were on Lost and it doens't help that John Cho was on Star Trek. It doesn't hurt that Joe Fiennes has done many great films! Any time you cast an actor, you don't just cast that actor; you cast all their other performances as well. Nobody assumes that just because I'm in it, the whole of the Lost audience will watch it."

How has it been working with Dominic again? How do your characters come across each other?
"It's funny because I'm actually filming with Dominic for the first time - our paths never crossed. We had one scene together where I was on a small TV screen, so we actually shot that apart - he was in Hawai'i and I was in Broadway doing Frost/Nixon. We never actually met until he came to do FlashForward. This far, we still haven't done a scene together! I met him on the set and we've hung out at some photoshoots but I've yet to do a scene with him. He seems great. I'm sure he's a lovely guy!"

Did Robert J. Sawyer help with the show?
"His book was where the idea for the show came from, so [executive producer] David Goyer approached Sawyer to buy the rights and that happened very smoothly, but no - he didn't help. He came to the set to visit and he loved the pilot, loved the script. He's seen the pilot and he loved it. I gather if all goes well, Goyer has asked him if he'd like to write an episode of the show - assuming we go past our initial pickup of 13..."

Is the show quite similar to the book?
"It's very, very different. It's a good, fun book and it's a great science fiction read but it's not the show at all. They've taken the premise from the book to make the show but in the book, people have flash forwards that are much different - it can be like 60 years, not the six months it is in our show. You could read the book and have a good time but you wouldn't find out much about our show."

April 20 has been mentioned as a key date for the show. Can we expect a big, climactic episode on that date?
"I would imagine so, yes. But I have no idea! You'll be fed stuff throughout the season - I think that's what's interesting about the show. You don't have to wait five seasons to find out what's going on! There will be mysteries solved all the way through. You'll be surprised how quickly you get information about who's doing what. It's a very gratifying show."

FlashForward begins Thursday at 8/7c on ABC. In the UK, the show premieres Monday, September 28 on Five.

Trinity
22-09-2009, 18:18
Ooooh, sounds intriguing..

angel_eyes87
22-09-2009, 22:31
The adverts on five look amazing, this should be interesting viewing and a replacement for Lost when it ends after this season

Lennie
28-09-2009, 22:03
I liked the episode, half of the time i felt i was watching a movie, and my dad came into the room and said 'what movie is this' lol

tammyy2j
29-09-2009, 13:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25kXHgWg938

Abigail
04-10-2009, 21:52
I saw a trailer at the cinema the other day and it looks brilliant. I'm going to catch up on the five website later.

Chloe O'brien
04-10-2009, 23:24
I watched it on Friday as I missed it on Monday, and I have to say it's bloody good although a couple of things were predictable. Loved the scene with the two female doctors talking about kids. One doctor was talking about her son and say to the other that she wished she had a daughter like the second doctor. The second doctor say's are you crazy you only have to worry about one penis I have to worry about them all.

Meh
05-10-2009, 20:39
Its trying to be too much like lost. I thought the main actor was very wooden. I will be watching it in the hope that it improves.

Abigail
05-10-2009, 22:34
I watched the first twenty minutes of the first episode. I thought it was pretty average and didn't watch the rest. Probably won't bother with the rest of the season :thumbsdow

Meh
05-10-2009, 22:49
I watched the first twenty minutes of the first episode. I thought it was pretty average and didn't watch the rest. Probably won't bother with the rest of the season :thumbsdow

Just watched the second episode and tbh wasn't that great. Let's hope it picks up

Abigail
05-10-2009, 22:51
It reminded me of The Day The Earth Stood Still, one of the worst films I've seen. Very much overhyped and didn't live up to expectations.

Trinity
06-10-2009, 06:36
Am I the only person who loved the show? I can't wait for next week!

Siobhan
06-10-2009, 14:25

I don't have 5 so I can't say if it is good or not :(

tammyy2j
06-10-2009, 14:26
RTE have also picked up this show

Siobhan
06-10-2009, 15:32

What station and when?

Meh
06-10-2009, 20:19

My wife did as well.
There's a paradox which needs to be explained. If you have a vision of yourself in the future, then surely you (in the future) must already know what is to happen?

Chloe O'brien
06-10-2009, 23:22

I'm loving it Trin

Trinity
07-10-2009, 17:29
This show is not being described as sci fi, but rather as a drama serial with a premise at the start that you have to accept unquestionngly.

In real life if we saw the future, the we would beable to change it or we would have to accept that everything is predestined, and that free choose is an illusion.

In tv land we can just accept that these people saw a glimps of their future and enjoy the fallout.

tammyy2j
08-10-2009, 11:45

What station and when?

not sure i only know RTE accquired the rights to the show hopefully it will be on soon

Abigail
08-10-2009, 12:00

What station and when?

not sure i only know RTE accquired the rights to the show hopefully it will be on soon

Autumn/winter is the guide date for RTE 2, so any time now really.

LalaGaga
09-10-2009, 23:06
I love this show!

Abbie
12-10-2009, 11:12
Ive starting watching it now :D

Meh
13-10-2009, 00:03
Just watched the latest episode and IMO it was pants. The missus loved it though :searchme:

Perdita
13-10-2009, 07:00
ABC has ordered a full season of new drama FlashForward, it has been announced.

The back nine pickup includes the episode that marks the six-month point foretold by the titular event.

FlashForward, which stars Joseph Fiennes, Dominic Monaghan and Sonya Walger, has helped the network to the number one spot in the 18-49 demo in its Thursday night slot.

ABC has also given full season orders to three freshman comedies: Courteney Cox's Cougar Town, faux documentary Modern Family and Patricia Heaton's The Middle.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a181735/flashforward-gets-full-season-order.html

Abbie
13-10-2009, 09:33
I didnt see it last night

I like it though I mean its not amazing but I like the idea

Trinity
14-10-2009, 13:38
I am still liking it.

I do think that Joseph Fiennes should lay of the botox though.

CrazyLea
16-10-2009, 01:10
I really am liking this show at the moment. I fear it is going to get more confusing each week ha!

Where is the guy who didn't have a flashforward from? I have seen him before??

Abbie
16-10-2009, 13:31
When does it repeat?

Chloe O'brien
17-10-2009, 00:35
Fridays at 10pm on CH5 or you could try fivedemand to see if you can catch the missed episodes.

Meh
18-10-2009, 23:10
OK. Didn't know what to make of this:

The main FBI agents wife is about to have a relationship with one of the perpetrators? WTF?

Apart from that it was a better episode - just. At least the acting was slightly better

miccisy
29-10-2009, 13:58
its quite confusing and i bet it gets even more so but it is good. One of those programmes that is just about to get to a good bit n then finishes.
I hope it doesnt go on for many seasons cos it seems when american series are good they drag em out for ages n then they get boring

tammyy2j
29-10-2009, 17:03
Paula Newsome will join the cast of FlashForward for a number of upcoming episodes, reports Entertainment Weekly.

The Woman's Murder Club alumnus will play a doctor in a story arc which will air in 2010.

Abbie
07-11-2009, 17:28
its quite confusing and i bet it gets even more so but it is good. One of those programmes that is just about to get to a good bit n then finishes.
I hope it doesnt go on for many seasons cos it seems when american series are good they drag em out for ages n then they get boring

I agree

Im slowly getting into it more and more.....when I remember to watch it

Chloe O'brien
08-11-2009, 02:11
It's like many US dramas you have to watch every episode to keep up with the plot. Not one of the best dramas to come out of the US but it's alright. I'm still watching every Monday.

Abbie
08-11-2009, 15:27
Yeah I agree its not the best but I love the idea behind it and enjoy the plot, well the plot that I can follow :p

Perdita
09-11-2009, 15:29
FlashForward's executive producer David Goyer has revealed that several new characters will be introduced later this season.

Speaking to MTV News, Goyer confirmed that the Somalian boy from episode three will be making a return as an adult.

"We have already written that character as an adult," he said. "We're hoping to have a certain actor play him. We haven't nailed it down yet, but we're crossing our fingers."

Michael Ealy will also be arriving in the role of Miles Fogel, who Goyer said will be a "new thorn in Detective Benford's side". The character is expected to become a series regular from episode ten.

The ninth episode, titled 'Believe', will explore Bryce's vision and introduce viewers to the Japanese woman he saw.

"That's the subject of episode nine, which is almost entirely his episode. We introduce another of our cast members in that one - her name is Keiko. She's from Japan, and I can't say too much more about who she is, but she's involved in Bryce's story."

FlashForward continues Thursday at 8pm on ABC in the US and Monday at 9pm on Five in the UK.

Perdita
24-11-2009, 10:37
ABC has reportedly halted production on freshman drama FlashForward.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show, which stars Joseph Fiennes and Sonya Walger, will take a six-day hiatus and is expected to resume production next week.

A rep for the network is quoted as saying: "They want to maintain the high quality of the show, and this gives the writers the opportunity to do so."

FlashForward has pulled in an average of 9.43m viewers over its nine-week run. The last episode, which aired Thursday, November 19, managed just 8.01m - a new low for the series.

Last week, production on ABC's Cougar Town came to a stop after Courteney Cox left the set to deal with a private family matter.

From DS

Abbie
08-12-2009, 17:42
Was this on last night?
I couldnt find it

Trinity
09-12-2009, 08:33
It has stopped for a Christmas break, I think.

Abbie
09-12-2009, 21:34
Oh yeah! that would make sense cos other shows im watching at US pace have done the same, I keep forgetting cos normally we are behind

tammyy2j
04-01-2010, 12:56
Starts tonight on Irish TV RTE 2 at 9pm

Perdita
11-01-2010, 15:21
FlashForward's executive producer David Goyer has vowed to unravel the show's plot when it returns in March.

Speaking in a group interview on the show's set, Goyer promised to "answer a ton of big questions" in the second half of the season.

"'Who Suspect Zero' is will be our first episode back," he said. "Even in that first episode back, we answer a ton of big questions, and pretty much every episode afterwards, I can't think of a question we don't answer by the end of the season."

He also revealed that fans of the show will get a sneak peek at what's to come when ABC airs a recap show - including new footage - before its full return on Thursday, March 18.

"If you're a loyal viewer, we're going to drop a bomb at the end of that one, too. If you watch that episode and you're a loyal viewer, you're going to get a critical piece of information a lot sooner than you would in the life of the show."

Perdita
11-01-2010, 15:21
David Goyer has revealed what will happen if FlashForward is commissioned for a second season.

The first run of the ABC drama, which stars Sonya Walger and Joseph Fiennes, has failed to perform well in both US and UK ratings, suggesting it may not return for a second run.

However, Goyer remains optimistic about season two and teased fans about the storylines going forward in a recent group interview.

"You're going to start meeting some of the faces of the enemy, starting with episode 11," he said. "We'll meet a bunch of them in the second half of the season.

"One of the other interesting things is we'll start to let you in on who the people that engineered the blackout are and why. There are a couple more that are coming and assuming we go into season two, one of those guys will be a series regular in season two."

FlashForward returns Thursday, March 18 on ABC.

Abbie
15-01-2010, 17:32
Is it back yet?

Chloe O'brien
16-01-2010, 02:57
David Goyer has revealed what will happen if FlashForward is commissioned for a second season.

The first run of the ABC drama, which stars Sonya Walger and Joseph Fiennes, has failed to perform well in both US and UK ratings, suggesting it may not return for a second run.

However, Goyer remains optimistic about season two and teased fans about the storylines going forward in a recent group interview.

"You're going to start meeting some of the faces of the enemy, starting with episode 11," he said. "We'll meet a bunch of them in the second half of the season.

"One of the other interesting things is we'll start to let you in on who the people that engineered the blackout are and why. There are a couple more that are coming and assuming we go into season two, one of those guys will be a series regular in season two."

FlashForward returns Thursday, March 18 on ABC.

Flashforward are trying to do a 24 by introducing the baddie halfway through the series. It would have worked if there hadn't been a winter break. Doubt if five sign up for a second series it depends what night it is shown on in it's return.

Dazzle
16-01-2010, 15:41
It's a shame. Flashforward started off so well, but they didn't manage to keep up the tension like in Lost.

I'll perservere with it and hope it improves, though. Plus, I would like five to show the second series (if there is one).

Abbie
16-01-2010, 17:12
I do like it but cos of the content and the idea of the show I find it hard to see how it could run for a long period of time

tammyy2j
18-03-2010, 15:03
It's been four months since FlashForward fans last caught up with agents Mark Benford Demetri Noh and the rest of the Mosaic team investigating the Oct. 6 global blackout. However, viewers won't have to scratch their heads much longer, as the series returns with all new episodes Thursday at 8/7c. Who is Suspect Zero? What's next for Mark? How does Aaron Stark fit into all this? TVGuide.com talked with the cast and crew to get those answers and more.

1. There's a new face on the team: As previously reported, Michael Ealy will be joining the cast for the rest of the season when his character, CIA agent Marshall Vogel, teams up with the FBI. Although Vogel clashes with most of the team from the get-go, he and Mark will find a way to make it work. "There's a nice chemistry between the two," Fiennes says. "There's one bit where they actually get together to discover who might be a mole. Their opposites kind of bring a good result." Which brings us to ...

2. A familiar face will return sooner than expected: Yes, that was Mark who was suspended at the end of the last new episode. And yes, Mark will spend some time with an FBI therapist but comes across a big lead in the case in the process. "He can be dismissed in one episode and back the next," Fiennes says. "He proves himself while being suspended; he manages to break an investigation the FBI couldn't do so they bring him back."

3. We'll finally learn more about Simon: There's a lot to be desired when it comes to knowledge about the mysterious Simon but he will continue to work closely with the team, and forms a unlikely bond with Janis. "They get each other," Woods says. "That's a really interesting relationship that happens throughout. I wouldn't say that we become friends but we work together a lot. She definitely has some insight into Simon that I think other team members don't have yet." Viewers will also meet Simon's family (yes, he has a family). "You get to understand that yes, he's kind of an obnoxious character, but the motivation is one of protecting the people he loves," Monaghan says.

4. Janis will definitely have her hands full: On top of keeping Simon in check, Janis will be one of the few actively working toward making her flashforward, where she is pregnant, come true. "You do kind of see her questioning her place at work and you see unravel a little bit in order to arrive at the decision that she wants to have a baby." Woods says. "There's a lot of information about how she's trying to get pregnant, whether or not it's working, and how she's able to kind of fulfill that prophecy."

5. If you thought Olivia and Mark's relationship was complicated before, you ain't seen nothing yet: Olivia and Mark's marriage has been in deep water since Day One, when Olivia saw herself with another man (Lloyd) in her flashforward. Walger says Olivia will become more "instrumental" to the Mosaic investigation, just as her marriage takes another turn for the worse.

6. Aaron Stark's story will start to figure into the bigger picture: Until now, Aaron and the return of dead daughter Tracy has remained largely in the background. That won't stay true for long, though. "We get much further into that story in the second half of the season," says executive producer Jessika Borsiczky. "It starts to tie into other parts of our plot that are surprising. There's more to it because Jericho [the American private military contractor thought to be after Tracy] has its fingers in a lot of places."

7. Fans will finally get some answers: Borsiczky promises the series "will have a lot more fun answering questions" in the season's second half. One big question? The identity of Suspect Zero, the only person who was awake during the blackout — a discovery that will greatly affect the rest of the season. Fiennes says viewers will find out what the connection is between Somalia (a location believed to have experienced an earlier blackout) and the Oct. 6 blackout.

8. With more answers comes new questions: Despite his character's murder inching closer to realization, Cho says two other key questions will emerge that take hold of the Mosaic task force. "We will find out that there's another blackout that's supposed to happen and we are working to prevent that from happening because we're not sure how it's going to go down," he says. Demetri and the team will also discover there's a mole within the task force who is leaking valuable intel.

9. Everything viewers know now is wrong ... maybe: As we get more answers and learn more about individuals' flashforwards, some of the fans' early assumptions and information may come up short. "Everything we knew in the first half is maybe wrong," Cho says. "We spend the second half, to some degree, in disarray."

tammyy2j
14-05-2010, 10:47
Its cancelled

Dazzle
14-05-2010, 11:04
Aww, that's a shame. I've been enjoying it.

moonstorm
14-05-2010, 13:00
ABC cancels 'FlashForward', 'Scrubs'
US TVABC has reportedly cancelled a number of its shows.

According to Entertainment Weekly, the network has decided not to pick up time-jump drama FlashForward for a second season.

The series, which focused on a worldwide blackout during which people saw the future, had been struggling in the ratings and was expected to be cancelled.

Elsewhere, long-running comedy Scrubs, which was rebooted for the ninth season, has also been axed. Alyssa Milano's new series Romantically Challenged, which premiered last month, has not been picked up for a second season and Better Off Ted will not return to the network.

Chloe O'brien
15-05-2010, 01:15
Flashforward would have survived if they hadn't had a break mid season. I lost interest when it returned as it clashed with other programmes that I watch. If they had a continuing run of the series then it may have made a second series..

Trinity
03-06-2010, 14:28
I really liked Flashforward and watched it to the end - I am gutted that it has been cancelled, but I guess it will leave me more time to study..

Perdita
03-06-2010, 14:38
Hi Trinity, good to see you here again :D

Trinity
03-06-2010, 14:40
Hi Perdy, I might just be visiting - I can't make head nor tail of the new layout....

How are you doing?

Perdita
03-06-2010, 14:42
I am good thanks, how are you? We going to get told off because we are off topic lol

lizann
04-06-2010, 12:07
Does the finale answer everything?

Trinity
04-06-2010, 13:04
No, in fact it sets us up for the second season that is not going to be forthcoming, bad times.

lizann
20-07-2010, 16:00
US network Starz is reportedly in talks to revive the recently axed sci-fi drama FlashForward.

Fans of the series have staged protests at its cancellation and have also set up a Facebook group campaigning for the show's renewal.

One fan recently posted on the group: "I just called Starz and the rep told me that they are aggressively seeking the license for FlashForward and that a lot of people have been calling about [the show]".

The campaign is now encouraging fans to call Starz and support the renewal.